Pads: your first choice?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nope, I for one didn't get it at all. Read your post several times and still have no idea how my first choice of a pad synth is related to my behavioral patterns. May have something to do with my behavioral patterns though.

Privet s mixgalaxy, kstaty ;-)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Vospi wrote:You need a pad to play a sequence of beautiful emotional chords, and the first VSTi you usually load is..?
Well it depends of what kind of pad I'm after. So in the end, for me, it down to synthesis types/

If I want an FM pad, I'll go straight to FM8. If I want a warm analog pad, it is usually the PolyKB, Oxium or the Xils 3. If i'm more after DCOs analog with multiple modulations and animation the Synthix. If I'm after WaveTables it could be Massive, but usually it will be an Ensoniq hw thing, and if I'm after sample based material, it will often be the Hw road, like a Kurzweil, or even a Roland rompler. MachV, Kontakt or Omnisphere could do the job as well, its just that I know better my good old hw synths.

Tbh my favorite is still some nice combinations, like my eternal fav one : analog + fm ( Oxium + Fm8 ) : Warmth, details, organic life, expressivness, its all there. But sample based + FM or Analog works very well as well, you can get really huge pads with that. More difficult is the blending of wavetables synths with other types, because there's often so much happening in the WT pads I like that usually adding something may be risky.

Also, digital synths like Diversion or Dune are Ok too. Or additive. I tend to fire them less often, its true, but when I do, there are allways some good surprises.

Lots of other synths can do nice pads tbh. Also you can find on my site many *pads only* demos for various synths. This is just what we did with these synths, but it might be worth a listen for those who wonder how this or that synth handles pads.

fwiw,

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Vospi wrote:I very much appreciate every advice and pad thought posted here, this thread is being very inspirational to me.

Saw a couple of funny guys here, so I want to say something. Please note to yourself that this thread is VERY specific. I'm not interested in "best pads out there" or something.

I'm interested in behavioral patterns.
And your thoughts on them.

You got it, right? Good, let's hear more opininons in peace.
I already have a full list of things to check out thanks to everyone who contributed.

:love:
Who cares what YOU wanted? This is what WE have turned the thread into.

Take it or leave it. :evil:

Aroused by JarJar wrote:I'd like to hear a modulated PWM pad from Omnisphere that does not use any of the sample library, only the built-in oscillators.
Give me 2 hours. I have to go to dinner with my wife, then I will post a bunch...

Wow, that's a difficult one.
In no particular order.

Diversion
Razor
Massive
Zebra
Lush
Virus
Omnisphere
Albino 3
Dune
Alchemy
Sytrus
Harmor
Morph
Absynth
Largo
Other Reaktor synths

I like Pads.

PatchAdamz wrote:Wow, that's a difficult one.
In no particular order.

Diversion
Razor
Massive
Zebra
Lush
Virus
Omnisphere
Albino 3
Dune
Alchemy
Sytrus
Harmor
Morph
Absynth
Largo
Other Reaktor synths

I like Pads.
But what about your behaviour? I like Absynth and I've just spent a lot of time just programming in it. Does that make me a bad person?

And I'm so old, I might have to make use of Pads soon if I want to stay dry. :lol:

SODDI wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:Wow, that's a difficult one.
In no particular order.

Diversion
Razor
Massive
Zebra
Lush
Virus
Omnisphere
Albino 3
Dune
Alchemy
Sytrus
Harmor
Morph
Absynth
Largo
Other Reaktor synths

I like Pads.
But what about your behaviour? I like Absynth and I've just spent a lot of time just programming in it. Does that make me a bad person?

And I'm so old, I might have to make use of Pads soon if I want to stay dry. :lol:

"But what about your behaviour? I like Absynth and I've just spent a lot of time just programming in it. Does that make me a bad person?..."

Depends on what kind of sounds you made.
If you had to ask then..... :o

jeffb01 wrote:
Aroused by JarJar wrote:I'd like to hear a modulated PWM pad from Omnisphere that does not use any of the sample library, only the built-in oscillators.
Give me 2 hours. I have to go to dinner with my wife, then I will post a bunch...

okay, here are lot of va only pads from omnisphere. I just went thru a bunch of presets so sometimes the tail would get cut off a bit. I didn't make these patches:

https://soundcloud.com/suicidemission/o ... s-using-va

Here's a patch using samples that I made. I made it myself so it's kind of a big deal. It reminds me of my bloody valentine or something...

https://soundcloud.com/suicidemission/p ... omnisphere

Favorite, lots of resampling and time stretching and so on. Most used is just z3ta and kontakt libraries. Usually effects are half the pad 'patch' for me, anyway.

I'm going to sell some synths and this made it easier for me to choose!

@OP : For soundscapes and evolving long pads, my first choice is Absynth

SODDI wrote:
Who cares what YOU wanted? This is what WE have turned the thread into.

Take it or leave it. :evil:
:lol:

@ The rest of us:

M1 for first ideas and fast bread and butter pads.

Absynth/Wavestation for long evolving or morphing pads.

Massive/Z3ta+1\+2 for strong pads with presence.

Polysix/ Legacy Cell/ Mono/poly and khs One for classic pads.

The above are not rules, they are just in general what I think. In the end I just use something that I feel nice and fit. I tweak some knobs or draw some automation if I want to control the Pad behaviour!

For doing pads there are too many to mention (especially analog pads) but here are some more on the digital side which belong to my favorites:

- Wavestation (both hardware eand plugin) : still the king of pad sounds... :)
- Blofeld (hardware)
- Waldorf PPG wave 3.V
- Tone2 Rayblaster
- Tone2 Nemesis
- PPG WaveGenerator (for PC)
- Linplug Spectral
- NI FM8
- Diva (Digital Osc, especially Supersaw and Feedback Osc + Uhbie filter)

Like already mentioned for pure analog style pads there are to many choices including the paraphonic sounds in my Pulse 2.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

M-Audio Venom

Diversion does some very nice pads.

Omnisphere isn't bad but these days I prefer non-sampled pads.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Various synths, of course, but lately the Wavestation has become a favorite again. Particularly when I want a more transparent-sounding string pad that fills out the sound without being obtrusive - WS is good at that by default without much additional fuss needed.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Massive, since I've made a soundbank for it, I'll have to drag it to hell with me, because some sounds are worth it, haha
It's modulation allows interesting things and it has great effects which you can modulate too, multiple filters, waveforms, negligible cpu load about which I don't care.
Of course ominsphere is the king, but... haha

at 18:04 and 27:55 are some Massive examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVFFQ5Qs0yM?t=18m4s
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

Return to “Instruments”