Talk to me about IL "Edison" nope, won't work here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've watched a bunch of viddys on it and it might be my solution but I never hear people talking about it so don't know.

Problem: Live doesn't do squat in audio editing, especially not in session view. I've tried wavasour and ocean audio and they don't jive with me at all. It seems terribly difficult to do simple things like inserting silence and then it's totally destructive, if you accidentally hit save before you are ready, bye bye :roll: Though you must save back to project in live, you can easily drag/drop the edited file in and keep the old. Handy.

What my main questions are:

-It's unclear what the vst vs standalone would do in live. I don't understand the diff.
-stability?

I'm x64 win7 and it says it's an x64 plug. I'm guessing that running "edit" in live is irrelevant since it's a separate thing?

Edit, crashes galore, not stable, doesn't help my predicament , given up

EDIT again: One of the worst products EVER tried. Just horrible, terrible...
Last edited by hibidy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

I haven't bought it because of this review:

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... son-205565

But sometimes I've encountered people here who are using it and they didn't seem to have problems with it...

I wonder how much it's changed in 5 years?

hibidy wrote:

-It's unclear what the vst vs standalone would do in live. I don't understand the diff.
-stability?
Well you just load it up on an audio or master channel (usually) and hit the button and it records what is going on at the moment. You can get it to trigger in other ways such as when a sound is heard or a threshold met. Beware that this needs admin privileges so will not work in a standard installed Studio One for example. There are others, but beyond the scope of this advice, just keep it in mind. I use it in live all the time. After so quickly recording your audio in be it on the channel or master bus, it has a funky little icon which if you drag to an audio track it exports the thing there in all its glory. This is just the best little audio recorder/wave editor you will ever find. And the functions it provides with its editing is also exemplary.

As for stability, that is down to your host. It can crash EnergyXT2 sometimes. But on the whole, especially with Ableton it is very stable. Just save often and don't go overboard - treat it with respect and you should be good. This is cutting edge stuff. What other audio editor of this ability can you load into any DAW? None to my knowledge. Not inline. It also works very well with Studio One but will only work with an admin account ( a true admin account - not run as ). But I have tested it with this scenario and it is super stable. How Energy XT2 remains so stable with so much software is a mystery to me. It tends not to like big files and iirc, it will include the recorded file in the save adding to its size. But most people don't use EXT2 so I'll v
give up there.

It will run standalone anyway, and it is almost worth getting for this functionality alone. As always. This is a superbly engineered piece of audio software. It is a joy to use, and you will have NO problems using it standalone. A bonus is that it can be resized and works very well from full screen to a couple of inches. No problems with resizing at all. This is a very well engineered piece of software by programmers that have very few peers.

hibidy wrote:

I'm x64 win7 and it says it's an x64 plug. I'm guessing that running "edit" in live is irrelevant since it's a separate thing?
I run my Edison in my x32 versions of my hosts as I never use x64 except for testing. Even though I have 8GB of RAM, I never hit the wall so...

I run the x64 version standalone on my desktop iirc, but I'm not in windows now to check. If you run Edison in a 32 bit version of Ableton you will want to install the x32 version, if you run an x64 version of Abe you will want the x64 version of Edison. Same as everything else really.

I run all my plugs x32 except when standalone, like Geist, I will run the x64 version.

Ist das Klar?

As a free alternative - basic but quick - check http://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/

This is a very flexible and easy to use bit of kit. It doesn't have the real time wave drawing display of Edison, but it never fails, is lightweight and super super stable because is does not have all the extra graphics. I use Edison maybe 70 percent of the time and Voxengo recorder the rest.

I looked for years for this type of thing, but these are the only two I use now. And the voxengo can be quickly slipped into an insert or master bus just as easily. FREE.

Edison is very useful, the only problem with it is there is no Mac version.

Tricky-Loops wrote:I haven't bought it because of this review:

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... son-205565

But sometimes I've encountered people here who are using it and they didn't seem to have problems with it...

Good catch!

That is five years old now.

I use Edison every day practically in one way or another with half a dozen hosts.
No dramas. I noted where there might be - Studio One not allowing it to drag files recorded to the tracks because of lack of admin privs. Unless you are using a TRUE admin installed S1 (which no one does really).

EnergyXT2 can be a bit unstable.

Everything else I use - REAPER, FLStudio (obviously it's built in you chump ;-)), Ableton 8 and 9 - all good. Sweet as. It's benefits far outweigh any disadvantages - the only one being slight instability with big files and saving, but if you are sensible and use it to 'CAPTURE' within a track - you then drag to an audio track and erase the original - this is good practice. You will see. There is nothing complicated about this plugin. And the super super quick ability to hit the record button and get going and get feedback in real time - well, I don't know of anything else in the world that does that.

I criticise Image-Line for many things. I am brutal with them. But this is not one. This is a superb bit of software that does something that nothing else does. (Apart from the free Voxengo Recorder if you have no cash).

(EDIT, I got all my quotes messed up so I'll just be general)

Wow, thanks for the explanation!

I feel personally that I would have it set up under "edit", which I'm guessing launches the standalone, and then drag/drop the edited files back into live.

Not sure I follow the "admin privileges" part though. I run with the UAC killed and dead. I never have to have "admin privileges" for anything I do.

hibidy wrote:I feel personally that I would have it set up under "edit", which I'm guessing launches the standalone, and then drag/drop the edited files back into live.
But that's "destructive editing" which you can do with every other audio editor like Audacity or Wavosaur, too. For example, with my REAPER I can open an audio file in Audacity or Wavosaur with one click, then I edit it and it appears (edited) in REAPER again...

But then I have BOTH files ;) If you use wavosaur, you can't have the original and the edited file.

Are you sure that the STANDALONE version does non-destructive editing and the "non-destructed-edited" audio files can be imported into the DAW? I thought only the VST plugin does that and you had to put it on the track...

They have it for 79 bucks at GC DD.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Are you sure that the STANDALONE version does non-destructive editing and the "non-destructed-edited" audio files can be imported into the DAW? I thought only the VST plugin does that and you had to put it on the track...
According to this:

I wonder what the demo restrictions are. I'm assuming that save or D/D are not available.

hibidy wrote:(EDIT, I got all my quotes messed up so I'll just be general)

Wow, thanks for the explanation!

I feel personally that I would have it set up under "edit", which I'm guessing launches the standalone, and then drag/drop the edited files back into live.

Not sure I follow the "admin privileges" part though. I run with the UAC killed and dead. I never have to have "admin privileges" for anything I do.
Don't even begin to get into UAC or admin rights. NO one knows about this - not security experts and least of all the DAW developers.. It will work with what you have or it won't. 90 percent will work - don't worry. Still the main plugin will work, just not the drag and drop functionality.

Don't worry about it.

Yo load Edison as an insert like an FX like a comp or EQ. It will then record what is on that channel. If you want it to record the whole lot - you put in in an insert on your master bus. Or whichever bus. It records what it has coming in. Be it insert, drum bus, master bus.

Once this is on an insert/bus, you then prime it by pressing the record button - recording is instant and super quick - there is no f**king about with this plugin. It keeps going till you tell it to stop. It records a mono shape of the wave to save space so do not let this fool you, it IS recording in stereo.

If you then save the song, it will automatically save that recorded wave with your host, whatever the host. Beware of file sizes. But, there is a kinky little button on the right, drag that to an audio track and voila your recorded wave is now on that track as if it has been imported, which it has. Check, then delete what you have in Edison, you don't want a duplicate. Save song. Mission complete.

Nothing else does quite what edison does. And nothing does it as easily. Be mindful that you can use it as a full window audio editor or have it set up to be your standard 'audio editor' in hosts. Perfectly scalable. Forget plugins/DAWs - it's tools like this you need. I promise you, it will bring a smile to your face and give you a major boost in productivity to your workflow. It's a few bucks. I got mine in the sale or wouldn't have bothered. But I'm glad I did.

I use Wavelab (old version), Wavosaur, Audacity, Soundforge and Acoustica. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Not one of them can be loaded into a host and do its tricks. Plus Edison can be run standalone. It is superb.

We can argue why Image-Line need to change their attitude as a company later. :-)
(As if they would listen).

I have used Edison for years and I absolutely love it. If you're still considering, get it now! You won't regret it.
[Insert Signature Here]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”