One-Synth-Challenge 60: Any One Synth - Chat & gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cool, thanks. :)

Hi folks,

This special will be epic, and I'm looking forward to hearing all the contributions! If I manage to find the time to participate, I will probably use Massive. I have one question on the rules:

NI Kore software includes all the Massive factory presets, and each preset also has 7 other variants in Kore that one can morph in-between. Can I use Massive within Kore to access those preset variants? So, Kore would purely be used as a VST plugin plugin, similar to Phrazor. I believe multiple DAWs are allowed, and this doesn't differ too much from that concept.

If the answer to the above question is "yes", can I also use the effects within Kore? (This is just to know the boundaries; I don't have any particular reason or desire to use them at this point.)

[Edit] To clarify my question on the Kore effects, I am only asking about the kind of effects normally allowed by the rules, i.e., not modulation, pitching, etc.

Good luck to all!

Kore is a thing I will never be able to understand, but it seems to me the presets in Kore will in effect be pay-for presets and there's a rule against those: "Commercial 3rd party synth patches/soundbanks are not permitted"

About using the effects in Kore, is Kore considered a DAW? (I am asking honestly, Kore baffles me)

V'ger wrote:Kore is a thing I will never be able to understand, but it seems to me the presets in Kore will in effect be pay-for presets and there's a rule against those: "Commercial 3rd party synth patches/soundbanks are not permitted"

About using the effects in Kore, is Kore considered a DAW? (I am asking honestly, Kore baffles me)
He's basically using it as a host, but utilizing the feature where you can slowly morph between a preset. I guess I agree with you, unless he uses his own presets or free ones uploaded in to Kore?

Renoise has now got to a point where it's pretty much a synth - I mean you can draw in a single cycle waveform and then use an envelope, filter and modulate it... and stack up voices and so on. You see where I'm going here?

loft_electronics wrote:Renoise has now got to a point where it's pretty much a synth - I mean you can draw in a single cycle waveform and then use an envelope, filter and modulate it... and stack up voices and so on. You see where I'm going here?
In cubase you can draw waveforme in the Audio editing screen but of course would be quite annoying to play with that hehe

bjporter wrote:
V'ger wrote:Kore is a thing I will never be able to understand, but it seems to me the presets in Kore will in effect be pay-for presets and there's a rule against those: "Commercial 3rd party synth patches/soundbanks are not permitted"

He's basically using it as a host, but utilizing the feature where you can slowly morph between a preset. I guess I agree with you, unless he uses his own presets or free ones uploaded in to Kore?
Okay thanks guys. So let me see if I can paraphrase correctly:

- Using Kore as a host (within a DAW such as Sonar) is ok. Consequently using the Kore effects (delay, reverb etc) seems also ok?
- Using the Massive presets that come with Kore is not ok, even though they are variants of the Massive factory presets.

Not that I'm planning on using it but I'm guessing Arturia's Analog Lab would be in a similar category?

Same/similar paradigm...

H-man wrote:Not that I'm planning on using it but I'm guessing Arturia's Analog Lab would be in a similar category?

Same/similar paradigm...
The analog lab looks like a single vst, right?

Nup. It's very much a host environment with it's own FX and additional presets. You can access the editor for each of their synths directly but that is not the default view:

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/assets ... ew_650.png

One difference is that I believe Analog Lab only hosts the Arturia synths, whereas Kore can host any VST. If it helps with my workflow (I'll experiment with that this month) I might continue using Kore as a host in future OSCs as well ;)

adagiocm wrote:One difference is that I believe Analog Lab only hosts the Arturia synths, whereas Kore can host any VST. If it helps with my workflow (I'll experiment with that this month) I might continue using Kore as a host in future OSCs as well ;)
Yes, only Arturia synths, which are all commercial products and not relevant for the typical OSC rule set. :wink:

H-man wrote:Not that I'm planning on using it but I'm guessing Arturia's Analog Lab would be in a similar category?

Same/similar paradigm...
I would say that it's a synth collection and not 'one synth', however, within this months 'any' one synth (including commercial ones) rule, using it with one particular selected synth from that collection seems fine to me.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:

Same/similar paradigm...
I would say that it's a synth collection and not 'one synth', however, within this months 'any' one synth (including commercial ones) rule, using it with one particular selected synth from that collection seems fine to me.
Agree with that.

About Kore, if it's indeed a DAW/host the effects can be used like any other DAW/host. The presets must however be considered payware since they are not available for free and only available if you buy Kore, even if they are variants of the factory ones. Tbh I dare say a lot normal commercial presets are also variants of factory presets..

Thanks V'ger. Seems reasonable and fair.

Return to “Instruments”