Talk me into (or out of) cloud storage for backup

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks guys. Time for bed now. Will digest this all tomorrow.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

If I were to use the cloud as a backup medium, I would make sure I have a second copy in a location that I have physical access to.

Admits to not knowing what the hell it is really.
Is it a bit like torrents in reverse?
If so, what if a drive holding a vital bit of info is turned off?
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Just read the wiki article on it. I'll stick with the little black box I can see.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Thanks guys. Time for bed now. Will digest this all tomorrow.
I was driving to work yesterday and I thought of you......even though I do not know you from Adam.

The car in front of me had the number plate MU55 HHY.

Re: Cloud storage, the paranoid types following on from wikileaks and Snowden whistle blower antics are probably thinking of staying clear of the cloud. (Human) Memories tend to be short lived however.
You might find your pieces of work over the net but slowed right down and backwards where the Agencies were trying to find out the intent of what you are up to...... :borg:

Have fun

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A few sticks and some rotting leaves ought to do, maybe also the vagaries of memory.

robojam wrote:That's why I would rather go for one of the big companies that is unlikely to go out of business or be more likely to the the buyer in an acquisition (or at least to retain the brand name and product lines if they are acquired)
Yes true. Valid point. Google became my top preference for this reason, however they are quite expensive. I'd be looking at £15p/m. I will admit £15 is absolutely insignificant when we're talking about data backup, however...
Chapelle wrote:If you want to use the cloud only as a backup solution and don't have to access the data immediately when you need it, Amazon Glacier would be a cheap solution ($0,01 per GB per month).
This option is incredibly cheap and I certainly don't require data access immediately. It's solely as an off-site backup mechanism.

I will be investigating Amazon :tu:

werp wrote:Just read the wiki article on it. I'll stick with the little black box I can see.
True, it does make me a little nervous. I probably would continue to do a back-up onto the existing back-up HDD as well. The chances of me having a house fire and all of Google/Amazon's data warehouses burning simulaneously is rather remote.

Unless, of course, Zombie's arrive as per Vurt's comment. However, if that's the case I'd probably just hide down in the basement with Butter's until it's all over.

stonestreet wrote:I was driving to work yesterday and I thought of you......even though I do not know you from Adam.
:oops:
stonestreet wrote:The car in front of me had the number plate MU55 HHY.
Want. Mega want! :love:
stonestreet wrote:Re: Cloud storage, the paranoid types following on from wikileaks and Snowden whistle blower antics are probably thinking of staying clear of the cloud. (Human) Memories tend to be short lived however.
You might find your pieces of work over the net but slowed right down and backwards where the Agencies were trying to find out the intent of what you are up
Exactly. As if I'm worried. All they'd find on my cloud is GB upon GB of various little beeps and blurps. I'm hardly Daft Punk/Beatles/Nirvana etc.

In fact if anybody copied and/or sampled anything of mine I'd be over the moon.

Apart from this I only have movies/music that I can re-download again from iTunes and all my email is on Google. I'll only need this for my weird little noises.

This thread has got me looking more at Cloud Storage.

Amazon Glacier seems to be looking best for long term storage of data.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Cloud backup is not a reliable method of backup. It can serve as an additional layer of protection but in no way in the world could you rely on the cloud as a sole backup solution.

If going with cloud backup you still have to keep making local backups.

Cloud providers do suffer data loss themselves. Even the biggest ones like Amazon have had this happen.
Cloud providers could disappear overnight leaving you without your data. Or they could disappear on so short notice that you miss it or you have no time left to copy your data.
But the most common thing is the Cloud providers changing their terms and conditions overnight and unilaterally. This is very common so you could suddenly find out that your storage space has gone much smaller or more expensive. Some providers also delete data automatically if it exceeds their changed limit. Also cloud providers do not take absolutely any liability to keep your data safe and or backed up. They take absolutely no responsibility on anything.

Also take note that your ISP could any time limit your transfer speeds and quotas making backup and restore from cloud slow and painful. If you have capped data plan then you might not be able to restore your data if the plan goes over quote.

To cut it short, Cloud is not trustworthy nor reliable method of backup.

It could be useful for some additional protection though. Also take note that you should absolutely ENCRYPT all your data yourself if you put any of it in the cloud.
No signature here!

Thanks for those comments. I am just looking at additional long term storage of all my music files, just as an extra back up.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

I'm addition to my external backup I use Crsshplan for cloud. Pretty reasonable and it also gives you Web access to all your files instantly wherever you are. This saved me at work when I needed access to a sample from my home computer

robotmonkey wrote:Cloud backup is not a reliable method of backup. It can serve as an additional layer of protection but in no way in the world could you rely on the cloud as a sole backup solution.

If going with cloud backup you still have to keep making local backups.
OTOH... ;)

Local backup is not a reliable method of backup. It can serve as an additional layer of protection but in no way in the world could you rely on local storage as a sole backup solution.

If going with local backup you still have to have offsite backups.

And while I agree with you that there are no absolute guarantees with cloud backup solutions, to be fair, there are no absolute guarantees with local backups either; theft, fire, failure etc. Without metrics for which is more reliable, its not that constructive to say 'X could fail' without knowing how much more/less likely it is to fail than any other solution.

In fact, no single solution should be the only one in the first place. The only truly sane approach to backup is multiple redundant copies, including offsite. Cloud backup offers the latter part of that equation, and should be inherently multiply-redundant in and of itself. But as you say it shouldnt be used to replace all other backup solutions.

edit : noticed I'd said 'should' instead of 'shouldnt'. fixed
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”