What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

5433 posts since 13 Feb, 2006, from Wiesmoor, Germany

Postby Bronto Scorpio; Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm Re: Spire Synthesizer

The demo video sounds really nice!
I just downloaded the demo a few days ago, so I guess I'll have to redownload it :)

Thanks!

Cheers
Dennis
KVRAF

2358 posts since 13 Jul, 2005, from Australia

Postby soundpalace; Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:35 pm Re: Spire Synthesizer

Amazing update. Little tip, to drive the filters harder (especially the new ones), simply raise the volume of the oscillators. They do respond to input level :) Might be nice to have a dedicated oscillator drive level or similar so that you can drive the filter even harder than is currently possible. Absolutely LOVE this synth!!!! :)
KVRian

599 posts since 28 Dec, 2004

Postby hollo; Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm Re: Spire Synthesizer

What a surprise!
I was excepting a little update about the preset browser,
but this is HUGE!

Great sounding new filters, warm and soft modes, a lot of fun with the LFOs,
the level boost also very handy :tu: :clap:

Many things to discover again :love:
KVRian

840 posts since 23 Sep, 2005

Postby Muziksculp; Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:11 pm Re: Spire Synthesizer

Hi,

Great to see a new update, and features for Spire. :)

Did they improve CPU efficiency in Spire v 1.0.10 ?

I still find Spire a bit of CPU hog. But I have not yet updated to v 1.0.10 . Hopefully its a bit less of a hog now. (Any feedback on this ?)

Thanks,
Muziksculp
KVRAF

3447 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:38 pm Re: Spire Synthesizer

Tried it again. Nice sound but still too cpu heavy for me. Will try again in the summer!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Pick Me Pick me!

7540 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from in a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 pm Re: Spire Synthesizer

CPU usage is just right here.. and the sound is fantastic. Good job!! 8)
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
KVRian

761 posts since 21 Aug, 2011

Postby Phase47; Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:22 pm Re: Spire Synthesizer

VitaminD wrote:CPU usage is just right here.. and the sound is fantastic. Good job!! 8)

+1.
ATS
KVRAF

4173 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from MD USA

Postby ATS; Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:02 pm Re: Spire Synthesizer

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Tried it again. Nice sound but still too cpu heavy for me. Will try again in the summer!

what is your processor type?
KVRAF

7278 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:23 am Re: Spire Synthesizer

viewtopic.php?f=248&t=402995
I've uploaded a small preset bank I was working on. Maybe I'll finish it if I get Spire again. I hope it works in the new version. Enjoy.
It';s an attachment on the first post.
KVRAF

1773 posts since 27 Mar, 2010, from UK

Postby MFXxx; Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:28 am Re: Spire Synthesizer

Phase47 wrote:
VitaminD wrote:CPU usage is just right here.. and the sound is fantastic. Good job!! 8)

+1.

+2 :arrow: :tu: :phones:
Rintrah roars & shakes his fires in the burdend air..
KVRian

920 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Postby fisherKing; Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:53 am Re: Spire Synthesizer

ATS wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Tried it again. Nice sound but still too cpu heavy for me. Will try again in the summer!

what is your processor type?

it's an issue on os x, and/or logic. i have the problem too, but it's been better since the last spire update. (there are still some pads i can't use...) :(

but spire is great, and will use it as i can (and look forward to the summer update)..!
KVRian

819 posts since 28 Jun, 2005, from La La Land

Postby Orbit-50; Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:27 am Re: Spire Synthesizer

Surprisingly CPU usage is very high for this plugin. I can use all presets, but some are really not CPU friendly. But it's not as bad as Synthmaster which has a bunch of presets that I literally can't fire off more than one note without catastrophic CPU spiking. I never got why these plugins do this.

.-.
Intel Core i7, Cubase 7, Ableton Live 9 + Push, Halion 5, NI Komplete 9, Waves, Nexus 2, Spire, FXpansion, Alchemy, Waldorf Largo, z3ta+2, Rapture, Synthmaster 2, Ohm Force, GForce, D16 Group, Sylenth1, ArtsAcoustic, FabFilter and more...
KVRian

920 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Postby fisherKing; Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:03 am Re: Spire Synthesizer

Orbit-50 wrote:Surprisingly CPU usage is very high for this plugin. I can use all presets, but some are really not CPU friendly. But it's not as bad as Synthmaster which has a bunch of presets that I literally can't fire off more than one note without catastrophic CPU spiking. I never got why these plugins do this.

.-.

just complex functions, to create complex sounds. requires more processing power...like comparing the needs of iMovie to final cut... but programmers can find ways to strip down code, reduce the app's needs. so....summer 2014, hopefully we'll be able to use more of spire (and i can play some of those 'deep' pads...)
KVRian

819 posts since 28 Jun, 2005, from La La Land

Postby Orbit-50; Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:33 am Re: Spire Synthesizer

Amen to that brother.

.-.
Intel Core i7, Cubase 7, Ableton Live 9 + Push, Halion 5, NI Komplete 9, Waves, Nexus 2, Spire, FXpansion, Alchemy, Waldorf Largo, z3ta+2, Rapture, Synthmaster 2, Ohm Force, GForce, D16 Group, Sylenth1, ArtsAcoustic, FabFilter and more...
Pick Me Pick me!

7540 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from in a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:37 am Re: Spire Synthesizer

Orbit-50 wrote:Surprisingly CPU usage is very high for this plugin. I can use all presets, but some are really not CPU friendly. But it's not as bad as Synthmaster which has a bunch of presets that I literally can't fire off more than one note without catastrophic CPU spiking. I never got why these plugins do this.

.-.

Are you recording at 88.2khz or 96khz?? You've got a better CPU than me (i5 2500 here) and I've never got this with Synthmaster.. though I believe it will bog down if I play chord/string progressions on some of them.

In any case, fisherking is right.. the sound requires more complex math and thus more number crunching by the CPU. It sounds GOOD because it is doing more; the detail costs more to process. :)

I just hope the developers don't cave to the few still wanting more efficiency that they start to reduce the sound quality to appease... that is, if there is no more efficiency to squeeze out of the code.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments