Deeper into the archives

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

{shuffle}{shuffle}
Not been here for a while. Let's have a look.
{rattle}{rattle}{creeeak}
{click}{bzzzzt}{zzzt}
Hmm. Light works just about.
{clump}{clump}{clump}
{shuffle}
{rummage}
{rummage}{rummage}
{grab}{rub}
Interesting
{rub}{rub}
Hmmm.
{blow}
{COUGH}{COUgh}{Cough}
{cough}
Hmmm. Wassat? Wow! 1962!!!
This'll {cough} do.
{clump}{clump}{clump}
{click}
{creeeak}{snick}{cough}
Now, let's see what we can do with this.
{run}{rewind}{nudge}{edit}
{work}{work}{work}{work}{work}
{scratch}
{work}{work}{work}{tidy}
{run}
Better. Let's see what the folks think.

This was inspired in the early 1960s by an equisitely crafted model ship in full sail made entirely from blown and drawn glass. I used to play just the melody on a piano at first. By the mid 1980s I could play that insane bass line with my left hand as well. It wasn't until the early 1990s that I made a recording of it, and I think I posted an improved version here in the mid naughties. Now it's all growed up
:D

The Crystal Ship
ogg version
and
mp3

P.S.
Changed to see if the music tracker will now pick it up
Last edited by folderol on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Excellent! Digging into the archives was a good idea. I like it!

Digging deep here but worth it. Its sort of cute. Well done!

I sometimes imaging what people making music then would have come up with with todays technology... :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Nice with something different for a change.
This tune would fit perfectly in an episode of
Dr. Who
I get a picture of a dance hall where people and robots
well....dance.

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Thanks Guys.

@Allomerus
One thing I did originally, and wouldn't do now, was to ridgidly quantise most of the tracks. Today I would have preferred to keep the little 'errors' in my playing. The counter melodies, which were added more recently are exactly as played.

@sbj
I never cease to be surprised at the alternative scenarious that people think of - yours does indeed fit very well :o
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Cool, I could imaging doing the tango to this....
Really like the bell tone and bass line.
Entertaining!

We had some friends round tonight and I had the onerous task of polishing off a bottle of Rioja, so please take anything I might say with a pinch of salt (and a shot of tequila).

The first thought that came to mind when I played this was "ice cream". I have no idea why. Then it struck me that this music would make great title sequence music for a dark comedy series, something like The League of Gentlemen. It's ostensibly quite a light piece with some very pleasant melodies and sounds, but I'm also getting a darker intent at work here.

I thought the percussion was perfect for this piece.

I'm going to check out the freezer now.

Good work :)

very pleasant tune, first thing that came to mind while it was playing was Seismic eating ice cream.... i don't know why :shrug: sounded nice and spacious on the phones and i really liked the vintage elect drum rhythm. i been on a youtube trip sampling vintage beat boxes to use in my songs underneath acustic drums. enjoyed :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The first thing I thought reading the last two replies was "Oh no! My music's been stolen by an ice cream vendor" I don't know why :lol:

Thanks again mateys. I can see a darker interpretation now it's mentioned, although it was never intended. After all it was inspired by something stunningly beautiful (if I could ever find that ship I'd pay a lot of money for it).

Most of my older work has a trail of recordings and MIDI files, but this one fell through the cracks for some reason. The very earliest recording was done on a Yamaha SY22, but the oldest set of files I have are for a ZynAddSubFX arrangement with an SY35 providing the percussion. This latest one is 100% Yoshimi.

wow :-) this is so uplifting! makes me think of a 3 year old exploring his environment or so. beautiful!

cool! nice melody and arrangement.. Got me imagine the carousel at a funfair. pleasant and cheerful ambience

Thanks again guys.
Just as an experiment I'm re-listing the mp3 to see if a new post will put it on the tracker.

http://www.musically.me.uk/music/The_Crystal_Ship.mp3

Return to “Music Cafe”