One-Synth-Challenge 60: Any One Synth - Chat & gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking at this months contest with great interest...... only one problem is that i am a Muso and not a sound designer, so my focus should stay with the song composition without being too wrapped up in sound design... now my dilemma is this, that i wanted to use The Korg vsts like Wavestation and M1, especially because i cant design drums and now i realize that "romplers" are not actually allowed>>>... so i was thinking of going other routes with synths that have drum presets and this where i need your guys advice..... these are the following candidates that i own that came to mind>>>> Synthmaster, Electrax, Saurus, Nemesis, Ace, Diva, Pedator, Blue, Harmor, Bio Toxic, Sylenth and Dune >>> what makes it tricky is as far as i understand that no third party presets maybe used so that cancels allot of sonic options in these synths in terms of third party presets like the expansion packs found for Synthmaster and Tone2 synths... so i am wondering....
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

Yes, the drum sound is typically the biggest challenge with this competition, not an easy thing to make from scratch..

In my opinion, the best synth drum sounds I know are from Zebra (From your list I own Diva, Predator, Sylenth and Dune) but that's the one you don't have hehe.

In previous competitions we used Diva and to a degree Dune (we used the BE version = no effects), so check their drum sounds in action directly on the site.

TB4C wrote:I am looking at this months contest with great interest...... only one problem is that i am a Muso and not a sound designer, so my focus should stay with the song composition without being too wrapped up in sound design... now my dilemma is this, that i wanted to use The Korg vsts like Wavestation and M1, especially because i cant design drums and now i realize that "romplers" are not actually allowed>>>... so i was thinking of going other routes with synths that have drum presets and this where i need your guys advice..... these are the following candidates that i own that came to mind>>>> Synthmaster, Electrax, Saurus, Nemesis, Ace, Diva, Pedator, Blue, Harmor, Bio Toxic, Sylenth and Dune >>> what makes it tricky is as far as i understand that no third party presets maybe used so that cancels allot of sonic options in these synths in terms of third party presets like the expansion packs found for Synthmaster and Tone2 synths... so i am wondering....
Predator comes with loads and loads of presets out of the box (4400+ !!) so I guess that makes it a good candidate for you to use in this contest :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Also, I noticed the more time I put into learning drum synthesis / layering, the faster I am (MUCH MUCH faster) and have better ears for drums.

I would recommend spending time each month on a new perc if possible. Best of luck, and warm welcome to OSC

Is Harmor allowed?
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:Is Harmor allowed?
Yeah just not the audio resynthesis

I'll second that. Definitely worth practicing, reading some tutorials, and learning what makes percussion sound good. You can apply it to your work beyond OSC.
bjporter wrote:Also, I noticed the more time I put into learning drum synthesis / layering, the faster I am (MUCH MUCH faster) and have better ears for drums.

I would recommend spending time each month on a new perc if possible. Best of luck, and warm welcome to OSC

Any freeware tool like ( http://www.xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool ) LFO Tool by Xfer Records ?

Just found a possible tool ... seems like I might need to brush up on my math :party:
https://code.google.com/p/midi-shape-sh ... /Equations

We want to compete this month so badly, but it's also such a busy month already so no promises here.

Since it's allowed to use a commercial synth this month, it would be awesome if, for once, it's allowed to use commercial EQ/Dynamics/FX plugins too. We have some nice ones and it would be awesome to be able to use them! Just thinking out loud here.
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

abovethoughts wrote:Any freeware tool like ( http://www.xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool ) LFO Tool by Xfer Records ?

Just found a possible tool ... seems like I might need to brush up on my math :party:
Maybe this one: http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiCurve

There's much more on his website ;)
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

What synths are you guys using so far?

I can't really decide... maybe it's a good excuse to use a commercial GASy synth.

Sylenth1??
Massive?

My heart wants to do Synth1

abovethoughts wrote:Any freeware tool like ( http://www.xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool ) LFO Tool by Xfer Records ?

Nothing as far as I know.

TAL Filter has a similar draw-shape-filter, but not the MIDI out.

MidiSeq!, Phrazor and the new Minihost Modular has the draw-shape-to-MIDI, but not the filter.
solidtrax wrote:We want to compete this month so badly, but it's also such a busy month already so no promises here.

Since it's allowed to use a commercial synth this month, it would be awesome if, for once, it's allowed to use commercial EQ/Dynamics/FX plugins too. We have some nice ones and it would be awesome to be able to use them! Just thinking out loud here.
An idea worth considering, but I guess already too late to change anything now since we're 12 days in. Hope you get time to join though.

bjporter wrote:What synths are you guys using so far?

I can't really decide... maybe it's a good excuse to use a commercial GASy synth.

Sylenth1??
Massive?

I was determined to use my newly won Synthmaster, but after almost two weeks I'm still very much drowning into building sounds :? So I have to make up my mind :scared:

ThePresent wrote:
bjporter wrote:What synths are you guys using so far?

Sylenth1??
Massive?

I was determined to use my newly won Synthmaster, but after almost two weeks I'm still very much drowning into building sounds :? So I have to make up my mind :scared:
lulz, like drowning in the features? That synth does take a master, but if you can skip some of the more difficult parts a simple synth does lie within

I guess that is where I'm stuck: trying to be a master :lol:
Tonight I decided to be more humble. Let's just see where it gets me.

Return to “Instruments”