Waldorf Pulse 2: officially released (OS updated to v1.18)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

maniacoli wrote:Hi Guys, i got my pulse 2 some days ago, and i am new to analog synths. I hope someone here could help me please. I use the Waldorf Pulse 2 with a Midi-Keyboard through Line-In in my RME HDSPeAIO PCIe-Audiocard and Cubase 7.5.10 as my DAW. Is there a way to setup any effects as inserts, my plugins like a delay, arppegioator, compressor, etc... while i am playing ? My setup is an Audio Track for recording and Mono/Stereo Playback and the Midi-Track to send/recieve Midi/SysEx (SysEx+CC).
How can i get some effects/plugins in my playback signal-path while i am playing live ? or doesn't it work that way ? Please help me with this, any Tipps and Tricks would be great :)

Greets,
Oli
Hi Oli,

sorry i did not answer your PM yet.

AFAIK you are using Cubsae so i could not really help with that one. Anyway i had used the Pulse 2 in Ableton Live 9.
Concerning MIDI i usually add an "extetnal instrument" ro a MIDI track. It is also possible ro add an Arpeggiator plugins there (while teh Pulse 2 got it's own arpeggiator).
I could then route the audio from that MIDI track with the "externakl instrument" to a new audo track in which i could insert audio effects.

UPDATE:
Those are 2 screenshots which show a setup of Pulse 2 and the TAL Chorus-LX FX in Ableton Live 9:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... s-LX_1.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... s-LX_2.png

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

When using the external instrument plugin in Live there is no need to use two channels.

Just put everything on one channel, no routing required.

barryfell wrote:When using the external instrument plugin in Live there is no need to use two channels.

Just put everything on one channel, no routing required.
I prefer this Setup to record MIDI and the corresponding Audio track in seperate tracks.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Having owned a Classic Waldorf Pulse+ for quite a while, and *never* intend to get rid of it as a utilitarian bass monster; today I finally ordered the new Pulse 2, due to arrive Feb. 13. Plan to eventually connect the CV outs to my Pulse Plus and provide perhaps audio/video of process as have yet to see any use of CV outs of Pulse 2. FYI--the Pulse Plus model is worth getting because it has 2 or 3 CV ins and same number of CV outs, as well as midi of course, and filter input. I see the new Pulse 2 as the Pulse Plus' evil step-child. They should play well with each other like two mad scientist's children with a blow-torch!! :D
Pretty sure the Pulse 2 will look really sweet sitting at upper-right side of my Sahara Yellow Waldorf Q Keyboard because great industrial design deserves one another, with both being Axel Hartman designs. This will reserve my Black Blofeld Keyboard's large 'landing strip' for my still-sitting-in box Elektron Analog Four...just have not gotten past interface. However, the A4's CV Sequencer Track will actually drive *both* Pulse Plus and Pulse 2 as connected in aforementioned configuration, except cv to midi will have to be used as well in configuration; another feature of both Pulse 2 and Pulse Plus yet to be shown in video as I have searched high and low and if mistaken, please share. After a long honeymoon with this, will share audio/video. :D
If anyone ever wants to hear the Classic Pulse used ALL OVER an industrial album, take a re-listen to NIN's, 'Pretty Hate Machine'...still used by NIN, by the way.

For anyone looking, Waldorf just dropped the Pulse 2 to $749 and the Rocket to $299.

Uncle E wrote:For anyone looking, Waldorf just dropped the Pulse 2 to $749 and the Rocket to $299.
Which is way more expansive than 390e (no vat) price in Europe.
Murderous duck!

Yeah I got mine a few weeks after it was released for £375 inc. VAT.
Last edited by barryfell on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am just waiting for a really good price then she will be mine!
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

Those of us in the USA way too often benefit from not having the EU's Value Added Taxation, not mention all other fees and when in the rare time tables are turned, it becomes hard for people to understand this and realize w even benefit often from purchasing online from another State in USA to where we do not even pay State Sales Tax.
Just reflecting a bit of proverbial "devil's advocate" to place things into perspective. My Pulse 2 arrived yesterday evening and found mine for $650. very barely newly used with O.S. 1.13, with even a nicely printed-out/bound full User Manual, yet it happened to be in a neighboring village, so with 7.9% State Sales Tax, was $708. and free shipping. Priceless, for a mono/paraphonic synth with such advanced features and 8 slot mod matrix!! Great build quality and interface. Oh, and the sounds!! :hyper:
Well done, Waldorf!! :clap:

$650 is about £400 and that is the price in the UK.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

namnibor wrote:w even benefit often from purchasing online from another State in USA to where we do not even pay State Sales Tax.
Congress is very close to ending this.
My Pulse 2 arrived yesterday evening and found mine for $650.
A new one from us is $636 with free shipping and no sales tax outside of California (for the time being).

The Pulse 2 was worth every single penny at £370, cannot fault it for sound or build. Best bass sounds I have heard in any synth I've owned.

Cool, that seems to be the consensus. Where did you buy it from for £370?

The Pulse 2 is simply a *monster ballsy synth* and from using it over last day, I feel the LCD screen gives more than ample feedback. Would I love to have same visual queues Blofeld provides with the envelopes and such? Sure! But being accustomed to the original Pulse+ extremely limited few digit screen, this is pure luxury!! :love:
If this says anything at all, even with the need to naturally adjust one's playing technic for very well thought out paraphonic modes, the Pulse 2 may very well have just made my DSI Tetra obsolete.
You can conjure extremely fast envelopes to very nice evolving, long-tailed release times for ethereal pads and cerebral drones. I have yet to even patch any hardware effects, as it stands on it's own sound quite nicely. Still keeping the original Pulse+ and have yet to configure any CV out yet.
Pulse 2 pairs up quite nice sound-wise with my Waldorf Q. Soon, will no longer be able to blame the weather for staying inside as I cannot stop playing and programming this beast!! :help:
Well done, Waldorf!! :clap:
***NICE sound design on the presets as well**
Buy it... :borg: ...resistance IS futile! :ud:

Hey guys, So I bought the Pulse 2 as my first hardware synth, and loving playing around with it. Great sounds so far. I'm using it as an external instrument in Ableton.

Now, I suspect using a hardware synth will introduce a couple different workflows, rather than previously when I had everything 'in the box'....

I've read through almost this entire thread, but still have a couple questions, which I'm hoping you guys can help me with:

1. I'm assuming as it's a monosynth, I can only have it function in 'Single Mode', correct? ie, once I want to use the Pulse 2 to create another sound in a track, I need to bounce the original to audio?

2. And this is the biggy...
Can I get Ableton to map the tweaks that I do on the synth's knobs? I'm assuming this would be done through CC, but my understanding of midi is pretty limited. Essentially, I'd like to hit record in ableton, with the midi notes already written, then tweak various parameters on the Pulse 2, and have Ableton record those in some way, so I can then tweak if required, before bouncing to audio. This can be done through automation lanes with VSTis, and I've seen it might be doable through midi envelopes with the Pulse 2, but I've not managed it so far.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Dave

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”