im so sick and tired of daw crashes. ie the most stable daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote: The older versions of reaper are there to use, I don't usually upgrade
right away, unless the changelog offers something of importance.
The world is anxious full of spear-catchers, first to find the oddities.
Nor do I, some of the additions since V2 have been useful to the extent they outweigh the increased instability

Love the spear-catcher reference - is that a quote from an old music BBS ?

Not sure of an actual origen, in school, we used it to label
those whose actions predated their thoughts,
or those who were coerced or ordered into doing things
known to be dangerous or deadly.
Fortunately, DAWs effect sanity, more than lifespan :wink:

AstralExistence wrote:what i want is a multi-track sequencer, and i want it not to crash! im so sick of crashes i cant even begin to tell you.
This is fully understandable. You have a simple requirement, and there's a DAW that will fullfil this requirement: Studio One

It hasn't even crashed once on my Win7/x64 system. If anything causes S1 to stop working, it's my interface driver, or a wrong setting within Windows. But then you can still close S1 normally.

So, after having used Cubase and Samplitude ProX, my recommendation is absolutely clear: Switch to Studio One.

I cant remember my last crash with Samplitude, like has been said nothing is perfect and there are so many considerations with all the variations. However I can say that it seems to me that most crashes are hardware related and of course there are sometimes issues with 3rd party pluggins but tbh I now only run a handful of 3rd party pluggins because Samplitude Pro-X Suite has imo some of the best pluggins there are.

FWIW the last time I had a BSOD was in 2007, P-Cal (PC audiolabs who built my last two machines) sent me a new video card at that was that...never do I see BSOD. Samp did on occasion just go *poof* on previous versions but that hasn't happened since I went to an i7 (64 bit) and upgraded to Samp Pro X Suite.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Skorpius wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:what i want is a multi-track sequencer, and i want it not to crash! im so sick of crashes i cant even begin to tell you.
This is fully understandable. You have a simple requirement, and there's a DAW that will fullfil this requirement: Studio One

It hasn't even crashed once on my Win7/x64 system. If anything causes S1 to stop working, it's my interface driver, or a wrong setting within Windows. But then you can still close S1 normally.

So, after having used Cubase and Samplitude ProX, my recommendation is absolutely clear: Switch to Studio One.

yep. i went full v2 professional. i have it now. well sorta, i have a 30 day trial while i wait for presonus to process the license. imo studio one has the best included plugins of any daw ive tried. i think a lot of people would agree though rather then this just being my opinion.

Hink wrote:I cant remember my last crash with Samplitude, like has been said nothing is perfect and there are so many considerations with all the variations. However I can say that it seems to me that most crashes are hardware related and of course there are sometimes issues with 3rd party pluggins but tbh I now only run a handful of 3rd party pluggins because Samplitude Pro-X Suite has imo some of the best pluggins there are.
Sorry if my post was a little misleading. I didn't mean to say that Samplitude ProX crashes regularly, but Cubase (I had 5 and 6.5) most certainly did. However, Samplitude is more sensitive to plug-in or system issues than Studio One. Which is why it stops working (it doesn't actually cause a crash) more often than Studio One.

Apart from that, Samplitude is an excellent DAW with unrivaled audio editing features and an impressive set of Midi functions (way beyond those of Cubase).

So, my current DAW system contains both Studio One and Samplitude ProX. They both complement each other perfectly.

There's one thing, however, where Studio One is king - due to its ease-of-use and the childishly simple workflow: It has brought back the want to be creative and the fun in simply making music. Which is what it's all about. :phones:

Skorpius wrote: ...
There's one thing, however, where Studio One is king - due to its ease-of-use and the childishly simple workflow: It has brought back the want to be creative and the fun in simply making music. Which is what it's all about. :phones:
Not meaning to highjack, but does studio one have bezier automation now or is it still some preset curves and hand drawing?

Cubase 7.05 crashes like every other week for me. Usually for no apparent reason, last Friday's was because of some konflikt with Kontakt. I can't read the crash dump logs, so I'm not sure.

15 logged crashes since I installed it last July - that's not too bad.

woggle wrote:Not meaning to highjack, but does studio one have bezier automation now or is it still some preset curves and hand drawing?
No bezier curves, no.

LawrenceF wrote:
woggle wrote:Not meaning to highjack, but does studio one have bezier automation now or is it still some preset curves and hand drawing?
No bezier curves, no.
thanks LawrenceF

Hi,
I saw your post and figured this may be a good place to start. I've been frustrated too with the crashes lately. I'm running Win XP and ProTools 7.3LE on an ASUS motherboard, AMD cpu, and 4 gb RAM. I'm trying to run a couple of plugins (Addictive Drums & Keys) and Reason 4) and can't even get through laying down the tracks for one song before I start getting crashes and it stops recording. I get the dreaded 9093 DAE errors so I turn everything off and shut down for the night. I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. Thank you.

Wes

whunt_29708 wrote:Hi,
I saw your post and figured this may be a good place to start. I've been frustrated too with the crashes lately. I'm running Win XP and ProTools 7.3LE on an ASUS motherboard, AMD cpu, and 4 gb RAM. I'm trying to run a couple of plugins (Addictive Drums & Keys) and Reason 4) and can't even get through laying down the tracks for one song before I start getting crashes and it stops recording. I get the dreaded 9093 DAE errors so I turn everything off and shut down for the night. I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. Thank you.

Wes
run slimdrivers to see if you need driver updates https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php

(can't remember if the install wants to put a toolbar in - so check as you install if you decide to - I had no problems at all, so it probably doesn't, but check just in case. It is a very well respected utility)

AstralExistence wrote:
spaceman wrote:
AstralExistence wrote: From page 1:
AstralExistence wrote:well, cubase doesn't 'crash' on me and neither does reaper, neither does fl studio, or mulab. cubase suffers from the asio overload bug, reaper is big interface mess, fl studio is loop based, and mulab has no tool icons. sonar x3 crashes though and live 9 once or twice. i kinda lumped my dislike for certain daws with crashing but thats not the case. the only real crash culprit is x3 basic which i paid 50 usd for.
Do we have to conclude from this that X3 was the only one you actually paid for?
do not ever insinuate that i use cracked software. i do not. your're actually dumber then i thought if you think that as cubase7 isn't even cracked.
I'm sorry, I don't share your knowledge on cracked software.
I didn't know.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I saw your post and figured this may be a good place to start. I've been frustrated too with the crashes lately. I'm running Win XP and ProTools 7.3LE on an ASUS motherboard, AMD cpu, and 4 gb RAM. I'm trying to run a couple of plugins (Addictive Drums & Keys) and Reason 4) and can't even get through laying down the tracks for one song before I start getting crashes and it stops recording.
I had more or less the same problem with Cubase 6.5 on Win XP and finally found out the cause of the trouble: it's the amount of RAM that is not sufficient for running Addictive Drums within a RAM-hungry DAW, especially not in combination with Addictive Keys.

While everything still worked wonderfully with Cubase 5 Essential, things stopped to work flawlessly when I installed Cubase Artist 6.5. The reason was simple mathematics: Cubase Artist 6.5 in combination with Addictive Drums required more RAM than XP could deliver.

I'm pretty sure that your crashes will cease once you move to Windows 7/x64 and install at least 8 (better: 16) GB of RAM. This was the case with me, anyway.

However, I don't know whether your old PT version will run on Windows 7.

The step from XP to 7 was not an easy one for me, so I do understand if you should hesitate. But you won't regret it once you've installed W 7 and made the necessary settings to optimize it for audio/recording purposes.

So, you might want to consider spending some money on updates/upgrades for the sake of creativity and peace of mind. 8)

Skorpius wrote:
I saw your post and figured this may be a good place to start. I've been frustrated too with the crashes lately. I'm running Win XP and ProTools 7.3LE on an ASUS motherboard, AMD cpu, and 4 gb RAM. I'm trying to run a couple of plugins (Addictive Drums & Keys) and Reason 4) and can't even get through laying down the tracks for one song before I start getting crashes and it stops recording.
I had more or less the same problem with Cubase 6.5 on Win XP and finally found out the cause of the trouble: it's the amount of RAM that is not sufficient for running Addictive Drums within a RAM-hungry DAW, especially not in combination with Addictive Keys.

While everything still worked wonderfully with Cubase 5 Essential, things stopped to work flawlessly when I installed Cubase Artist 6.5. The reason was simple mathematics: Cubase Artist 6.5 in combination with Addictive Drums required more RAM than XP could deliver.

I'm pretty sure that your crashes will cease once you move to Windows 7/x64 and install at least 8 (better: 16) GB of RAM. This was the case with me, anyway.

However, I don't know whether your old PT version will run on Windows 7.

The step from XP to 7 was not an easy one for me, so I do understand if you should hesitate. But you won't regret it once you've installed W 7 and made the necessary settings to optimize it for audio/recording purposes.

So, you might want to consider spending some money on updates/upgrades for the sake of creativity and peace of mind. 8)
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if upgrading to win 7 w/ more RAM would be the solution. That's probably the route I will go in which I'll update to PT11 and upgrade my computer. In the mean time I'll be saving up in order to do so.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”