[Metal Gear Solid] What is this sounds library ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jedinhopy wrote:What sample libraries was used in MediEvil 1 & 2?
Roland.

I have that harp and those strings in my XP-30.

Miroslav is what you use to get this sound these days.

Last edited by Nisto on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

cool thread :)

I didnt realise you could extract sounds from PSX discs (i thought they were generally all cd-audio), so im currently going through my collection and ripping them.
(i know its a legal grey area but its like extracting MODs on my amiga to have a listen to the instruments.)
:tu:

if anyone is doing the same i'd recommend a free utility called 'Doublekiller' to remove duplicate sounds of exactly the same filesize/CRC

Nisto wrote:Bump!

First of all, thanks for all the info, HaganeSteel. You're.. very resourceful! I've found out about some of the gear these people used through various archived sites (profiles, interviews, etc.) but some were still unknown to me. Masami Ueda used a JV-2080 for sure - he had it specified in his profile on weapon.org back in 1998: http://web.archive.org/web/199802040631 ... index.html
In 2000 or late 1999 maybe, he changed the tone box to a Yamaha EX5R though, so maybe he (mostly) used that for RE3. I wouldn't really know if he kept using the JV-2080.

Secondly, I wanted to mention that I "run" a thread for documenting VGM samples over at VGMdb. It has grown quite a bit at this point, and it seems like more people are joining in on the hunt lately. Hopefully, if you guys know anything I/We don't, you can post what you've found? Or maybe just post corrections ('cause I know a lot may be wrong :D) Here's the link: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11231
There's another post in that thread which is kinda.. hardware-exclusive. I haven't included those in the index (first post) yet, but I intend to do so soon, in a revamp of it. Here's the link to that guy's post (I wonder if he's hiding in this thread, lol): http://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=50

And thirdly, I just want to take the opportunity to ask if anyone here knows the source of any of the samples from the demos on this page: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/484 ... tml#list_1

It seems like the interest in VGM samples is greatly increasing these past couple of years. :D

Cheers.
Yo.

Thanks for the compliment. It's about time someone acknowledged me for my useless information. :hihi:

Okay, here's the thing. Your list has a lot of "drone" and "ambient" sounds listed. For the most part, it is almost impossible to tell where these originally came from just by ear. In a lot of cases, ambience and sound effects and stuff like that can come from anywhere, and you will never get the same exact sound. The exceptions to this are the Roland anvil hits, Korg's "lore" and the rest of their ilk.

You can tell who uses what synth by what presets or waveforms they use (for example, the Proteus 1 had a very distinct string sound), and if they're not using those characteristic waveforms - or worse, they're also using external effects hardware - then it becomes much more of a guessing game.

I'll go through your list, but your samples don't actually work for me, so I'll do what I can.

Resident Evil 0 Melting: Fairly sure that's a Roland piano, so I would assume the drone is Roland as well. It's a very nondescript sound in general, though. The piano sound was a common stock piano sound in the XP/XV/JVs. Here, it's drowned in reverb and the cutoff is turned down, but it's still the same crappy older Roland piano. Also, listen to the track "Centipede" and you will hear those marcato string sounds, as well as the horns, that are very characteristic Roland sounds. I can't find "Flash", but most, if not all, of this soundtrack is Roland. In the song "Encounter" when the drone begins to swell, that is a Roland bass string section.

It was Setsuo Yamamoto who used the Korg Wavestation a lot. He worked on Megaman X, X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, and Strider 2. He did not work on any Resident Evil titles at the time according to his discography.

Silent Hill (both of them) were never really known for using a specific synth. I'm not sure what squeaky noise you're referring to here, but Akira Yamaoka, if I remember correctly, recorded a lot of sound effects himself, and so you may be hearing that. Later on, in an interview, he stated that he used software like ImpOscar and that one popular Mellotron emulation I forget the name of.

Silent Hill 2's drumloop was likely sequenced by Akira Yamaoka himself using miscellaneous drum samples, and/or it was recorded by him. In either case, it was almost certainly just made to sound old by using any number of techniques.

Resident Evil 2's bell is a Roland church bell. I'm not exactly sure which chime you're referring to here (if only those samples worked!), but it's safe to assume this is all Roland.

The Marshalling Yard's industrial hit is a drum sample pitched down and occasionally layered with a piano. Almost certain it's Roland.

FFX uses the Roland SC88 Pro/SC8850 a lot (they're virtually identical), and this song uses a lot of taiko drums. If you're referring to the drum sound at about 2:00, those are taiko drums sequenced in quick succession to sound unnatural. Crisis and Growlanser III's "Doubt" are probably using the same set of loops/samples. I can't identify them.

I don't know where any of those guitar riffs come from. Maybe they used some kind of sample CDs, but that Conker riff is also the same one used in Tekken 3 - interesting.

Last edited by Nisto on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The samples don't load or play for me. I can see them fine.

You're more than likely right about Silent Hill 1. I was only guessing there. I know later on he did record many sound effects himself, but I'm not sure if or how he used them in his music.

He also wouldn't have used a VST back in '98. The interview was after Silent Hill 3, I believe, I was just making the point that he moved on to software.

Pretty sure he mentioned the M-Tron, though, but I could be remembering wrong.

The others, for the most part, used a lot of Roland. Roland and Emu were the dominant forces in the industry later on. Observe, Michiko Naruke's gear:

That is a Roland SC8850 at the top, 2 Emu Proteus 2000 modules, a Roland XV5080, and there's another module there that I forget the name of, but I know I've seen before.

Korg was dominant during the era of the M1, and the M1 was used some in Final Fantasy on the SNES, as well as Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, I believe. Contra III: Alien Wars also used the M1 (Asuyuka corrected me on this: I thought it was a Proteus at first).

Korg was less represented later on, but the Trinity was used by Yoshino Aoki in Breath of Fire IV, I believe, and was most definitely used by Yoko Shimomura for Parasite Eve.

I'm saying all this to make it easier for you guys to figure out what's what.

All of the guesses I make are just that: Guesses based on my knowledge and experience with the gear. I don't have any inside information.

I'm also generally not too concerned with what exactly was used so much as what it took to get that sound. I know all of these things to help my music, since these sound modules basically had their own musical styles that I grew up on.

Last edited by Nisto on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm in Firefox 27 on Windows 7 64bit.

Yeah, it's been ages since I saw that interview. I can't really help you on Silent Hill. When it comes to sound modules, though, I'm your man.

I'm not really doing this for historical reasons, I'm doing this to understand my music.

Different synths are used in different ways, and I was never able to quite achieve what I wanted to do with my XP-30 or any of my other gear.

Not all sounds are created equal - Roland synths are useless to me without the Bright Strings patch from the SC88s, and I wasn't the only one who thought this - you can hear it being used as the primary string sound of most game composers who used Sound Canvases because it lends itself so well to fast runs and staccato.

But Roland synths never really change. For example: The SC8850 "Strings" patch is the Edirol Orchestral's "Full Strings" patch - they're the same sound, stereo and all - and it is superior to the strings you would find in a JV/XP because its loop point is better.

I know stuff like that. Sample CDs are outside my realm of expertise. :hihi:

Last edited by Nisto on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Besaid Island used Roland.

The Roland SC88s shared a lot of the same samples as found in the JVs, XPs and the SR-JV expansion boards.

The SC88, SC8820, SC8850, JV2080, XP-30, XP-60, XP-80 and just about all their other synths at the time were just minor variations of each other. They all drew from the same library of sounds, with different hardware, different features, etc.

The Sound Canvases (SC88s) were special because they gave you a wide variety of the Roland JV sounds - some of which came directly from the SR-JV expansions - for a relatively cheap price. This meant they were ideal for game musicians.

So the exact Roland model isn't important, and the sound you're looking for is probably on the SR-JV expansion boards, but it's also on the Sound Canvases, the SRX boards, etc.

The sound you're referring to is probably a Roland Gamelan, Jegogan, Jublag + cutoff turned out, etc., and it is on the SC88. It's under the ethnic percussion section.

Judging by the strings and the orchestral snare, etc. it's 100% a Roland SC88 Pro. Masashi Hamauzu is making good use of those Roland Bright Strings, which were later replaced on the XPs and JV2080+, etc. by what Roland considers superior string samples, but they are wrong.

Was this ever used for producing game soundtracks?

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/s_yxg50_by_yamaha
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Was this ever used for producing game soundtracks?

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/s_yxg50_by_yamaha
Not that specifically, but those older Yamahas were used in Saga Frontier, and you can find those sounds on current PSRs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGAEujN_rg

Kenji Ito composed the Saga Frontier soundtrack on a Yamaha TG-500.

It has a really harsh sound, though, if the original PSF file is anything to go by.

Edit: I'm wrong on the XG compatibility. Whoa. I've sat here this whole time thinking the TG-500 was an XG synth. :nutter:

A friend of mine has told me that the sounds are pretty much the same, though. The TGs, the XGs and the PSRs, that is.

HaganeSteel, I bow to your knowledge.
I don't know where you find all those info on specific gear used by composers, but that's really impressive. Every now and then I come back to this thread and learn something new. Thanks to you I decided to get a JV-2080 :party:

I was wondering if you could tell me something about Junya Nakano's peculiar sound. He was my favorite composer on the FFX Soundtrack (Underwater Ruins, Illusion, This is your story, Guadosalam and many others) and it always strikes me how beautiful, rich and complex his textures are. Take this for example:

4.17 - Summoned Beast Battle

How did he manage to get those brass and strings sound? They're incredible, the brass almost sound detuned, but not really. I don't know, there are so many overtones and layers ... it really is a majestic and unique sound.
But for the love of me I cannot find any info about his gear of that time!

Please Hagane, tell me you have some answers :lol:

I keep hoping ...

The roland integra 7 Has all these sounds + you get some great new, very realistic stuff.

Return to “Instruments”