What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM tracks?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian

1285 posts since 27 Nov, 2008, from uk

Postby faun2500; Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:35 am Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

Sorry I didn't listen to your track so take my comments as general and not specific about your mix you posted. :)

As for Ozone: I never use presets for Ozone! ;) I am talking about 3rd setting on the limiter - IRC 3.
This is THE ONE. :hihi:
KVRAF

6127 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 am Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

jeffb01 wrote:
Sendy wrote:Dynamic range looks roughly the same, only yours has less gain. Try a limiter to chop off some of the errant peaks, if that doesn't work, go back to your mix and make it cleaner but cutting more frequencies.

I thought this was a pretty good answer. try this...

heck. what happens if you normalize the track?

OP, why you no read?
1. Clip
2. Normalise
3. ?
4. Beer
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
KVRian

562 posts since 30 Dec, 2004

Postby masterhiggins; Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:25 am Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

CableChannel wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY4UFEZFRpg

That's better than most of the tutorials I've seen. But usually it's being presented by a vanilla ice wannabe.

-Sam
KVRist

107 posts since 20 Feb, 2005

Postby zlatan; Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:43 am Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

faun2500 wrote:In my experience it is the mix that is loud and not the master.
Mix your track loud from the start and it will be easier to achieve a competitive master.

Pay attention to your mids and make sure your kick is peaking the mix. :)

The opposite is true !
Your mix should be peaking around -6 DB and make sure you're kick is NOT too loud so that the rest of the track can't breathe !

The answer to OP's question is to spend about $100 and use the same mastering house that your favorite label / producer is using.
It's that simple.
KVRian

979 posts since 3 Jul, 2009

Postby sonicpowa; Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:55 am Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

@Robin, if you pay me one million dollars* I can make your song competitive loud.

*The price is negotiable.
KVRian

Postby faun2500; Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:04 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

zlatan wrote:
faun2500 wrote:In my experience it is the mix that is loud and not the master.
Mix your track loud from the start and it will be easier to achieve a competitive master.

Pay attention to your mids and make sure your kick is peaking the mix. :)

The opposite is true !
Your mix should be peaking around -6 DB and make sure you're kick is NOT too loud so that the rest of the track can't breathe !

The answer to OP's question is to spend about $100 and use the same mastering house that your favorite label / producer is using.
It's that simple.

Not at all.
KVRian

979 posts since 3 Jul, 2009

Postby sonicpowa; Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

Yes faun2500 got it right, the mix should already be loud from the start if you want ultimate loudness. -6dB? In what scale? That doesn´t mean anything actually..
KVRist

Postby zlatan; Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:11 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

sonicpowa wrote:Yes faun2500 got it right, the mix should already be loud from the start if you want ultimate loudness. -6dB? In what scale? That doesn´t mean anything actually..

You only have to click the links in his sig to realize that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Do yourself and everybody else a favor and educate yourself a bit before spreading these nonsense.

Here are some helpful tips from a credible and decent mastering house :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN9_FnK ... ded#at=115

Here is the mastering house you want to go to if you want to have the exact same master as your (EDM) favorites :

http://www.wiredmasters.co.uk/home.html

They will tell you the exact same thing though.... that your mix should be peaking around -6db !

Good luck !
KVRian

Postby faun2500; Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:14 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

What a troll! :lol:

Please everyone click the links in my sigs. I don't know what I am talking about.

And if you missed the links check my crap not loud music here: https://soundcloud.com/donteatmyname/orb

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
KVRian

Postby faun2500; Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:23 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

Just updated my sig so you can all check out how much I don't know.

Thanks!
KVRist

Postby zlatan; Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:25 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

faun2500 wrote:What a troll! :lol:

Please everyone click the links in my sigs. I don't know what I am talking about.

And if you missed the links check my crap not loud music here: https://soundcloud.com/donteatmyname/orb

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was that an attempt to shamelessly boost your 153 plays in 10 days ??
:hihi:
KVRian

Postby faun2500; Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:28 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

Btw Robin. I listened to your track "Immense" and it sounds really good. Can't really hear what you're having problems with the loudness, sounds pretty loud to me! ;)
KVRist

Postby zlatan; Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:43 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

faun2500 wrote:Btw Robin. I listened to your track "Immense" and it sounds really good. Can't really hear what you're having problems with the loudness, sounds pretty loud to me! ;)

Yes , Robin should advice you instead !
His music and sound is of a much higher level than yours ....even the soundcloud audience agrees !

:lol:
KVRAF

8850 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:46 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

Not so loud, guys! :x

:lol:
KVRAF

7887 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm Re: How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM trac

I don't use a preset. And actually use the stripped down version that comes with Soundforge. But it's great. I tried the big Ozone, but it's real easy to get lost and really easier to mess up a good mix with all those choices....
The stripped own one has: Maximizer/Reverb/EQ/Widener/ and Exciter. What else do you need?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Production Techniques