For those that listen to 80's LA Metal

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr/la2

I put it back. I think Lazer has a damn good ear.
(see below)
Last edited by crimsontider on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Not generally into this genre, but seeing the 80s as a teen ;) thought I'd drop an ear.

Interesting track, didnt get all the way through. Starts off well and then starts to drag somewhat, I think it's the bass and drums not quite riding on each other...just my uneducated ear ;)

Bass is too strong and sounds out of place/time, needs toning down and tightening up.

Nice guitar, drums are captured rather well. Any lyrics, didnt get that far in if so.

It needs to be remixed in a bad way. I have a bad habit of not vetting things before posting. I added a track to the guitar that is delayed a fraction and it sounds bad. The bass past sounds out of wack until midway. The drums are in the red after looking back. I am going to fix this today, and it should sound a lot better.

Mix is indeed clipping and over the place in some departments. Could very much benefit from some limiting and compression. Perhaps some more very slight reverb here and there to gain more space/air. Nice guitar sound and playing though, reminds me a little bit of Whitesnake, really 80's indeed :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

crimsontider wrote:It needs to be remixed in a bad way. I have a bad habit of not vetting things before posting. I added a track to the guitar that is delayed a fraction and it sounds bad. The bass past sounds out of wack until midway. The drums are in the red after looking back. I am going to fix this today, and it should sound a lot better.
The posting is an educative moment. You start getting feedback and if you reflect on your own thoughts when recording, mixing and posting you will notice what I call blind ear. You start missing some parts of the mix as you become content with some parts and your ears start to focus on some detail and not the whole mix. We all do it.

Best advice with any mix. When you think you're done you probably aren't until you switch off, sleep on it for a couple of nights and go back and listen to it on another set of speakers and then back to your own hub.

But I am no pro ... enjoy what you do, look with your ears and listen with your mind, you will prosper :)

MFXxx wrote:
crimsontider wrote:It needs to be remixed in a bad way. I have a bad habit of not vetting things before posting. I added a track to the guitar that is delayed a fraction and it sounds bad. The bass past sounds out of wack until midway. The drums are in the red after looking back. I am going to fix this today, and it should sound a lot better.
.....Best advice with any mix. When you think you're done you probably aren't until you switch off, sleep on it for a couple of nights and go back and listen to it on another set of speakers and then back to your own hub........
You nailed it. You always need to sleep on it and listen again. Which in my case was this morning in my car and I said WTF, I put this online?

Yes, you get focused on something that you like, one area, and become blinded to the overall piece. Sometimes I will find something that sounds better a year later, stood the test of time. The longer the better imo.

Anyway, I switched to another tune until I get the other fixed

https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr/la2

curiosity killed the cat. i just had to hear this using my mastering technique....as expected, it friggin rocks :hihi: :hihi:

192kbps mp3:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/omqzw0
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Again, Lazer has made one of my songs sound a lot better. I won't ask, and I know you were using just a flawed mp3, but the clarity is outstanding. You have a system down pat that really brings the music up front, clearly and spaciously. With what you had to work with, great job.

You should be working for the record company that have bad masters. I remember Rush had a overly compressed finished product that they released in Vapor Trails, and someone a few years later somehow reworked it, and he had each individual part, although damaged goods. The positive reaction from fans was huge.

Nice job with that mp3-tweaking layzer. You have definitely brought the guitars forward in the mix. They sound much livelier now.

This almost had an '80s Smoke on the Water vibe.

Good work :)

Wanted to see if anyone asked, but this is actually me and Tommy Lee, via a segment I found of him playing in the studio. I just wrote something around it, and is why the drums seem a little strong.

I will say that I am very happy with the way the bass came out (massive). I think I captured his groove pretty well. He has always been a favorite to a point that I can instinctively play bass with him. Be nice to do it in person :) The guitar part needs to be redone. But the bass, with kudos to Lazer plays right along with the rawness of a Tommy Lee beat imo, but it is him creating that awesome tribal metal beat.

Return to “Music Cafe”