drum machine/music box automaton for Kontakt 4

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zombie Queen wrote:Thanks! I don't know, if anyone has got deep enough into it, to consider this, but I'm pondering on a way to make the random procedure repeatable. Now, the machine picks some random numbers as it plays, so it's quite impossible to re-play an evolving/randomized sequence, unless you record the out-coming audio. I have this idea to generate a group of random numbers beforehand and then use them while playing, this way the random sequence will be perfectly re-playable. I'm trying to implement such feature now. Any thoughts on the idea?
a "switch" (option) for random repeatable would be awesome!

It's a beauty! I'll try it! Thanks! :)

blortblort wrote:a "switch" (option) for random repeatable
Exactly. It seems, I managed to make it work. I made alternative "fixed random" mode, in this mode the machine uses pre-generated array of random numbers instead of generating them as 'live'. It is used for all of the 'random' events, so if you automate them in host and make some 'fixed' start point it should playback the same cycle each time. This will be more fun if/when I manage to make some memory function to recall all settings.
It's not tested thoroughly yet, but if you'd like to try it out, it's here, sort of a beta version. No samples included, you need to replace files from the release. New controls are on the back panel, cycle knob limits the replayed array size to number of bars, it's easiest to notice with random pitch on sequencer, when you set e.g. 2 bar cycle, it will start to repeat the melody, considering the current sample is 'tonal' enough.

You could use a deterministic pseudo-random number generator (like a Mersenne Twister algorithm), so instead of storing a set of random numbers, you only have to store the seed.

I'm not that sophisticated... I never got into complicated math... But thanks for pointing me into this, it looks, like I would have to store the set with Twister algorithm too, as the next element is calculated from previous, if I understood it correctly. Maybe I could use it for generating the set, Kontakt's random function is rather inefficient when you need to generate a long string of numbers at once, initially I have been getting quite very limited set of results, it has been one of 4 or 5 exact strings, where numbers were from 1 to 1000000... (!) I manged to fuzz it a little with some simple twists, but it's probably still very weak. But I might be too much of a newbie to do this, first I'd have to figure out how to implement XOR operation in KSP...

Interesting sounds, might definitely be useful for some background "noise".
Thanks for the freebie.

And...

FISH! :hihi:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:FISH! :hihi:
Yes! yes! yeS!

Foosnark, thanks for pointing me to Twister. It seems a little too complicated to port to KSP for me, but it made me reading about different generators. I stumbled upon Park-Miller minimal standard one, which is very easy to do in KSP and it works really well for the purpose of generating array of random numbers.

I'm surprised people haven't shown more interest in this?
First let me say it looks great, does what it says on the tin and is capable of providing hours of rhythmic mayhem.
I wasn't able to impose my will on the machine so I just let it do it's thing. It spit out a couple of hours of beats from who knows where, some were quite interesting.
I think if you can figure out how to put in a little more user control over the random and you've got a winner.

Thanks for sharing :tu:

Zombie Queen wrote:Foosnark, thanks for pointing me to Twister. It seems a little too complicated to port to KSP for me, but it made me reading about different generators. I stumbled upon Park-Miller minimal standard one, which is very easy to do in KSP and it works really well for the purpose of generating array of random numbers.
Cool, glad it was helpful.

MRT wrote:I think if you can figure out how to put in a little more user control over the random
Thanks. I find it fascinating that it, sort of, works on its own. Not sure, if this counts as user control, but I managed to make a snapshot of random, so you can replay the same sequence of events. That's in test version here: http://www.fairlyconfusing.net/psycho-wip.html

amazing! lovely pieces. I will have some time to play around with this soon and am really looking forward to it.

if any of those mem and patt functions can be automated that will make for a very powerful machine

Sure, everything can be automated. And loading presets can be triggered by midi note.

fantastic - one last thing :) can you please give some explanation on creating one of the demo pieces? Maybe automaton fragment 24.

A big ask on your time I know

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”