im so sick and tired of daw crashes. ie the most stable daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and this

metamorphosis wrote: Most likely you've got hardware issues of some description
getting a professional to replace your ram
upgrading your power supply to a decent brand and at least 500w

and don't use cracks [and of course in mentioning this I want to emphasize this does not refer to or imply anything about the OP or anyone else here].

Personally looking forward to Bitwig in part due to the plug-in sandboxing to avoid crashes due to plug-ins.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Personally looking forward to Bitwig in part due to the plug-in sandboxing to avoid crashes due to plug-ins.

me too ;)

Thanks, Tricky-Loops, for the link to blue-screen-view. Apparently, my M-Audio Fasttrack is to blame for my laptop crashing earlier this week.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Suloo wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Personally looking forward to Bitwig in part due to the plug-in sandboxing to avoid crashes due to plug-ins.

me too ;)
IIRC Reaper can do this already (dedicated process thingy).

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

yea maybe, but i don`t like reaper at all

It's too cheap, isn't it Suloo? A professional tool should cost more than a few hundred bucks, eh? I've always suspected that. Damn, I should use something more expensive to give me that "pro" sound". How wrong I have been all these years since I ditched Cubase.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Why do you implicate weird reasons when the guy only said he doesn't like Reaper? I don't like Reaper too, but i don't dislike it because it's cheap, i do because it doesn't give me what i expect from a sequencer program.

I dislike reaper because it's so controversial.

hibidy wrote:I dislike reaper because it's so controversial.
Don'r worry... Bitwig will take over a week after it's release then.... a month later will be buggy as all get out. :D

:hihi:

o.m.f.g that's it! what i mean is, i thought the asio bug was a cubase bug, turns out it is not. was having similar spike issues in s1v2. somebody posted in this thread about how there working on the asio overload bug in cubase, so i hopped over there today, spent about 3 hours going through all the bug and complaint threads. its hilarious what i seen.

there was one thread were 3 people were having the same issues. turns out two of them had aero disabled i also had it disabled which makes three people. some steinberg expert said that aero needs to be enabled. that is, if you disable aero, your pc processor uses unneeded cpu to run graphics. which is what your videocard is for so you do have that extra cpu. not only that, he said that if you disable aero not only does what i described above occur but your very likely to suffer audio drop outs and spikes because of it.

then, he also said, people are still setting there pc to background services which is 'an xp tweak that causes issues in w7' 'another reason why they suffer dropouts. "asio is NOT a background service." guess who else had there pc set to background services, yep all three of us. then, somebody else said, its best to let windows decide your advanced display looks.

i adjusted all those, when i did the problems improved but were still there appearing at unpredictable times. then somebody said they went back to the oldest driver they could for there video card so i did the same, first time i went back to second to last driver, more stability, but still some spikes, went back to oldest driver available in amd previous drivers. BAM! like that no more spikes, no dropouts, no asio overloads. nothing. both studio one v2 and cubase work great now. lol im trying, i really am to get those spikes, i cant, 4 hours ago halion sonic would spike when loading sustained sounds patches. not anymore.

lastly, a steinberg rep said that all these spikes are due to how today videocards handle whats essentially a dated driver format. basically, modern videocards, or old videocards with modern drivers have a lot of issues due to all the new technology designed to make games run more efficient.

these new drivers are great for games, but bad news for musicians. so if your having problems in studioone v2, cubase, or any other daw. now you know why, and if possible can try to fix it.

oh and one more thing, as somebody pointed out in one of the threads. installing older drivers actually makes the daw use less cpu with plugins. hard to believe i know. i noticed it though myself.

LawrenceF wrote:In the entire world? :hihi: You've tested the latest version of every daw in the world?

That must be a really expensive undertaking.

How does Scope measure up in your tests? http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... 42&lang=us

The only thing I haven't (obviously) tested is bitwig.

The OP asked about stability. I have torture tested so many DAW's and Reason is the only only one that never, and i use that word literally, crashed a single time on me. ONE time in the whole time I was using it, one rack extension flaked it, and Reason elegantly reloaded it within the same session. The dev released an update a few days later and that was it.

I am being quite serious here.. There is nothing as stable as Reason. Even Bitwig with it's vst guard will still be prey to however good it's overall vst compatibility is with all the stuff that is out there. Reason and RE are built to certain standards.

Lawrence, for someone that has had such a run in multiple times with the props, I hope you realise for me to be saying something so positive about it means that I am really meaning what I am saying.

It astonished even me. I had projects even when i was doing dsp testing, where i would add 200 rack extensions and the cpu had already been maxxed out at say 20 RE, and i kept on adding till reason said likeover a thousand cpu % usage LOL, and still no CRASHES. I have done projects with 200 tracks and undos and massive multiple delets or data moving, it never misses a beat. It's pretty much infallible.

Tested LatencyMon V2.03
After LM settled down (about 30 seconds) I get “Your system appears to be suitable for playing real time audio without dropouts.”

How important is this?

I do not get too many crashes. Most often Cubase will not close on its own.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”