What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

No_Use
KVRAF
 
1715 posts since 13 Mar, 2004

Postby No_Use; Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:49 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Well, I like the way it's handled at the moment, but I also see your points, woggle and Lawrence.
As it's OT anyway (concerning Reaper 5 gossip) I'll just stop here. :)
User avatar
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF
 
8269 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

It costs me 0.5 seconds to click on the arrangement window and make my marker or region there, that isn't a big problem.

Or are there people who are making 100 markers in one song? Then it would need 50 seconds to do that (supposed they all have their MIDI editor open)... :o
woggle
KVRist
 
421 posts since 23 Nov, 2012

Postby woggle; Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:02 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Tricky-Loops wrote:It costs me 0.5 seconds to click on the arrangement window and make my marker or region there, that isn't a big problem.

Or are there people who are making 100 markers in one song? Then it would need 50 seconds to do that (supposed they all have their MIDI editor open)... :o


:o
hibidy
KVRAF
 
40977 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:08 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

markers just get in the way anyways.
Ogopogo
KVRian
 
1330 posts since 1 Oct, 2013

Postby Ogopogo; Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:01 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Even clicking in midi notes and moving items around is enough of a barrier between thinking something and hearing it for me. Why tolerate half a second added anywhere you don't need to? An attitude like that gets you a really clunky daw.
woggle
KVRist
 
421 posts since 23 Nov, 2012

Postby woggle; Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:22 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Ogopogo wrote: An attitude like that ....
is a Reaper user feature :)

There's always been a resistance from some in the Reaper user base to incorporating well known design principles. I think there's a feeling that it somehow or other insults Justin, the developer, who has a bit of a cult status.
hibidy
KVRAF
 
40977 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:30 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Does reaper have audio quantize? I can't remember.
Kalamata Kid
KVRian
 
1279 posts since 26 Jul, 2001, from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Postby Kalamata Kid; Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:40 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

2014 will be the greatest PC DAW year ever:
Reaper 5
Bitwig 1
Studio One 3
Live 10
Cubase 8
Bidule 1
EnergyXT 3
Sonar X4
FL Studio 12
:hail: :wheee: :nutter: :singer: :hihi: :roll: :love: :-D
iPad Air as Midi Controller, iConnectMIDI2+, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Studio One 2.6, Reaper 4.5, Bidule, Komplete 8, Melodyne Studio, Windows 7, 64 bit. i7, 12 GB RAM
hibidy
KVRAF
 
40977 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Kalamata Kid wrote:Studio One 3
Live 10


I only care about these :D
siriusbliss
KVRAF
 
2368 posts since 5 Dec, 2005, from Bay Area, USA

Postby siriusbliss; Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 pm Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Kalamata Kid wrote:2014 will be the greatest PC DAW year ever:
Reaper 5
Bitwig 1
Studio One 3
Live 10
Cubase 8
Bidule 1
EnergyXT 3
Sonar X4
FL Studio 12
:hail: :wheee: :nutter: :singer: :hihi: :roll: :love: :-D


Samplitude ProX2 :wink:
Don't ask me, I just play here.
C-note
KVRian
 
1450 posts since 2 Apr, 2006, from Studio City, California

Postby C-note; Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:03 am Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

woggle wrote:
Ogopogo wrote: An attitude like that ....
is a Reaper user feature :)

There's always been a resistance from some in the Reaper user base to incorporating well known design principles. I think there's a feeling that it somehow or other insults Justin, the developer, who has a bit of a cult status.

While I agree with your statement, the real problem in design @Reaper is the dev's design philosophy, not his followers. As a Reaper owner and longtime follower it has been very frustrating to watch such a brilliant coder almost completely ignore most other DAW workflows (except maybe Vegas), in favor of the velcro approach to design - throw a bunch of features out there and see what sticks...ugh!

Shhhhh - I heard that Justin is going to implement chord tracks a la Cubase but go Steinberg one better by allowing unlimited chord tracks per project. Magnifique!
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
10003 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:15 am Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

woggle wrote:requiring people to learn multiple keystrokes for the same underlying functionality has increased the memory requirements unnecessarily-that is poor interface design


It's not required - it can be the same exact keyboard shortcut for the same thing between main and MIDI editor, if you want it to, if you use the pass-through action.


It indeed is more flexible this way.
woggle
KVRist
 
421 posts since 23 Nov, 2012

Postby woggle; Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:57 am Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

C-note wrote:
woggle wrote:
Ogopogo wrote: An attitude like that ....
is a Reaper user feature :)

There's always been a resistance from some in the Reaper user base to incorporating well known design principles. I think there's a feeling that it somehow or other insults Justin, the developer, who has a bit of a cult status.

While I agree with your statement, the real problem in design @Reaper is the dev's design philosophy, not his followers. As a Reaper owner and longtime follower it has been very frustrating to watch such a brilliant coder almost completely ignore most other DAW workflows (except maybe Vegas), in favor of the velcro approach to design - throw a bunch of features out there and see what sticks...ugh!

Shhhhh - I heard that Justin is going to implement chord tracks a la Cubase but go Steinberg one better by allowing unlimited chord tracks per project. Magnifique!

yep - it comes from the software development methodology being unsuited to complex large scale software
woggle
KVRist
 
421 posts since 23 Nov, 2012

Postby woggle; Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 am Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

EvilDragon wrote:
woggle wrote:requiring people to learn multiple keystrokes for the same underlying functionality has increased the memory requirements unnecessarily-that is poor interface design


It's not required - it can be the same exact keyboard shortcut for the same thing between main and MIDI editor, if you want it to, if you use the pass-through action.


It indeed is more flexible this way.

It's crummy design - anyone with experience in UX or Interaction Design should know that and hand waving about flexibility doesn't change that. Why not just code your own just how you want it - that's even more flexible. There really is no need for this strange defensiveness around the Reaper design - if anything it has held Reaper back .
Last edited by woggle on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amberience
KVRAF
 
6942 posts since 7 Mar, 2003, from Climbing the walls inside my mind

Postby Amberience; Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:16 am Re: Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Improving the way that instruments and FX panels are displayed would be a massive step towards usability. At present, it's just way too convoluted to use, which is why I jumped ship to Studio One and Logic.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)