Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I like the way it's handled at the moment, but I also see your points, woggle and Lawrence.
As it's OT anyway (concerning Reaper 5 gossip) I'll just stop here. :)

It costs me 0.5 seconds to click on the arrangement window and make my marker or region there, that isn't a big problem.

Or are there people who are making 100 markers in one song? Then it would need 50 seconds to do that (supposed they all have their MIDI editor open)... :o

Tricky-Loops wrote:It costs me 0.5 seconds to click on the arrangement window and make my marker or region there, that isn't a big problem.

Or are there people who are making 100 markers in one song? Then it would need 50 seconds to do that (supposed they all have their MIDI editor open)... :o
:o

markers just get in the way anyways.

Even clicking in midi notes and moving items around is enough of a barrier between thinking something and hearing it for me. Why tolerate half a second added anywhere you don't need to? An attitude like that gets you a really clunky daw.

Ogopogo wrote: An attitude like that ....
is a Reaper user feature :)

There's always been a resistance from some in the Reaper user base to incorporating well known design principles. I think there's a feeling that it somehow or other insults Justin, the developer, who has a bit of a cult status.

Does reaper have audio quantize? I can't remember.

2014 will be the greatest PC DAW year ever:
Reaper 5
Bitwig 1
Studio One 3
Live 10
Cubase 8
Bidule 1
EnergyXT 3
Sonar X4
FL Studio 12
:hail: :wheee: :nutter: :singer: :hihi: :roll: :love: :-D

Kalamata Kid wrote: Studio One 3
Live 10
I only care about these :D

Kalamata Kid wrote:2014 will be the greatest PC DAW year ever:
Reaper 5
Bitwig 1
Studio One 3
Live 10
Cubase 8
Bidule 1
EnergyXT 3
Sonar X4
FL Studio 12
:hail: :wheee: :nutter: :singer: :hihi: :roll: :love: :-D
Samplitude ProX2 :wink:
Don't ask me, I just play here.

woggle wrote:

There's always been a resistance from some in the Reaper user base to incorporating well known design principles. I think there's a feeling that it somehow or other insults Justin, the developer, who has a bit of a cult status.
While I agree with your statement, the real problem in design @Reaper is the dev's design philosophy, not his followers. As a Reaper owner and longtime follower it has been very frustrating to watch such a brilliant coder almost completely ignore most other DAW workflows (except maybe Vegas), in favor of the velcro approach to design - throw a bunch of features out there and see what sticks...ugh!

Shhhhh - I heard that Justin is going to implement chord tracks a la Cubase but go Steinberg one better by allowing unlimited chord tracks per project. Magnifique!

woggle wrote:requiring people to learn multiple keystrokes for the same underlying functionality has increased the memory requirements unnecessarily-that is poor interface design
It's not required - it can be the same exact keyboard shortcut for the same thing between main and MIDI editor, if you want it to, if you use the pass-through action.

It indeed is more flexible this way.

C-note wrote:
woggle wrote:

While I agree with your statement, the real problem in design @Reaper is the dev's design philosophy, not his followers. As a Reaper owner and longtime follower it has been very frustrating to watch such a brilliant coder almost completely ignore most other DAW workflows (except maybe Vegas), in favor of the velcro approach to design - throw a bunch of features out there and see what sticks...ugh!

Shhhhh - I heard that Justin is going to implement chord tracks a la Cubase but go Steinberg one better by allowing unlimited chord tracks per project. Magnifique!
yep - it comes from the software development methodology being unsuited to complex large scale software

EvilDragon wrote:
woggle wrote:requiring people to learn multiple keystrokes for the same underlying functionality has increased the memory requirements unnecessarily-that is poor interface design
It's not required - it can be the same exact keyboard shortcut for the same thing between main and MIDI editor, if you want it to, if you use the pass-through action.

It indeed is more flexible this way.
It's crummy design - anyone with experience in UX or Interaction Design should know that and hand waving about flexibility doesn't change that. Why not just code your own just how you want it - that's even more flexible. There really is no need for this strange defensiveness around the Reaper design - if anything it has held Reaper back .
Last edited by woggle on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Improving the way that instruments and FX panels are displayed would be a massive step towards usability. At present, it's just way too convoluted to use, which is why I jumped ship to Studio One and Logic.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”