What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Bad Sci-fi

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

3420 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

T-CM11 wrote:I recently tried some new scifi show, don't remember the name now, it was a bit like X-men/Heroes/4400, with teenagers. Didn't finish watching the first episode. Must have something to do with the commercial success of Twilight. :dog:

The Tomorrow People- I love that show.
Most of the characters are in thier early 20's while the lead character is still in high school. Definately not Twilight The lead characters had sex (we'll not on camera but it was implied)

Not all of us seek the great intellectual, metaphisical, unifying theory when watching sci-fi. Even though it appears to be the last bastion of intellectual television.

The intellectual sci-fi drama award goes to "Almost Human" but they do it from a stupid premise. "Saving the world from dangerous new technology by using dangerous new technology"
KVRAF

38411 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:23 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

I'm not sure what to think of "almost human"
KVRian

1134 posts since 31 Jan, 2003, from Ghent, Belgium

Postby T-CM11; Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:40 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

tapper mike wrote:Definately not Twilight The lead characters had sex (we'll not on camera but it was implied)

So it's a more realistic view on teenagers... :D

tapper mike wrote:Not all of us seek the great intellectual, metaphisical, unifying theory when watching sci-fi. Even though it appears to be the last bastion of intellectual television.

That would be my preference, but even the best ones (like TNG) leave a lot to be desired. ;) I wish they were more like the books where a lot of inspiration comes from (AC Clarke, Asimov, PK Dick, etc.)
But I can even like "plain fun scifi". What I don't like is teenage drama/soap opera/family values and all that crap... scifi.
KVRAF

Postby tapper mike; Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:46 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

How long does it take to write a book? How many books did these great authors write in a year?
You have 7 days to right an episode and the next episode and the episode after that. You don't get to change the characters or the central theme.
KVRian

Postby T-CM11; Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:47 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

tapper mike wrote:The intellectual sci-fi drama award goes to "Almost Human" but they do it from a stupid premise. "Saving the world from dangerous new technology by using dangerous new technology"

For me it's just "plain fun scifi". :clown:
I thought the stupid premise was "the law vs. the evil terrorists". :D
KVRian

Postby T-CM11; Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:49 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

tapper mike wrote:How long does it take to write a book? How many books did these great authors write in a year?
You have 7 days to right an episode and the next episode and the episode after that. You don't get to change the characters or the central theme.

Look at Sherlock... only 3 episodes per season (year). Great show btw.!!
KVRAF

Postby tapper mike; Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:06 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

T-CM11 wrote:
tapper mike wrote:The intellectual sci-fi drama award goes to "Almost Human" but they do it from a stupid premise. "Saving the world from dangerous new technology by using dangerous new technology"

For me it's just "plain fun scifi". :clown:
I thought the stupid premise was "the law vs. the evil terrorists". :D

Actually they deal with a lot of complex issues under the surface. Sometimes I think it's so subdued that it flies by most people.

Take the last episode I watched involving the death of three girls from an academically rich school. Two posess 'enhanced" dna. The episode on one level addresses designer drugs that only a specific group of people are allowed to use. Within the framework of the school system and the genetically enhanced children we see classic Caste theory in place. That only a certain "type" of people are allowed priviledge based on genetic disposition. Peel away one layer of that and you get "extremist" Darwinism that conjures up the idea of breeding people for specific roles in society. And that you may be talented and smart as a non 'enhanced' person can be you'll never be good enough compared to an 'enhanced" person. I had a true crisis of conscience over this subject back in my college days. I never liked anyone telling me I wasn't smart enough and I liked it even less when someone believed that of themselves especially when all outward appearances including grades told a different story.

In the prior episode Dorian is faced with a God dillema. He meets his creator of which he has nothing but admiration and yet is perplexed by his creator disposition. His creator,,, created a different android that was pure evil and more powerful. Why would God create a Devil more powerful then the angels he created to serve the betterment of mankind?

Almost human deals with philisophical and societal issues that have faced humanity as long as society has been around.
Sometimes I think that it does so in such a manner that the viewer misses it all

It will run out of these high minded cliche's in quick fashion and it will be yet another shoot em up cop show.
KVRAF

2210 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

tapper mike wrote:How long does it take to write a book? How many books did these great authors write in a year?

"South Park" allegedly turns episodes around in a week.

However... Using "Justified", new seasons start in January, as an example because I've seen those writers, producers and Olyphant and the late great Elmore Leonard interviewed about the process. By this time in February, the writers have already started writing the basic story lines for the season, casting has already begun and locations set up. By late Spring, they have full scripts and are setting up for a late Summer shoot.

Those writers have a long time to deliver their work, not seven days.

The exceptions are something like that 4th season of "Babylon 5" when Straczynski was informed he wasn't going to get a 5th, so he had to rewrite the whole season in short order to finish the series' main story arc.

(a short side trip.)

The big panic over at HBO is that George R. R. Martin is going to vapor-lock before he completes the entire "Song of Ice and Fire" series. They are turning out 10 episodes of the series, one book at a time, every year. By June of 2015, they will have run out of books to adapt... and "In January 2014, Martin’s UK publisher, Jane Johnson, declared on Twitter that the book (the new one, "The Winds of Winter") would “certainly” not be published before 2015". OK, if they can get it adapted in time, that's the 2016 season.

So Martin will have a little over one year to give them an adaptation of a planned 1500 page story? Maybe he'll do the hat trick. Maybe he's already got TWO 1500 page manuscripts almost ready and he's busy editing and re-editing them and they will be perfect and ON TIME.
KVRian

1064 posts since 15 Oct, 2008

Postby Aroused by JarJar; Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:24 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

Fun thread on a subject dear to my heart, thanks guys/gals/Gungans.

Avatar. Swapping out "subhuman red devils" for "non-human blue angels" doesn't change the fact that the motor of it is "dehumanizing". Shockingly bad New Age "spiritual tribal" music. All the parents burst out laughing at that scene when I saw it with my child, that was fun. James Cameron's real-life asteroid mining scheme is great, though.

ScyFy Channel "low budget" films. I was taken aback to see the budgets of these atrocities- some cost four million US dollars! That's almost as much as Moon, and consider the fact that Hunter Prey cost less than half a million, and it was a solid and handsome movie. Every once in a while they come up with a decent bit of entertainment- "metalshifters" was a cute small-town comedy/romance/drama with effects bad enough to be good.

Star Trek. I used to like the franchise, then one day I thought to myself, wow, decades of smug smirking sappiness. Except "Enterprise", a decent entertaining TV show on its own terms.

Prometheus. I guess as a demonstration of why you should not use a Ouija board to write screenplays, it is effective.

Babylon 5. The first couple of seasons and story arc were very nice, then the New Age stuff really started pouring and as my kid said, "they ruined it".

I, Robot. Self-explanatory.
KVRian

Postby T-CM11; Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:45 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

tapper mike wrote:Actually they deal with a lot of complex issues under the surface. Sometimes I think it's so subdued that it flies by most people.

Take the last episode I watched involving the death of three girls from an academically rich school. Two posess 'enhanced" dna. The episode on one level addresses designer drugs that only a specific group of people are allowed to use. Within the framework of the school system and the genetically enhanced children we see classic Caste theory in place. That only a certain "type" of people are allowed priviledge based on genetic disposition. Peel away one layer of that and you get "extremist" Darwinism that conjures up the idea of breeding people for specific roles in society. And that you may be talented and smart as a non 'enhanced' person can be you'll never be good enough compared to an 'enhanced" person. I had a true crisis of conscience over this subject back in my college days. I never liked anyone telling me I wasn't smart enough and I liked it even less when someone believed that of themselves especially when all outward appearances including grades told a different story.

Correction: AFAIK, the drug was illegal, the genetically enhanced weren't allowed to use it either. And the non-enhanced kids just couldn't handle it -> that girl that jumped into the ocean.
To me the emphasis seemed more on the difference between the haves & the have nots (as in: money!). Who wouldn't want some of that "enhanced" dna? But only the rich kids with rich parents could...

You're right, some interesting subjects too, but maybe you give it a bit too much credit? :wink:
Last edited by T-CM11 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVRian

Postby T-CM11; Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

Aroused by JarJar wrote:Avatar. Swapping out "subhuman red devils" for "non-human blue angels" doesn't change the fact that the motor of it is "dehumanizing". Shockingly bad New Age "spiritual tribal" music. All the parents burst out laughing at that scene when I saw it with my child, that was fun. James Cameron's real-life asteroid mining scheme is great, though.

Pocahontas in space! :D
One of the last times I went to a movie theatre, and the first & last time I tried that 3D thing (headache!!!).
KVRian

1064 posts since 15 Oct, 2008

Postby Aroused by JarJar; Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:27 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

T-CM11 wrote:
Aroused by JarJar wrote:Avatar. Swapping out "subhuman red devils" for "non-human blue angels" doesn't change the fact that the motor of it is "dehumanizing". Shockingly bad New Age "spiritual tribal" music. All the parents burst out laughing at that scene when I saw it with my child, that was fun. James Cameron's real-life asteroid mining scheme is great, though.

Pocahontas in space! :D
One of the last times I went to a movie theatre, and the first & last time I tried that 3D thing (headache!!!).

Pocahontas, yeah. LOL. On the plus side, great visuals and Sigourney Weaver was excellent.
KVRAF

7238 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

Saturn 3.
Hated Tomorrow People. Almost Human is very uneven. I don't see it lasting long.
Agents Of Shield is agents of boredom.
There's a new show on tonight on the CW called Star-Crossed. It sounds very Alien Nation, except all the aliens are hot teens (go figure) Ima check it out...
KVRian

Postby T-CM11; Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:09 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

osiris wrote:There's a new show on tonight on the CW called Star-Crossed. It sounds very Alien Nation, except all the aliens are hot teens (go figure) Ima check it out...

imdb wrote:About an epic romance between a human girl and an alien boy when he and eight others of his kind are integrated into a suburban high school 10 years after they landed on Earth and were consigned to an internment camp.

Sure, right after I finish the Vampire Diaries... :borg:

Disclaimer: this post may contain sarcasm.
KVRAF

7238 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:14 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

Speaking of Avatar, my friend and I were having an argument about what his alien body was.
She contends it was all a dream he has while hooked up to the machine - like Source Code. WRONG!!!!!
I say the Avatar body was one of them dead they could reanimate through the brain transfer.
This will come back to bite him in the ass in the next movie (I;m guessing).
AFAIK, do they ever say what the avatars are?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic