One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

e@rs wrote:We agree that the difference in quality between commercial and free plugins is small, so why they shouldn't be allowed?
8) Touché, but there's still a gap obviously. Maybe it's a bit like freeware synths compared to commercial ones. Of course the rule is to level between the haves and have-nots, compounded by the fact the have-nots already have a major handicap with poor computers etc. A nice plugin workflow is nothing to a stuttering overheating old computer with cheap sound card drivers etc. Bouncing, hair-pulling .. I think we've all been there. Freeing the haves to use their favorite plugins will just add to this gap.

V'ger wrote:A nice plugin workflow is nothing to a stuttering overheating old computer with cheap sound card drivers etc. Bouncing, hair-pulling .. I think we've all been there. Freeing the haves to use their favorite plugins will just add to this gap.
He, he, so true ;) I had to bounce all tracks for my OSC 60 entry 'cause after 5-6 instances the synth/DAW started acting strange and never recovered :) I'd rather use various 3rd party effects 'cause I like 'em better, but I'm forced to stick to mostly DAW's natives 'cause they have the smallest CPU appetite; so yeah, if you're working on an old PC it's a pain in the rear to finish a song :) But well worth the effort :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

V'ger wrote:Touché, but there's still a gap obviously. Maybe it's a bit like freeware synths compared to commercial ones. Of course the rule is to level between the haves and have-nots, compounded by the fact the have-nots already have a major handicap with poor computers etc. A nice plugin workflow is nothing to a stuttering overheating old computer with cheap sound card drivers etc. Bouncing, hair-pulling .. I think we've all been there. Freeing the haves to use their favorite plugins will just add to this gap.
I see this gap you're talking about. It's reflected in the submissions quality. But I honestly belive it's there because of the human in front of the screen not because of the plugins he uses. And I haven't yet come across a (paid) plugin that any ignorant just inserts and then stunning, almost magic stuff comes out.

I'm not trying to be rude, offensive or disrespectful, it's not my intention, but when you chosed high CPU usage synths like Aalto, Alchemy or Diva for OSCs, the poor guy with slow computer and crap drivers didn't exist? I have a 6 years old mid-range computer and I own a few commercial effects, nothing ridiculously fancy or expensive. Apart from those intended for mastering (with high CPU usage and major latency), I can run all of them in more instances then needed in a project on my modest system.
Last edited by e@rs on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

idfpower wrote:I had to bounce all tracks for my OSC 60 entry 'cause after 5-6 instances the synth/DAW started acting strange and never recovered
It's because of the commercial effects you used. Never do that again. :dog:

e@rs wrote:It's because of the commercial effects you used. Never do that again. :dog:
Ha ha, you're right :) I've bounced everything from FL Studio into Adobe Audition 3 - which is freeware now - applied a bunch of freebie effects and voila, problem solved ;) Too bad there's no better free alternative to FL's sequencer/piano roll... such great time savers and dead easy to use ;)
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

e@rs wrote:I'm not trying to be rude, offensive or disrespectful, it's not my intention, but when you chosed high CPU usage synths like Aalto, Alchemy or Diva for OSCs, the poor guy with slow computer and crap drivers didn't exist? I have a 6 years old mid-range computer and I own a few commercial effects, nothing ridiculously fancy or expensive. Apart from those intended for mastering (with high CPU usage and major latency), I can run all of them in more instances then needed in a project on my modest system.
Another good point, but synths are not chosen only for their CPU usage obviously, just as the freeware vs. commercial effects is not a matter of CPU usage either. We all accept that there will always be a difference between people's systems and economic situations and that this is not the deciding factor in this competition which is why there is a mix of synths both CPU wise and freeware/commercial. The point was simply that if the difference between commercial and free effects is so small, there exists an argument for minimizing the advantage gap if the benefit is anyway minimal (workflow oriented).
Last edited by V'ger on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e@rs wrote:
idfpower wrote:I had to bounce all tracks for my OSC 60 entry 'cause after 5-6 instances the synth/DAW started acting strange and never recovered
It's because of the commercial effects you used. Never do that again. :dog:
Eh? Has anyone said commercial effect plugins use more CPU? :roll:

Hope not. I was trying to be funny / annoy idfpower because he's so against them. :oops:

e@rs wrote:Hope not. I was trying to be funny / annoy idfpower because he's so against them. :oops:
For the record: I'm not against commercial plugins, I'm against using commercial plugins in OSC, that's all :lol:

Of course this matter will be decided by vote as with most major rules issues so there's no need to convince anybody but for the sake of argument I'll turn this around:

Do you think commercial plugins have an advantage over freeware or is the whole business based on a falsehood?

Do you think all OSCers would have the same means to access the same level of commercial plugins?

If you agree commercial have an advantage, and that there will always be a geographical or other circumstantial situation (no fault of their own) that will make a difference to contestant's level of commercial plugin ownership and usage; do you then think that allowing them is fair or sporting in a competition?

V'ger wrote:Of course this matter will be decided by vote as with most major rules issues so there's no need to convince anybody
Fair enough.
V'ger wrote:Do you think commercial plugins have an advantage over freeware or is the whole business based on a falsehood?
Sonically, IMHO they have, but is not huge. And they have better GUIs. And better support. And if you reached for your wallet to get them you're more motivated to learn them. And you feel better simply because you use paid plugins, not like those guys at OSC that are limited to free ones. :lol:
V'ger wrote:Do you think all OSCers would have the same means to access the same level of commercial plugins?
Definetely not. But everyone will bring what they could afford and love.
V'ger wrote:If you agree commercial have an advantage, and that there will always be a geographical or other circumstantial situation (no fault of their own) that will make a difference to contestant's level of commercial plugin ownership and usage; do you then think that allowing them is fair or sporting in a competition?
Everybody uses a different DAW (and it's effects), so it's not fair from the start.

Interesting debate.. looks like either we are going to get to use the commercial effects plugins or lose the DAW effects use :-D
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

e@rs wrote: Everybody uses a different DAW (and it's effects), so it's not fair from the start.
I haven't really been paying attention because of time pressures but did that change? Back ye olden dayze DAW effects were only allowed if they were available to all – which basically limited that option to Reaper if you were going to use DAW effects. I can remember having to hunt down a bunch of free substitutes for pretty much everything in the older competitions, including EQ.

Gamma-UT wrote: I haven't really been paying attention because of time pressures but did that change?
Yup: DAW effects are (now) allowed.

satYatunes wrote:looks like either we are going to get to use the commercial effects plugins or lose the DAW effects use :-D
... or not :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Instruments”