Need Help With a Synth Sound Please

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How are the synths created in this track? The one I'm more interested in is the one that comes in at 0.12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMnCFSTu2mc

I've tried using the Korg M1, but was told that's totally the wrong synth. I hear these sort of synths in a lot of music. The dubstep producer Joker uses them a lot too.

What are they and what VST would be the best to use to create them? I only have Korg M1, Massive and FM8 but I don't mind buying a synth if it's going to help me learn to master these types of sounds.

Are they 80's synth sounds?

Any help would be much appreciated ...

Is it the strings Pad sound

It's a harmonically pretty rich sound, so I think it could be from an Additive synth, maybe something like Harmor. Similar sounds could be made with FM synths, too. Another alternative to reproduce this sound would be KONTAKT with the appropriate samples...

Regarding modulation, what I hear is a volume envelope and a lowpass filter envelope which makes this typical "Wahwah" sound, as well as some delay and reverb.

The sound that comes in at 0.12, it's like a filtered pad yes.

Tricky-Loops wrote:It's a harmonically pretty rich sound, so I think it could be from an Additive synth, maybe something like Harmor. Similar sounds could be made with FM synths, too. Another alternative to reproduce this sound would be KONTAKT with the appropriate samples...

Regarding modulation, what I hear is a volume envelope and a lowpass filter envelope which makes this typical "Wahwah" sound, as well as some delay and reverb.
FM synthesis confuses the heck out of me. I'll have a look at Harmor. Someone said it was a 2 OSC brass sound. Though it sounds more "harmonic" as you suggested.

I don't know if this comes close ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqZoGxGedCc

Harmor is out of the question, I'm on a Mac :(

IMO it sounds like saws mixed with squares (and maybe a triangle for some sparkle).

You could also try Unisono to make harmonically rich pad sounds, for example DUNE (should be available for Mac, too).

Try Sylenth1, there are sounds that comes pretty close to it

whatthefdge wrote:Try Sylenth1, there are sounds that comes pretty close to it
You're correct mate. I found a thread on GearSlutz where someone asked a similar question. They also mentioned "Wave Racer" (https://soundcloud.com/wave-racer) who uses similar synths. Someone who knew both him and "Cosmic Midnight" said they rely pretty much on Sylenth1.

Whether or not this source is genuine, either way you pretty much said what they did here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-a ... racer.html

Going to buy Sylenth1 tomorrow. It's one of those synths I hear about all the time but have yet to jump on it. Now is the time.

Just because most mainstream EDM artists are using Sylenth and Massive - because they have the most presets - doesn't mean that it cannot reproduced with other synths.

But do what you want, I don't care if most people are using Sylenth and Massive, I have enough other - better - synths!

I'm not implying that because something is over used that it's a "must". I am a Massive user, and not because every man and their dog are using it. It's because NI make great software at an affordable cost and I happen to own NI Komplete 7 which came with Massive when I purchased it.

I've never used Synlenth, but I've heard it's great, and if it can help me achieve a goal, then great.

I don't see you offering any solution to the current problem Tricky-Loops. Share your "better" synths, help those that are requesting help if you can. I'd certainly do the same if I was in the position to help a fellow producer.

GV1 wrote:I'm not implying that because something is over used that it's a "must". I am a Massive user, and not because every man and their dog are using it. It's because NI make great software at an affordable cost and I happen to own NI Komplete 7 which came with Massive when I purchased it.

I've never used Synlenth, but I've heard it's great, and if it can help me achieve a goal, then great.

I don't see you offering any solution to the current problem Tricky-Loops. Share your "better" synths, help those that are requesting help if you can. I'd certainly do the same if I was in the position to help a fellow producer.
Now I gave you tips about the right waveforms and modulations and recommended you some great synths (including DUNE which makes similar sounds like those in your posted videos)

-- and all I hear is from you "You don't offer any solutions"?

Sorry, if you only need a Sylenth preset which sounds 100 % like the lead in the video because you don't want to experiment with synths, waveforms & modulations yourself, I shouldn't have given you any tips, then it was a waste of my time.

Tricky-Loops wrote:
GV1 wrote:I'm not implying that because something is over used that it's a "must". I am a Massive user, and not because every man and their dog are using it. It's because NI make great software at an affordable cost and I happen to own NI Komplete 7 which came with Massive when I purchased it.

Now I gave you tips about the right waveforms and modulations and recommended you some great synths (including DUNE which makes similar sounds like those in your posted videos)

-- and all I hear is from you "You don't offer any solutions"?

Sorry, if you only need a Sylenth preset which sounds 100 % like the lead in the video because you don't want to experiment with synths, waveforms & modulations yourself, I shouldn't have given you any tips, then it was a waste of my time.
Ah, my bad. I didn't realise it was you who suggested that. For the record though, I've never used a "patch" in the entire 12 years I've been producing music. After spending time learning on my own, if I can't find a solution I tend to ask on a forum - like now. It's rare I do that. It's unfair to say that someone doesn't want to experiment based on one post. Whatever synth I use I will be producing my own sounds, I just wanted ideas on what's the ideal synth to use for creating these types of sounds.

I had already experimented for days with the Korg M1 which I've now learnt is like trying to use the back of screwdriver to hit a nail.

Either way, I thank you for your suggestions and your time. Apologies if I came off as an ignorant idiot.

Ok guys lets not fight here. Make love not war people. Don't be a hipster and hate on mainstream stuffs just because "mainstream" EDM producers use it. You can use whatever you want as long as it satisfies your ears. And Sylenth1 is just the synthesizer that has the presets that sounds closest to his requested sound. And GV1, I highly recommend buying Sylenth1 it can create some of the best saw you will ever hear and other waves too lol :D

I'm not surprised at all. "Sylenth" and "Massive" are the suggestions that I read in every second post of so-called "EDM-producers". But there are many other synths out there which are better than Sylenth and Massive.

I mentioned Harmor and DUNE. I could also mention Z3ta+ 2, Synthmaster, Corona, Spire, Rhino, Predator, Nexus, Curve 2 and many more. With a bit of effort you can make similar sounds like in the video with these synths, too...

I'm at the point where I DON'T want to use Sylenth & Massive just because most EDM mainstream artists are using them...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sound Design”