Things I hate about... - Cubase 7

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

This whole thing is why I stuck with 5.5. It seems worse than X1/2 ever was. :?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Compyfox wrote:Care to elaborate what they runined in 7.5?

My project are at least heavily reliant on the meters and one insert slot per monitor set in the Control Room. If you say it with that tone, there seems to be more broken.

And... I'm worried regarding TheoM's other comments as well. Despite certain good new features (which do make sense), please don't tell me they disimproved the general Cubase usability even more.

Just quickly re asio guard as i haven't been following the topic anymore, i do realise it ticks FX by default but i thought you might have un ticked some, or turned it off, i was just curious whether you were doing 6.5 comparisons to 7 with AG off or on.

As far as myself, i will be selling 7.5, it's just too flaky for me personally and i'd rather not go through what you went through or what i did with reason last year, so i "just say no" Easy, simple, done. I'd rather lose a bit of money than drive myself nuts. I agree with you there is something inherently wrong with C7 asio engine, the fact that mavericks broke it on mac but not one other DAW, shows that they are doing something non standard. L9 will work great for me for the next couple of years, if i am still making music in 2016, and Logic X or XI is still no good, i will re investigate Cubase then (with alot of research first this time), or look at whatever options I have. I just need to chill now and enjoy logic.

Thanks for the update, Katzy. I still think a quick thread on the Hardware Setup forum with a suitable thread title [overheating Intel Six core system or something] here on KVR would be useful to anyone else building a modern six-core system. You could just paste what you put in your posts into one or more posts there and anyone else coming along with troubles or trying to spec a new system can learn from your experiences. It is funny that Intel six core systems are a process shrink behind their cheap desktop and laptop systems. They sell their 8 and 10 core versions of the latest process as Xeons for $$$ and give the enthusiasts who really want the extra processing power the hotter more power guzzling Sandy or Ivy Bridge based tech.

Compyfox wrote:The DAWbench project it's still a specific test that doesn't show "compatibility", "stability" and "behavior" of Cubase over several rigs and OSes. It shows's "what's possible at max", with whatever hardware/software you use. DAWbench is a plain CPU stress test.
No No and... No.
Compyfox wrote:Care to fill me in why I need to contact "Vin" now as well? Am I not "skilled enough" to handle or configure a PC or something? Had the wrong training I guess.
Hehe... Oh dear :roll:

You are so mad that... you have no idea, eh ?...

Good luck, R.

TheoM wrote:Just quickly re asio guard as i haven't been following the topic anymore,
Which is understandable at this point.

TheoM wrote:i do realise it ticks FX by default but i thought you might have un ticked some, or turned it off, i was just curious whether you were doing 6.5 comparisons to 7 with AG off or on.
I pretty much gave up testing everything else other than the thing by Steinberg, Theo. Since this is a cross compatibility and "general behavior" test for this particular host. I sticked to the default settings - and the project accesses Cubase internal stuff anyway.

I tested with the Guard both on and off in C7, and C6.x doesn't have a Guard as you know. Please take another look at the PDF on page 28.

TheoM wrote:I just need to chill now and enjoy logic.
Sounds like a great backup plan. :tu:

Tp3 wrote:You are so mad that... you have no idea, eh ?...

Good luck, R.
Now you're just as helpful as a certain someone. And to be honest - whatever floats your boat, stick to it. Be happy.

You didn't want to futher comment on the new OS/HDD thing, neither on switching RAM. You still insist that contacting the creator of the DAWbench solves all my problems (they worked together with people like ScanPro Audio, you know - and I am in touch with ScanPro Audio!), and that I'm ultimately wrong and not skilled enough.

You think I'm mad and bigoted - fine with me. I give up. I have better things to do than debate this any further.

Thanks anyway for trying to help - but this is not leading any further.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:You didn't want to futher comment on the new OS/HDD thing
I did. search for it.
Compyfox wrote:neither on switching RAM.
Becuase anything CAN happen. and you just don't want to skip on this. the truth ? there is nothing to comment. just want one more thing to check.
Compyfox wrote:You still insist that contacting ... and that I'm ultimately wrong and not skilled enough.
Man, what the ?... :help:

Dude, you to grow up... and a good night sleep.

You sure are very good at stretching the human patience to its limits... :shrug:

Good luck, fella :|
Last edited by Tp3 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Way to go even further OT.

Not commenting on this anymore. It's useless.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Way to go even further OT.

Not commenting on this anymore. It's useless.
Is that a promise?? I bet you can't keep it hehe
:D

from my other thread titled 'im so sick and tired of daw crashes. ie the most stable daw?'

i wrote the following:

o.m.f.g that's it! what i mean is, i thought the asio bug was a cubase bug, turns out it is not. was having similar spike issues in s1v2. somebody posted in this thread about how there working on the asio overload bug in cubase, so i hopped over there today, spent about 3 hours going through all the bug and complaint threads. its hilarious what i seen.

there was one thread were 3 people were having the same issues. turns out two of them had aero disabled i also had it disabled which makes three people. some steinberg expert said that aero needs to be enabled. that is, if you disable aero, your pc processor uses unneeded cpu to run graphics. which is what your videocard is for so you do have that extra cpu. not only that, he said that if you disable aero not only does what i described above occur but your very likely to suffer audio drop outs and spikes because of it.

then, he also said, people are still setting there pc to background services which is 'an xp tweak that causes issues in w7' 'another reason why they suffer dropouts. "asio is NOT a background service." guess who else had there pc set to background services, yep all three of us. then, somebody else said, its best to let windows decide your advanced display looks.

i adjusted all those, when i did the problems improved but were still there appearing at unpredictable times. then somebody said they went back to the oldest driver they could for there video card so i did the same, first time i went back to second to last driver, more stability, but still some spikes, went back to oldest driver available in amd previous drivers. BAM! like that no more spikes, no dropouts, no asio overloads. nothing. both studio one v2 and cubase work great now. lol im trying, i really am to get those spikes, i cant, 4 hours ago halion sonic would spike when loading sustained sounds patches. not anymore.

lastly, a steinberg rep said that all these spikes are due to how today videocards handle whats essentially a dated driver format. basically, modern videocards, or old videocards with modern drivers have a lot of issues due to all the new technology designed to make games run more efficient.

these new drivers are great for games, but bad news for musicians. so if your having problems in studioone v2, cubase, or any other daw. now you know why, and if possible can try to fix it.

oh and one more thing, as somebody pointed out in one of the threads. installing older drivers actually makes the daw use less cpu with plugins. hard to believe i know. i noticed it though myself.

i also lowered my latency instead of raised it too. currently its at 256. so try that too. some cards actually degrade in quality if you raise the buffer too high. 'as somebody on the cubase forums said'

i really hope, that i wont have to eat my words if the issues occur again. but as of now, its smooth sailing in c7 and s1v2.

AstralExistence wrote:from my other thread titled 'im so sick and tired of daw crashes. ie the most stable daw?'

i wrote the following:

o.m.f.g that's it! what i mean is, i thought the asio bug was a cubase bug, turns out it is not. was having similar spike issues in s1v2. somebody posted in this thread about how there working on the asio overload bug in cubase, so i hopped over there today, spent about 3 hours going through all the bug and complaint threads. its hilarious what i seen.

there was one thread were 3 people were having the same issues. turns out two of them had aero disabled i also had it disabled which makes three people. some steinberg expert said that aero needs to be enabled. that is, if you disable aero, your pc processor uses unneeded cpu to run graphics. which is what your videocard is for so you do have that extra cpu. not only that, he said that if you disable aero not only does what i described above occur but your very likely to suffer audio drop outs and spikes because of it.

then, he also said, people are still setting there pc to background services which is 'an xp tweak that causes issues in w7' 'another reason why they suffer dropouts. "asio is NOT a background service." guess who else had there pc set to background services, yep all three of us. then, somebody else said, its best to let windows decide your advanced display looks.

i adjusted all those, when i did the problems improved but were still there appearing at unpredictable times. then somebody said they went back to the oldest driver they could for there video card so i did the same, first time i went back to second to last driver, more stability, but still some spikes, went back to oldest driver available in amd previous drivers. BAM! like that no more spikes, no dropouts, no asio overloads. nothing. both studio one v2 and cubase work great now. lol im trying, i really am to get those spikes, i cant, 4 hours ago halion sonic would spike when loading sustained sounds patches. not anymore.

lastly, a steinberg rep said that all these spikes are due to how today videocards handle whats essentially a dated driver format. basically, modern videocards, or old videocards with modern drivers have a lot of issues due to all the new technology designed to make games run more efficient.

these new drivers are great for games, but bad news for musicians. so if your having problems in studioone v2, cubase, or any other daw. now you know why, and if possible can try to fix it.

oh and one more thing, as somebody pointed out in one of the threads. installing older drivers actually makes the daw use less cpu with plugins. hard to believe i know. i noticed it though myself.

i also lowered my latency instead of raised it too. currently its at 256. so try that too. some cards actually degrade in quality if you raise the buffer too high. 'as somebody on the cubase forums said'

i really hope, that i wont have to eat my words if the issues occur again. but as of now, its smooth sailing in c7 and s1v2.
How extensively do you use C7?

I've had issues with cpu spikes, but mostly in C7. Studio One always been much more stable on my system than C7. I really do want to use C7 as I do like it. So after I got rid of cpu spikes and general latency issues, I really thought that all is fine and dandy until I dug a little deeper. By that I mean I gotten to a bigger session with multiple tracks: audio & instrument. That's when these odd things started to occur. Even though they weren't anything major, they were however significant enough to disrupt the workflow and eventually frustrate me. For example: had an issue with one of my Zebra instances. Note editing and sound tweaking went as expected, but as soon as I add volume automation, it would immediately screw up the playback of that instance. Volume jumps uncontrollably, gets really loud and distorted even though levels are way down.This might not be a big deal for some, but for me it gotten old really fast and gotten to the point where I couldn't continue, so I just exported the project and continued to work on it in Studio One without any issues.

It is probable that C7 just doesn't agree well with some of my components, but then again Studio One works flawlessly in identical environment. One might say at this point I should just stick to SO, which I am going to for the time being. Just sucks that I can't manage to get a single session out of C7 without running into some sort of problem, regardless how minor it might be. Thought about selling my copy, but I'll sit on it at least until version 8. Maybe something will change. Time will tell.

I might also try downgrading my video card driver just to see if it'll make any difference, even though latency isn't a problem anymore.

extensive enough to know that cubase 7 was seriously problematic on my pc vs 6.5. and the improvements are extensive enough to notice.

AstralExistence wrote:there was one thread were 3 people were having the same issues. turns out two of them had aero disabled i also had it disabled which makes three people. some steinberg expert said that aero needs to be enabled. that is, if you disable aero, your pc processor uses unneeded cpu to run graphics. which is what your videocard is for so you do have that extra cpu. not only that, he said that if you disable aero not only does what i described above occur but your very likely to suffer audio drop outs and spikes because of it.
I've tested everything from most recent drivers, or "old drivers", to basic drivers, AERO on, AERO off. No difference!

Currently I'm on "default windows" drivers for my GPU, AERO is on, but I disabled everything in terms of transparency and animation. This wasn't a solution to my reported issues.

AstralExistence wrote:then, he also said, people are still setting there pc to background services which is 'an xp tweak that causes issues in w7' 'another reason why they suffer dropouts. "asio is NOT a background service." guess who else had there pc set to background services, yep all three of us. then, somebody else said, its best to let windows decide your advanced display looks.
Tested that as well. Background Service on and Off. No difference.
Actually, setting the "performance switch" from Cubase actually made things worse.

AstralExistence wrote: nothing. both studio one v2 and cubase work great now. lol im trying, i really am to get those spikes, i cant, 4 hours ago halion sonic would spike when loading sustained sounds patches. not anymore.
Did you try the latest maintenance update of Cubase? it fixed certain issues with ASIO load/spikes of Steinberg internal plugins.

AstralExistence wrote:lastly, a steinberg rep said that all these spikes are due to how today videocards handle whats essentially a dated driver format. basically, modern videocards, or old videocards with modern drivers have a lot of issues due to all the new technology designed to make games run more efficient.
Disproved that with the support myself.

AstralExistence wrote:oh and one more thing, as somebody pointed out in one of the threads. installing older drivers actually makes the daw use less cpu with plugins. hard to believe i know. i noticed it though myself.
Difference is minimal. Though chances are that you have less graphic glitches - or more, depending on the used plugin and graphical routines.

AstralExistence wrote:i also lowered my latency instead of raised it too. currently its at 256. so try that too. some cards actually degrade in quality if you raise the buffer too high. 'as somebody on the cubase forums said'
I call shenanigans on that. If you have a high class card, there is no degradation happening at all - only the latency changes. If that would be the case, I'd drop the ADC instantly.

Don't believe everything you read.

AstralExistence wrote:i really hope, that i wont have to eat my words if the issues occur again. but as of now, its smooth sailing in c7 and s1v2.
You read a lot of half-knowledge.

If it works for you, fine. But there is more to it than using AERO or changing a "background task" switch. I've been there. And I'm at a point where I can somewhat use Cubase 7 - but I'm still not happy with it.

for me it worked :shrug: i only posted that to try to help other cubase users. studio one is my chosen daw now anyway. i love the one window paradigm and workflow that can be best described as a childlike in its ease of use and artistic in its creative output.

So you haven't tried the recent Cubase maintenance updates then.

Compyfox wrote:So you haven't tried the recent Cubase maintenance updates then.

in a good or bad context? i have the latest v7 update. not 7.5 still on v7 don't need the new plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”