The MIT Press publishes A Composer's Guide to Game Music

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wanted to let you know that my book, A Composer's Guide to Game Music, was just released by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press: http://amzn.com/0262026643

The Amazon page for the book includes a substantial excerpt (click on the image of the book cover to read). The Amazon page also shows the book's endorsements, which include Harry Gregson-Williams, David Jaffe, Michael Sweet and Didier Lord.

Here's how the Amazon page describes the book:
Music in video games is often a sophisticated, complex composition that serves to engage the player, set the pace of play, and aid interactivity. Composers of video game music must master an array of specialized skills not taught in the conservatory, including the creation of linear loops, music chunks for horizontal resequencing, and compositional fragments for use within a generative framework. In A Composer's Guide to Game Music, Winifred Phillips -- herself an award-winning composer of video game music -- provides a comprehensive, practical guide that leads an aspiring video game composer from acquiring the necessary creative skills to understanding the function of music in games to finding work in the field. Musicians and composers may be drawn to game music composition because the game industry is a multibillion-dollar, employment-generating economic powerhouse, but, Phillips writes, the most important qualification for a musician who wants to become a game music composer is a love of video games. Phillips offers detailed coverage of essential topics, including musicianship and composition experience; immersion; musical themes; music and game genres; workflow; working with a development team; linear music; interactive music, both rendered and generative; audio technology, from mixers and preamps to software; and running a business. A Composer's Guide to Game Music offers indispensable guidance for musicians and composers who want to deploy their creativity in a dynamic and growing industry, protect their musical identities while working in a highly technical field, and create great music within the constraints of a new medium.
I hope you like the book! By the way, I'll be releasing some supporting educational videos over the next few weeks that compliment the material in the book, so you can follow my Twitter to get notified when those go out. Thanks!

-Winifred Phillips (@winphillips)

Your book looks super interesting. I'm glad you posted about it otherwise I might not have found out about it. Looking through the sample on Amazon, I was struck by the demographics on page 4. Struck, but now that I think about it - not really surprised. A lot of people I know who are really into gaming fall into the 36+ category.

Congratulations on the book release! This one is definitely going on my wish list.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Thanks, Sequent! And I agree -- the demographics are very interesting. I learned a lot about gamer demographics while I was writing the book, and they really shed a new light on the gamer community.

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes about my book -- I really appreciate that!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”