Drumatic 4 - Osc Mod Velocity?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the Osc mod velocity knob into the VEL tab of the Mixer section?
I don't understand how it acts to the sound.

Basically velocity is linked to the volume, not to the pitch in Drumatic.
Nothing is write on the manual http://www.drumatic.info/manual/

Do you understand?

the second envelope tab, titled 'mod' is what you want.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

kingtubby wrote:the second envelope tab, titled 'mod' is what you want.
But that envelope doesn't act due to the velocity of the key. It is just an "envelope", such as the volume envelope.

On volume, vel knob is a whole volume multiplier...

It works just fine here.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

kingtubby wrote:It works just fine here.
I don't said it does not work. I asked how it works, so what it does.
I just don't understand this :)

It gives you velocity control of the Mod Envelope modulation depth.

Satch1 wrote:It gives you velocity control of the Mod Envelope modulation depth.
With MOD Envelope you can just decide the "pitch" envelope of the current oscillators output. The pitch it is not linked to velocity. I mean: if I change velocity I can only hear volume change, not pitch change.

Where is the connection between velocity->pitch in Drumatic 4? I don't see any...

There is only that "snap the frequency to the nearest midi note" control (for FREQ1 or FREQ2). But this has nothing to do with velocity...

Satch1 is correct. It controls the depth of the pitch modulation envelope. You can try it for yourself. Dial in an long, exaggerated pitch modulation envelope (second tab in the oscillator section) so you can hear a long pitch sweep and then turn up the velocity to mod dial. Playing with very low velocity almost completely kills the envelope so you just get a static tone, whereas playing with high velocity gives you the full pitch sweep. The velocity to filter controls work in the same way. They don't actually change the cut off frequency itself, just the depth of any modulation applied to it.

cron wrote:Satch1 is correct. It controls the depth of the pitch modulation envelope. You can try it for yourself. Dial in an long, exaggerated pitch modulation envelope (second tab in the oscillator section) so you can hear a long pitch sweep and then turn up the velocity to mod dial. Playing with very low velocity almost completely kills the envelope so you just get a static tone, whereas playing with high velocity gives you the full pitch sweep. The velocity to filter controls work in the same way. They don't actually change the cut off frequency itself, just the depth of any modulation applied to it.
So are you saying that:

- Osc volume depth
- Osc modulation depth
- Osc filter depth

(the 3° slider for each envelope tab) are all linked to the key velocity right?
I think this should be specify on the manual...

That's right. The 3 velocity response types are:

Volume
Pitch modulation depth
Filter modulation depth

You can use all 3 in the oscillator section, whereas the 2 noise generators have only volume and filter modulation depth (shame as most of the noise sources can be pitched).

Had a quick look at the manual and it does say that the velocity knob corresponds to "modulation depth" in the oscillator section. It isn't clear on the filter though. It just says "filter cutoff" where IMO it should say "filter modulation depth".

cron wrote:That's right. The 3 velocity response types are:

Volume
Pitch modulation depth
Filter modulation depth

You can use all 3 in the oscillator section, whereas the 2 noise generators have only volume and filter modulation depth (shame as most of the noise sources can be pitched).

Had a quick look at the manual and it does say that the velocity knob corresponds to "modulation depth" in the oscillator section. It isn't clear on the filter though. It just says "filter cutoff" where IMO it should say "filter modulation depth".
Which manual are you reading? I'm looking at this: http://www.drumatic.info/manual/
But it is not written that... or at least I don't see it. Where is?

That's the one. Right at the very bottom under the "Velocity" header in the "Mixer/Velocity" section.
Velocity
In the velocity tab you can set the velocity response for a number of parameters of the sound. You can set:

Oscillator
  • Volume
  • Modulation envelope
  • Filter cutoff
Noise 1
  • Volume
  • Filter cutoff
Noise 2
  • Volume
  • Filter cutoff
Hit
  • Filter cutoff
So modulation envelope is there, although I think it should say "cut off modulation depth" or similar instead of just "filter cutoff" for the most part.

The 'Hit' velocity knob behaves differently depending on which hit module you're using. It usually does control filter cutoff directly, unless you're using the "Hit Generator" device in which case it controls the 'mod' knob.

Yeah, but it is not Modulation Envelope (which has no sense imo). It is modulation depth :) (as labeled on the info).

I'm gonna check also the HIT module with my oscilloscope, trying to understand it as well myself (since the manual say very little).

Thank you to clarify this ;)

Nowhk wrote:Yeah, but it is not Modulation Envelope (which has no sense imo). It is modulation depth :) (as labeled on the info).
The manual is fine, you're just being unnecessarily pedantic about the wording. The manual says:
In the velocity tab you can set the velocity response for a number of parameters of the sound. You can set:

Volume
Modulation envelope
Filter cutoff
It's quite clear you can use velocity response to control 3 things; the level of the volume, the level of the modulation envelope or the level of the filter cutoff. There's no need to write "level" or "depth" after each list item, what else would you be controlling? :shrug:

I think it is just worth to know that on Drumatic velocity is linked to both Volume/Pitch/Cutoff modulation. That's all... now I know, thanks to cron.

Return to “Effects”