How to build a set and performing live with FL STUDIO 11?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, :!:
Actually i have a little problem with performing live.

I have two techiniques to play live, but both of them are crap. First ist just playing from basic fl studio macro,but then I have to load a new project after every song(nobody like to wait to next song, specially in live set/act). Second method ist playing wave stems nad mixing them live + performing some drums , effects and more, but then my Fl studio is glitching and cpu load raises to 100 %.

I looking for some good method to perform live with my own songs with different tempo without load a new project after every song.

My laptop conf:
Intel core i 5
4 GB ram
win 7

My hardware to play live:
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
MPD 32

Screens of crap methods:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7500172/method1.jpg <-first
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/750 ... ndmeth.jpg <-second

This is exactly my set of problems with using FLS to perform live.

Although my computer can handle things without glitching in terms of computing power for each track, I'd never be able to rack up a whole bunch of them within the same project.

I've resigned to the fact that I can't do things live without feeling like I'm cheating, and as my stuff tends to grow organically it would seem to be pointless to do wav stem mixing. Might as well be a DJ!

Hosts on PC and all the variegated problems that VSTs introduce just don't seem to be reliable enough for my needs right now.

I guess keeping things as simple as possible is the answer if you can, but that doesn't really work for me.

If you ever figure something out, I'd be interested to hear it!
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

I feel better with fact, that other people have same problems with fl studio. I feel like cheater, when i just mixing stems :(

I've known people who have done that, and enjoyed sets by people who have - but sometimes it fits ok with what they make. You can get quite creative with techno/house for example with a set of stems, and keep it interesting.

My stuff is heavily dependent on chains of fx that need to be tweaked with live - happy accidents are some of my favourite bits! I'd lose out on that if I did mostly stem-mixing.

The main problem is changing track though, as there are always glitches and loading time when doing it. It would annoy me to hear that and put up with loads of setup time between tracks if I went to see someone who does the kind of stuff I make.

Plus, I use a whacking great desktop beast and don't own a laptop! I've been to see sets by people who use macs and don't seem to have too many problems on stage. Perhaps that's the answer, although that's not ideal for people who are already heavily invested in the PC platform like me (and I'm guessing, you!)
A. The higher the fewer.

Second method with stems propably will be ok, but i dont know why fl studio is glitching. Maybe some wrong setup in options?

You could try making your buffer bigger, or running at a lower sampling rate if you're 48k or above.

You can probably get away with 44k for live stuff (CD quality). Increasing the buffer means everything will lag behind your actions a bit. Some people are better than others at dealing with that. I can play keys quite happily at higher buffers (although competent key-players in my experience hate it!), but for filter tweaking and stuff I prefer to keep it as low as poss. Worth playing with those settings to find a useable medium.

You might find that your computer just isn't up to the task - perhaps get it looked at by a pro, to check for memory problems and such - ESD (electro-static discharge) on the memory can cause slowdown and bottlenecking problems and isn't always obvious from software-based diagnostics.

Sounds obvious, but try not being connected to the internet and stop all unnecessary services and programs running in the background.
Antivirus software can also hog resources at the worst times. If you can switch all that off while you're working then that might make some small difference.
A. The higher the fewer.

Ok, thanks a lot for advices. :) Its usefull.

Same issue here. I've resigned myself to just having a short gap in between tracks when playing live while I reload. Gives the audience a chance to applaud, but it's kind of jarring in a club setting.

Sometimes I'll have a second audio input hooked up to an MP3 player with a drone or something to tie everything together.

As for runtime performance, I've been considering installing a second "clean" instance of Windows on my laptop, with nothing extra installed and as many services as possible turned off, and rebooting into that install for live performance.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”