What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Beware the Quoth

21171 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:43 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

aciddose wrote:I've met quite a few people who swear by regular doses of yogurt for example "or everything goes all out of whack", but that doesn't work so well if the lactose is an issue.

in yoghurt, lactase should already have digested a significant amount of the milk's lactose. that which remains is tolerated better than an equivalent amount of non-yoghurt sourced lactose.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Beware the Quoth

21171 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:48 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Dunbar wrote:
aciddose wrote:Hink: May very well have something to do with the type of bacteria in the gut...

Absolutely.

I ruined my stomach flora with over ten years of binge drinking; my digestive system was a mess. This might sound ridiculous, but, I cured myself by chance thanks to a friend leaving an innocuous looking cheese in my fridge. By the time I got around to trying it the "thing" was VERY ripe; apparently it smelt like something that had died, returned as a zombie, then died again. I'm not really a cheese fan, I ate it out of sheer bravado, and fortunately (but not for my friends), I don't have a sense of smell. Overnight, my stomach issues improved drastically, I kept eating the cheese and haven't had any real problems since.

To cut a long story very short, the colony of bacteria that balances the digestive system (I'd managed to destroy with booze) was restored by a sentient camembert.

This reminds me of the notion that the appendix is designed as a backup source of bacteria designed to 'kickstart' the digestive system in the case of a failure in the gut's ecosystem. Its also the rationale for fecal transplants.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
KVRian

1064 posts since 15 Oct, 2008

Postby Aroused by JarJar; Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:08 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Doesn't the subject matter "fecal transplants" belong in the "Production Techniques" forum?
addled muppet weed

34207 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:37 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

whyterabbyt wrote:
robojam wrote:
osiris wrote:I don't know. Have you ever eaten a British candy bar?

Especially in Scotland where it's probably been deep fried...

Yup. In fact all the decent sweetshops have a mini fryer by the door for self-service.

mmmm deep fried kinder egg...
KVRAF

7876 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:00 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Coke switched to a 50% mixture in 1984, and 100% in 1985.
KVRAF

8244 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:22 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Sorry, mixture of what? Coke & washing powder? :lol:

Now seriously, here's what your diabetes (type II) correllates with:

Really, for the chemical factory in your body it doesn't matter weather those carbo-hydrates are glucose, fructose, or sucrose. It's all burnt up and excess is stored as fat.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
KVRAF

8951 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:44 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Actually there is a non-linear relationship between blood glucose, blood insulin and the end products of conversion. By increasing the glucose level for sustained periods the "background" insulin level will also increase. This can lead to the development of insulin resistance.

Ideally your insulin level is at a very low "background" steady state and spikes in response to transient increases in blood glucose. (After a meal, etc...)

The shapes are mostly exponential, in fact it all ends up looking quite a lot like ADSR envelopes. Insulin acts as a sort of balance control between the use of glucose by the brain and organs vs. muscle tissue. Too little and the muscles will need to burn themselves away in a self-destructive process. Too much and your brain will starve to death.

The body responds to an increase in glucose from digestion after a meal, but does not "predict" it. Therefore the spikes are only smoothed off, not eliminated. Imagine it like a limiter or compressor applied to a drum track, without look-ahead you can't eliminate those high frequency spikes.

By consuming foods which are rapidly digested and result in large, abrupt increases in glucose concentration you reduce the body's ability to moderate with insulin.

Through the development of insulin resistance due to exposure to sustained increased levels your steady-state blood glucose concentration is now at an increased level - you are a type-2 diabetic.

Your blood PH is shifted, blood vessels contract, joints swell up, you suffer organ and nerve damage.

Insulin also influences the rate at which fat is used to store energy versus other uses, in combination with a large array of hormones. Low insulin levels will trigger the release of protein into the blood stream which is then used in place of glucose. "Burning fat".

Weight gain and diet alone do not cause diabetes. The cause is a sustained increase in blood glucose concentrations and the development of insulin resistance. It just happens that weight-gain is something that also happens at the same time, for the same reasons.

There are a lot of variations though and "diabetes" is just like "sugar", it is a useful generalization but applies to a wide range of disorders.
KVRAF

3668 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

robojam wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:Next up a friend shared this with me on FB which has some pretty interesting information about 10 american foods that are banned in other countries. Canada according to the list only has 3 of the 10 foods banned which is somewhat worrisome. You can find that list

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/11944-banned-foods.html

Look at the name of the author though: "Dr Mercola".

That moron has spent years spewing misinformation and bad science to make a fortune out of selling his 'dietary supplements'. Like so many of these scheisters, they have a product to sell, and do it by taking advantage of people's propensity to worry when someone tells them they're eating poison.

Personally I'd avoid reading anything this piece of shit writes, as it's all aimed at making himself more money by dishonest means.

I'm sure that if you look into it he's twisted the truth somewhere, as that's his MO with everything he puts in print.

I agree that diet determines how healthy you are, but I'm not going to start buying this asshole's snake oil because he says I need it.

Oh wow I did'nt notice that until now :o

Yah Mercola is a quack as far as I am concerned. I've read more than my fair share of stuff about him and his nonsense practice. He is no different than other "experts" in the field who have their own little product agenda that they market to suckers.

I should take that link down and really go over who the authors are in the future before sharing.

btw I just found this by googling Dr Mercola...
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

Personally I post this health stuff with no agenda of my own, I simply want to get the opinions of smarter and older people than me and KVR seems like a good place. I trust the opinions of a few people on here because i've been following their posts and most of it checks out IMO. I do try to approach most of the articles I read with a critical mind but still it's always good to get the opinions of others.

Cheers guys

Oh and about the gut flora issues, I have had problems with that myself and looked up quite a ton about it. Yes in the worst case scenario they do "fecal transplants" which is pretty gross but that is like WORST case scenario. You almost have to be dying because you can't s*** properly.

Oh and regarding the fecal transplant make sure you don't do what this person asked.. * I know most of you would'nt but i thought this was pretty funny in a demented way* :hihi:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 159AAAPOEs
Last edited by V0RT3X on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVRAF

19782 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:17 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Aroused by JarJar wrote:Doesn't the subject matter "fecal transplants" belong in the "Production Techniques" forum?

Or the samples forum?
KVRAF

8848 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:28 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

V0RT3X wrote:btw I just found this by googling Dr Mercola...
That's a lot of nonsense, too. What has Dr. Mercola's mansion to do with credibility? Moby has a big luxurious mansion near LA, too, but I still appreciate (most of) his opinions...

Other doctors who represent school medicine have also big mansions, that doesn't make them automatically bad doctors.

And nobody cares if Jeff Bezos has a huge mansion and if he's a quack...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmr
KVRAF

2757 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

BertKoor wrote:Really, for the chemical factory in your body it doesn't matter weather those carbo-hydrates are glucose, fructose, or sucrose. It's all burnt up and excess is stored as fat.

Or alcohol, for that matter.

Or simply eating too much.

Or a drastic change in youth habits (more sedentary lives, with less exercise - subtitution of sports in open air by console and computer games at home, etc.).

There are many factors that can contribute to obesity and diabetes, if this diabetes is connected with the former.
Fernando (FMR)
KVRAF

8848 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:38 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

fmr wrote:There are many factors that can contribute to obesity and diabetes, if this diabetes is connected with the former.
There doesn't have to be necessarily a direct connection between obesity and diabetes, it's just that fat people tend to eat the wrong things and tend to have an unhealthy lifestyle.
KVRAF

19782 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:41 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Tricky-Loops wrote:
That's a lot of nonsense, too. What has Dr. Mercola's mansion to do with credibility? Moby has a big luxurious mansion near LA, too, but I still appreciate (most of) his opinions...

Other doctors who represent school medicine have also big mansions, that doesn't make them automatically bad doctors.

I think you're missing the point - no one is saying that he is a bad doctor because he has a large mansion, just that his website that offers 'advice' points people in the direction of the shit that he sells. Despite his claims that the funds from sale go to the upkeep of the website, it's doubtful that his website eats all of that up.

Note that he is very deliberate with his language:
Mercola.com does NOT accept any third-party advertising or sponsorship, and I am in no way tied into any pharmaceutical company or any other corporate "interest" whatsoever.

Well no shit Sherlock - you don't need to - you're misleading people that your competitors products are harmful and selling your own in place of them.

The guy is a well known quack, and like all of them he makes money from doing it.
fmr
KVRAF

2757 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:53 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Tricky-Loops wrote:
fmr wrote:There are many factors that can contribute to obesity and diabetes, if this diabetes is connected with the former.
There doesn't have to be necessarily a direct connection between obesity and diabetes, it's just that fat people tend to eat the wrong things and tend to have an unhealthy lifestyle.

Diabetes and obesity are not the same thing, of course.

It happens that the graphic I answered to relates the ingestion of carbo-hydrates (without specifying what kind and origin, which is misinforming) with obesity, and was an answer to another graphic that just indicates progression of diabetes type II. This kind of diabetes can be related with obesity, but there can be other causes too.
Fernando (FMR)
KVRAF

3668 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:58 am Re: Could the predicted increase in major illnesses be because of the food we eat?

Tricky-Loops wrote:

And nobody cares if Jeff Bezos has a huge mansion and if he's a quack...

It was'nt the mansion in the link i was trying to highlight. It was more about the misleading claims with his product that he sells.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic