VST's that don't waste your money

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

beatmangler443 wrote:1. Halionsonic 2- I can't find any reviews on youtube or anything. If anyone has it can you please tell me how you like. I have hypersonic 2.
It's very good. IMO, the sounds are less wild than Hypersonic 2 but more usable. If I could only use a single synth for an entire song, I'd say that Halion Sonic 2 gets me closer to sounding like my idea of a finished product than anything else, even above Hypersonic 2 and Omnisphere.
2. Steinberg Absolute Instrument Bundle-Any good?
Very good and a bargain for what it provides. I'd certainly recommend paying the little bit extra for this over just getting Halion Sonic 2 on its own.
2. Stylus RMX
What I said about Halion Sonic 2 sounding like a finished product, I'd say even moreso about the system of Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian together. With that said, being a Maschine user myself, I don't use it much these days.
3. Komplete 10-when you do guys think this will come out?
I'm guessing after summer. You being a Maschine user, I say this is a must-have.
4. Sylenth 1- Emailed him twice and no response. Does he not update it anymore? I like his work.
He doesn't update it anymore. You can get similar sounds with Harmor and some Tone 2 synths. Or just buy a Virus TI and be done with it.

IMO for R&B/Pop with some rap Sampletank 3 would be the best (when out). Good alternative: Kontakt 5. Otherwise Logic X (included instruments: not vst) has everything you need.

RnB is quite varied, some is rather acoustic and old-skool, some is utterly electronic and synth-based. So it might help to know if you are looking for samples or good sounding synths. Are you willing to program sounds youself or do you need presets?

RnB is often very bass oriented, so something like Monark might make sense if you need that kind of quality. But there are cheaper alternatives as well...

There are also dedicated solutions for black music, I guess Magix has one if I remember correctly.
Found it:
http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker-spe ... s/hip-hop/

sfz+ and a tr909 soundfont....werd?
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Since everyone is just throwing things at you

AAS Bundle
NI Komplete

Oatmeal, MiniMogueVA and Synth1 are still my go-to choices.

arkmabat wrote:Synth1, Firebird+, Dune LE, TyrellN6, Zebralette, and TripleCheese don't waste any money :)

Take the money that you save on these freebees and go bar hopping.

Must admit, I've never felt anything I've bought has been a waste of money.

Anything over, say, £50 (which as a hobbyist is plenty for me!) would be well and thouroughly tested to see if it meets my needs.

I have bought some little cheaper things from xoxos, de la mancha and other smaller devs blindly in the past, but never been disappointed with the amount of money exchanged. Even when I don't use them often or at all any more, I still felt I got what I paid for.

Luckily I've never had too many problems with anything bought, and when I have it's been sorted quickly. Can't ask for more than than in the software world really.

I, like others have posted, would recommend spending some time with some free stuff, as you might be suprised at the quality of some. It'll only cost you some time, and if you love making music that shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

beatmangler443 wrote:3. Komplete 10-when you do guys think this will come out?
Did you actually ''spend'' and squeeze the WHOLE Komplete 9?
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

HALion 5 + Maschine 2 would probably cover 95% of your sound needs. Another one you could check out is MOTU Mach Five 3 but it is not cheap @ around $495.00
:borg:

Komplete will be waste because you surely won't use all of them.

arkmabat wrote:Firebird+
Does the installer for Firebird still install spyware/malware that searches your directories with the potential to destroy data?

If you are looking for a self-contained software workstation, then I would recommend Halion 5. It includes Halion Sonic 2.

If you are already a Cubase 6.5 or higher license owner, you can first upgrade to the Absolute VST Collection for $249 and then upgrade that to Halion 5 for another $99. In other words, if you can get the absolute VST collection + Halion 5 for the full price of Halion 5. There is no upgrade path from Cubase directly to Halion 5 though.

Just an FYI, Halion 5 has a very well-developed semi-modular VA engine and a powerful granular synthesis engine built in. There is also a drum step sequencer tool included, too. The upgrade path gets you Padshop Pro which is a wonderful granular synthesis tool, but the Halion granular engine provides more features.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Just don't give your VST your credit card when she goes shopping.

:party:

tooneba wrote:Komplete will be waste because you surely won't use all of them.
I have to agree with you as far as Komplete Ultimate, but not as much with Komplete Standard. I do find much of what I got in the Ultimate upgrade to be not worth the price for my needs. Of course, to each their own as MMV.

The thing is, with Komplete Standard, if you think you can use three VIs from it, you might as well buy Komplete which gives you the six VI's for the same price.

As time goes on with it, I find I'm using three or four right now and don't dismiss the other ones. The only reason I'm not using Battery more is becasue I haven't taken the time to really dig into it and set it up, but I love its sound, and in fact, it was one of the reasons I upgraded.
There's not much I use in Reaktor yet, considering how much it has to offer, but between the two factory ensembles I use the most out of it and the three or four sets I experiment with. It seems worth the price of getting it in the bundle.
Kontakt has been getting better as I add third party sets to it and stop trying to use the supplied libraries, which I find almost attrocious. And even though it's considered dated by many, Absynth has been a low CPU use solution to add to the mix often. So for the price of just those four, Komplete Standard is the only logical way to buy them.

On another note, The AAS bundle, which you can pick up for less than three bills through a CW Account is well worth it.

Return to “Instruments”