the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A friend of mine sings in a choir.
At the weelend I made some vocal and cello tracks with him.
I wanted to make an experiment with his voice: Is it possible to make a choir with one solo voice?
Here is the result: The one man choir starts on 1:54:
https://soundcloud.com/musikus/russian-nights

I would be very happy about your feedback.

Bump for your feedback. :-)

Not really. Actually, I hear 'one voice', then some ensemble effect around. Effect is not bad in se, but a real choir, where different voices having slightly delayed attacks etc etc but also, probably more essential different voices with different timbral characteristics, not really. Cool track btw, made me think of a kind of Morricone meeting Mussorgski for certain parts. Cute.

I dont know of any trick to make a single voice sounding like an entire choir, except the usual ensemble/chorus etc units. I think that the more articulations, dentals, words, phonemes the single voice has, the more difficult it will be to make it sound like a choir. Might be easier with the traditional ah, oh, hmmm etc. ( I know it probably doesnt help that much, but well maybe someone else will have better solutions ... )
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Hi Lotuzia,
many thnaks for your feedback.
I made now a new version. There are 4 voice tracks.
One with the original voice in the middle.
A male choir with shifted formants on the right. A "female choir" with transposition of one octave and formant shift. And a male choir with some voice duplications.
I know that it cannot be perfect. But I hope that it sounds now a little bit better.
https://soundcloud.com/musikus/russian-nights
What do you mean?
Last edited by Gucky on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I cannot hear a choir, just a single voice with some reverb and harmonies.

Nevertheless, I like the track, remembers me a bit of the early Vangelis...

I can hear some high vox but it does mostly seem to follow the low.

Some definite shades of Vangelis there, I agree...reminded me of parts of his 1492 soundtrack.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

nup
Last edited by woggle on Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice sounding track. The pads are great but I can't really hear a 'choir' as well. Try doing what Greg suggests.
It sounds great anyway... :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Not bad at all, but as the other say, do multiple take where the singer used his voice differently and then mix it.

Hi to all.
many thanks for your help. :-)
In one of my next songs I will try to use your tipps. :-)

Hi woggle, I like your song very much.
I wish I would know a girl that can sing so nice. :-)

Return to “Music Cafe”