Looking for a ring modulation effect

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm looking for easy to use and good sounding ring modulation effect with low CPU consumption (not SynthEdit). I've been using Xhip Ringmod, but it sometimes crashes my DAW.

Thanks
yzcoruhT

You could try MRingModulator by Meldaproduction, it's in the "personal-use-free" bundle... :love:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... gModulator

BTW, did you find someone from TeamDNR? :?:

Thanks, I'll try it.

No, I didn't. Someone from TeamDNR found me. :hihi:
yzcoruhT

I picked up Melda's multiband ringmod the other day, really seemed like the best ringmod I've heard. Ringmod really benefits from the added subtlety and nuance that multiband processing brings. Ringmod.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

I should just update the effects and keep it all "secret" since I think the newer code, although in most cases identical, is more stable. Actually I have modified a few of the GUIs and added side-chain to the limiter/compressor/gate. Probably are due for a release.

Last time I posted for beta-testing I was reminded I still need to add several other features like tempo/host sync to the LFOs :)

I definitely fixed some issues with various parts.

http://xhip.net/alpha/

Can you try the current "alpha" (unreleased) version and see if that crashes? If so it should be possible to fix if you're willing to try work with me with a debug version.

It is impossible for me to fix bugs I don't know about or can't reproduce myself without help from those who experience those bugs.

https://soundcloud.com/xhip/ring-modurder
https://soundcloud.com/xhip/arr

I swear I improved the anti-aliasing or something for the ringmod. Sounds way better now.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I've tested for an hour using both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the ringmod, and I wasn't able to make fl-studio or the plugin crash.

I tried all sorts of stuff, automation, placing the plugin in different locations and so on.

If there is a specific scenario in which you can reproduce a crash I'd love to know about it.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

@ aciddose: Thank you for link, but I don't have much time to test it until weekend. I'm using 32-bit version. I had problems when tried to I created automation clip and play it or when I tried to change plugin for anothe one during playing.
yzcoruhT

I'll see if I can test that more, the tests I've done already it didn't seem to crash in those cases. I'll see if I can focus on switching the plugins and moving automation stuff around. FL-studio's wrapper can do some funny things sometimes so it may turn out to be something you'd normally expect not to happen.

In the past I had trouble because the wrapper was calling the editor from multiple threads... so the same identical code was running on multiple threads at the same time. I had to add a check for that which seemed to work but who knows if something else happens sometimes which I missed.

MDA has a true Ring-mod lots of plugins do AM modulation instead of true ring-modulation. if u have logic check out Ringshifter
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Another interesting one is Ring-O by WOK... :love:

The MDA RingMod is the easiest, only 2 controls, but sounds quite good...

realmarco wrote:MDA has a true Ring-mod lots of plugins do AM modulation instead of true ring-modulation. if u have logic check out Ringshifter
AM = signal * (sin(phase) * 0.5 + 0.5)

ringmod = signal * sin(phase)

Which is more simple? :P

Mine has a "depth" control,

xhip ringmod = signal * lerp(1.0, saturate(sin(phase), timbre), depth)

You'll get AM at 50%, and ringmod at 100% with a smooth blend between.

Most simple effect ever. The key part is the fact you do oversampling to eliminate aliasing. Ringmod with a sine requires 2x oversample, as the highest harmonic will be sum (1 + 1 = 2.)

With the timbre control you need much better resampling.

My plugin is 10x more CPU efficient than the "polyphase" allpass filters available on music dsp, which is a reasonable approximation of most other filters you'll find. This is key as the most expensive part of the effect is by far the anti-aliasing filter, and the most important is going to be how much aliasing is allowed to leak through.

The effect itself couldn't possibly be any more generic.

The difference is actually that you have two things: the original signal and the sum+difference frequencies.

AM is a combination of both.

Ringmod contains only sum+difference.

So therefore you can take ringmod and blend from [original] to [original + sum+difference] to [sum+difference] to get all three.

Alternatively as I explained above you can adjust the modulation depth to get the same smooth transition, only the signals fade along different curves.

It's a multiplication!

realmarco wrote:MDA has a true Ring-mod
Hmmm, really? germanium or silicone diodes? What kind of transformers?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Effects”