Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cape Different - where inferences are drawn but the walls are solid enough.

Originally from December 2010, this took 12 hours to record. The January 2014 edit/remix/master took 9 hours. The remix was relatively straightforward, consisting of some percussion processing, some extra reverb, and that was about it. When I first recorded this one, I didn't like it, and promptly forgot about it. I rediscovered it on my new computer about 4 months ago, and found that the intervening 34 months had changed my feelings towards it.

This track was inspired by some of those strange places that I've visited on day trips, places where strangeness and unease rule the day. Places I wanted to leave before dusk.

EDIT:20220202 - mp3 link removed

in a haze of 320Kbps induced doubt:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/cape-different

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7beta

TAL Noisemaker
Cubix
Algo StringSynth
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Rez v2.0
Oatmeal
AM KickLab XXL
Camelspace
Valhalla Shimmer
IK CSR Plate Reverb
IK CSR Hall Reverb
SDRR
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 15

EDIT:20220202 - Remixed in 2021 - All minor updates - I tweaked some reverbs, improved the EQ, panning and levelling. I replaced FerricTDS with Satin on the master bus and mastered in T-Racks5, ready for album release in 2021/2022.

EDIT:20220204 - Remastered in 2022 - I increased the LUFS by 0.5dB and slightly reduced the peak amplitude.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/cape ... ks5-master

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5

TAL Noisemaker
Cubix
Algo StringSynth
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Rez v2.0
Oatmeal
AM KickLab XXL
Camelspace
BlueCat Gain3 Stereo
Valhalla Shimmer
IK CSR Plate Reverb
IK CSR Room Reverb
IK CSR Hall Reverb
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 13
Last edited by seismic1 on Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Great start. Gives the impression that something is going to happen. I think I have been to a place like this. Intriguing but a bit on edge, like you don't want to overstay your time there. Enjoyable track that certainly lives up to what you were after... :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Ooooh this was nice.
Love those strings. And that bubbly acidy 101 type lead.

I'm glad you revisited and finished the piece :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Allomerus wrote:Great start. Gives the impression that something is going to happen. I think I have been to a place like this. Intriguing but a bit on edge, like you don't want to overstay your time there. Enjoyable track that certainly lives up to what you were after... :)
Thanks for the listen and comments, John. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I've been to a few places like that, but I'm keeping schtum :wink:

Great electro music ... long intro grows the ambience nicely.. I liked sounds and arrangement.. well done

I like this part of town. Hints of intrigue but no serious danger. I think I'll spend the afternoon. Maybe get a bite to eat. :)

Some great synth sounds all around. I'm not getting any sense of digital sameiness on this one. The sounds seem more varied for whatever reason.

It constantly builds. As usual, you saved the tastiest bits for the end. We're really cruising from 4:34 onwards. Very cool synth lines and the drums kick it up a notch. :tu:

The mix is excellent. (Maybe the hats are a little hot or maybe my HF allergies are acting up again. :) )

Mushy Mushy wrote:Ooooh this was nice.
Love those strings. And that bubbly acidy 101 type lead.

I'm glad you revisited and finished the piece :D
Thanks very much for checking this out, Mushy. Glad you liked it :)

In truth, the revisitation was straightforward. Just cleaned up the mix and added some FX. That acid lead comes from Ugo's Rez v2, if I'm not mistaken.

Great sounds. Nice slow build up. A nice relaxed vibe to the piece but still plenty of energy and drive. Really liked the lead lines. I really enjoyed it.

seismic1 wrote:
Allomerus wrote:Great start. Gives the impression that something is going to happen. I think I have been to a place like this. Intriguing but a bit on edge, like you don't want to overstay your time there. Enjoyable track that certainly lives up to what you were after... :)
Thanks for the listen and comments, John. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I've been to a few places like that, but I'm keeping schtum :wink:
Don't blame you either! ;)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Great blend of different synths. Theres a lot going on, but it doesn't
sound overcrowded.
On a personal taste level I would have preferred the drums a little
more upfront and punchy, but that's all.

Well done (as always)

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

the build up is very good. starting with the nice little tinkles, building, building.... then that feedbackish lead weaves its way in... building to a great finale. a most enjoyable listen :phones: :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

markkuja wrote:Great electro music ... long intro grows the ambience nicely.. I liked sounds and arrangement.. well done
Thanks very much, markkuja. Glad you liked it :tu:

Nice Work kemosabe !
You are the DUDE...... :)

Frantz wrote:I like this part of town. Hints of intrigue but no serious danger. I think I'll spend the afternoon. Maybe get a bite to eat. :)
But you can't be sure what they're preparing in the back. It may say Saltimbocca on the menu......
Frantz wrote: Some great synth sounds all around. I'm not getting any sense of digital sameiness on this one. The sounds seem more varied for whatever reason.
That's probably down to the synths used, although I've mixed up the reverbs on this track, and I've got some Camelspace action going on too.
Frantz wrote: It constantly builds. As usual, you saved the tastiest bits for the end. We're really cruising from 4:34 onwards. Very cool synth lines and the drums kick it up a notch. :tu:

The mix is excellent. (Maybe the hats are a little hot or maybe my HF allergies are acting up again. :) )
I had the hats louder originally, then I toned them down, then I put them back up, then I cut them again. Most of the mixing/mastering decisions were made via the HiFi on here.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)

the allure here was how the percussion and seq moved but theres an ambience of pads and swaying lead to offset the mood. opposites attrack

Return to “Music Cafe”