DP8 Windows Useless Here!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

flugel45 wrote:Keep us posted, Orbit-50. There's very little user reaction about DP8 on Windows here, so it would be nice to hear what you find out.

This what's also freaking me out. I feel like like I'm the only one that bought DP8 for windows. Not much out there on it.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

machinesworking wrote:Oh I forgot to mention, it wasn't the M-Audio driver per say, but the Logitech mouse driver, that was incompatible with the M-Audio MIDI driver. It was one of those bugs that took me forever to find and made me realize not to fully trust Logitech drivers, and I should just get a MOTU MIDI interface.
That was like my first experience with DP8. My M-Audio controller wouldn't show up in DP8 so I got rid of it and bought a new A-800 Roland controller and it worked. The bad part is that the M-Audio worked with everything else with no problem. I guess it's what you're saying. Gotta find that stupid thing that's causing the problem by taking everything apart. I just never had to do this for any other software.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

^^^^ I had to do it with Logic 7. Cubase never worked for me, too many issues. Logic was rock solid until 7. then I spent months trying to track down the problems, got it relatively stable, and an update fixed the rest.
Of course in the mean time I got hooked on Live and the whole experience made me realize that an earlier bug I had with DP 2.7 back in the day wasn't a deal killer. So I moved back to DP when they ported to OSX. DP has been solid since 7 for me, I skipped 6. Logic on the other hand has had stable and unstable versions.

Like I've said though, this is probably a strait VST or driver incompatibility. I always start with VSTs because who has multiple MIDI or audio cards laying around?

Cool. Thanks again! I got Push coming through UPS tomorrow so it looks like I'll stick with Live right now and enjoy that purchase. I'll stretch this troubleshooting thing out over time instead of doing my normal "all or nothing even if it takes me 6 weeks to fix this" routine. I've been testing the VST's and it's really weird which ones work and which ones don't. One thing is for sure, they all run erratic and much higher on the CPU in DP8 than Live, or Cubase. Some will actually crash DP8 quickly. As for the unusually high CPU usage I have a feeling it might just be that DP8 doesn't like my Yamaha/Steinberg audio drivers. I tried the generic ASIO driver and it got just slightly better. I just don't have the luxury of having 4 or 5 different audio interfaces to try out to see if this is the case. I'll keep plugging at it.

.-.

Orbit-50 wrote:Cool. Thanks again! I got Push coming through UPS tomorrow so it looks like I'll stick with Live right now and enjoy that purchase. I'll stretch this troubleshooting thing out over time instead of doing my normal "all or nothing even if it takes me 6 weeks to fix this" routine. I've been testing the VST's and it's really weird which ones work and which ones don't. One thing is for sure, they all run erratic and much higher on the CPU in DP8 than Live, or Cubase. Some will actually crash DP8 quickly. As for the unusually high CPU usage I have a feeling it might just be that DP8 doesn't like my Yamaha/Steinberg audio drivers. I tried the generic ASIO driver and it got just slightly better. I just don't have the luxury of having 4 or 5 different audio interfaces to try out to see if this is the case. I'll keep plugging at it.

.-.
You really do want to remove all your VSTs as a start. "Testing" just isn't the same. With Live Battery 2 had an issue that caused it to be unstable simply by being installed as a plug in, not instantiated even? This is a rare sort of bug, but it does happen, and from what I recall I heard about it first on Windows so…

Also this flat out eliminates VSTs as the culprit for CPU hoggishness, any other way and you don't really know. When testing in general it's best to just go for it and definitely best to document your tests. So for instance remove half your plug ins, screen shoot the folder so you know which ones are gone, then do the next batch of half document etc. It's not that hard and once you start testing you will find the resolve to figure out what's an issue. IMO it's very very likely a VST. If you suspect your audio card the sure fire test for that is to find some music store that's willing to loan you a MOTU audio card as a 100% compatible test. You know for certain that MOTU has tested their own drivers and hardware, but there's always the possibility that an update to a third party driver isn't 100% compatible with DP.. In that sense it's cool that MOTU make a card, if Live has a problem with a Focusrite or other card it's a long struggle to find the problem in the first place.
I would not recommend putting it off though. Then you're just another person who bought software, ran into some problems you didn't solve or figure out where they were coming from, who posted negative results online.

It's official. It's DP8 not my setup. Just everything from VST animation being sluggish, to high CPU use, to half my VST's not working, but when I go into Live 9 and Cubase 7 not one problem with anything. Repeat. Not one problem in any other DAW I have installed. Even FL studio runs perfect on my system with low CPU usage with every single plugin. None of these DAW's crash or with any of my plugins. So what does this suggest? That DP8 for Windows is broken. It seems as if DP8 has a serious problem with 3rd party VST's. Not hearing much about people using this successfully with a slew of VSTi on Windows either. This was definitely one of the worst investments I ever made! It seems years away from being fluent on Windows. I fold! I don't have the time to be a beta tester for this crap. I'll just take the massive loss of money and move on. I stand firm on saying that DP8 for Windows is garbage! Thanks for all your help anyway guys.

.-.

dsan@mail.com wrote:Hey Orbit-50,
Sorry to hear your having head aches with DP8. I feel your pain, and I hope you get it sorted. Don't jump off the deep end on us.

I notice you have Live 9 in your sig. I'm having the same sort of issues with it that you are having with DP8. I'm surprised to read "it works perfectly" on your system. It sure isn't here! Only thing I'm not getting, from your list, is "weird splash screens for no reason". I just get "CRASH!!!" :hihi:

There are so many different possibilites of why something doesn't work. So, I plan to do some investigations, testing, etc. to try to pin down the crashes. I think it is likely Kontakt not getting along with Live but not sure yet.

Not Kontakt itself but some Sonokinetic librairies. It seems since I bought these I have had the problems with Live.

Perhaps you can consider the same. Creat a new project and work toward getting a repeatable crash. It's a start and maybe will give you some ideas what not to do.

Good luck! Hope it gets sorted for you soon. :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
And I have none :? I do have some weird latency issues (but it's rare)

Orbit-50 wrote:It's official. It's DP8 not my setup. Just everything from VST animation being sluggish, to high CPU use, to half my VST's not working, but when I go into Live 9 and Cubase 7 not one problem with anything. Repeat. Not one problem in any other DAW I have installed. Even FL studio runs perfect on my system with low CPU usage with every single plugin. None of these DAW's crash or with any of my plugins. So what does this suggest? That DP8 for Windows is broken. It seems as if DP8 has a serious problem with 3rd party VST's. Not hearing much about people using this successfully with a slew of VSTi on Windows either. This was definitely one of the worst investments I ever made! It seems years away from being fluent on Windows. I fold! I don't have the time to be a beta tester for this crap. I'll just take the massive loss of money and move on. I stand firm on saying that DP8 for Windows is garbage! Thanks for all your help anyway guys.

.-.
I understand this. I feel that way about sonar.

Orbit-50 wrote:It's official. It's DP8 not my setup. Just everything from VST animation being sluggish, to high CPU use, to half my VST's not working, but when I go into Live 9 and Cubase 7 not one problem with anything. Repeat. Not one problem in any other DAW I have installed. Even FL studio runs perfect on my system with low CPU usage with every single plugin. None of these DAW's crash or with any of my plugins. So what does this suggest? That DP8 for Windows is broken. It seems as if DP8 has a serious problem with 3rd party VST's. Not hearing much about people using this successfully with a slew of VSTi on Windows either. This was definitely one of the worst investments I ever made! It seems years away from being fluent on Windows. I fold! I don't have the time to be a beta tester for this crap. I'll just take the massive loss of money and move on. I stand firm on saying that DP8 for Windows is garbage! Thanks for all your help anyway guys.

.-.
As I stated, there can be bugs with a certain VSTi, even when it isn't implemented, there can be a bug with an update to an audio card driver, there can be a bug in a driver for your mouse even that causes problems, and all those examples are from Ableton Live, not DP. Not the first version of Live, but Live 7 or so.
If you know for a fact that some people have a working set up, then you know the problem can be solved. It's that simple. I'm sorry, but you simply can't "stand firm" on calling something garbage if you're not willing to do the basic things to solve the problem.
See my posts above about how Live was the only DAW on my system that completely screwed up Beat Clock timing because of a Logitech driver. Is it fair to blame Live for this? I don't think so, but you've stated flatly that you're not willing to attempt anymore to find out what is causing the problem, and you're blaming DP, because it's the only DAW that's affected, even after I've told you about an incident where Live was affected by a bug in a mouse driver while Logic and DP were not..... and again, without doing to work to rule out such things... bleh!

I'm sorry but it's official, I've gone from sympathetic and wanting to help to thinking you're unintentionally trolling MOTU.

Why would I want to troll MOTU? That doesn't make sense now does it? I'm pissed off because I paid a lot of money for a software that doesn't work. No matter how much effort I put in to this software over the last 2 months I get the same result. Shitty performance. Not one ounce of progress. Same result no matter what I do. As I've stated every other DAW I fired up works perfectly. This tells me that the problem lies within DP8 not within the hidden problem in my configuration that is somehow my fault. It's not. I know how this works. I'm calling a spade a spade. One day they might fix it. It might be that they just released it not too long ago. Who the hell knows. What I do know is that it doesn't work on my "normal" system when in fact it should work. I don't hate MOTU. I hate myself for being a dope and buying it with the expectation that it would work at least half way decent on my system that I have no problems whatsoever with any other DAW's. So sorry if you feel that way machinesworking, I really appreciate the help but I can't fix this software so I give up on trying. I just hope one day they fix whatever it is causing this mess. Thanks again.

.-.

hibidy wrote:I understand this. I feel that way about sonar.
Same thing happened with Sonar? Did it ever pan out?

.-.

Orbit-50 wrote:
hibidy wrote:I understand this. I feel that way about sonar.
Same thing happened with Sonar? Did it ever pan out?

.-.
No, I moved on. I'm still really bitter about it but I realized that what I have works really well, so I need to move on.

Very frustrating that you are having issues. If you are not having those issues with other hosts then it does indeed show that something on your system and DP8 don't like each other.

Yeah, and it kills me because I love DP but I can't use it and probably will never be able to. So now it just sits. The only good thing is that it makes me appreciate how well everything else works. At least I have that so... 8)

.-.

I was able to sell my copy way back when I was on mac. I actually liked DP back then, but hated using a mac :hihi:

Hey Orbit,

Let me know if your interested in selling it then. I might be persuaded.....

Wayne
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch me soar.......

Wash

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”