What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Mental Illness

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian

1285 posts since 3 Jan, 2005

Postby fedexnman; Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:24 pm Re: Mental Illness

dopamine ...
KVRAF

2596 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:24 pm Re: Mental Illness

Yeah, all those people who claim to suffer from "mental illnesses" are fakers. They just want the happy pills. They should just kill themselves.

After all, we all know that nothing can ever go wrong with your brain.
KVRAF

3674 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:25 pm Re: Mental Illness

This space is empty.
KVRAF

4245 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:30 pm Re: Mental Illness

I found life a lot more bearable when I stopped trying to be happy and learned to cultivate contentment.

Of course, I have a roof over my head and a warm bed, so that makes things slightly easier than a lot of people have it. Not sure how well I'd fare being content and homeless, for example.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
KVRian

823 posts since 8 Dec, 2003, from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:52 pm Re: Mental Illness

In my experience depression was all about internal dialogue. You feel shit, so you talk yourself into thinking everything is shit to feel okay about feeling shit. But it just makes you feel shit, so you talk yourself into thinking everything is shit to feel okay about feeling shit....Until it's a comfort in a sense that your getting an expected internal response from yourself.

Some attention seeking was involved, in the "Pity me! Don't pity me!" kinda way.

It was more of a mental condition than an illness and it's a cycle that can be broken if you're not suffering from real mental illness that requires more than just kicking yourself or being kicked up the arse. Mentally speaking.

I think most people who think they've got an illness are suffering more from that - not to detract from the fact that they are suffering. Pain is pain. But the answer is not always medication - that can lead to a bunch of problems of its own.

To be fair, mine was self-inflicted - too much MDMA in my yoot. Seratonin depletion. Although this condition is not restricted to that situation, and I'd carried on that kinda cyclical thinking way after any chemical inbalance was knocking around. Time and being kicked up the arse was a healer. If the people around me had been too sympathetic and indulged me, I don't think they would've been helping.

There are people with genuine problems that they've got no control over though, so I try not to take the piss.

Contentment is a good thing to aim for. Living in the clouds forever more probably isn't much better for your sanity than talking yourself into a black hole. That way you've got some wobble-room. If you feel the need to be super-happy all the time it can send you whirling back down when anything upsets that state - and life will at times. It's inevitable really.
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
KVRAF

13555 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:55 pm Re: Mental Illness

Hink wrote:
vurt wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
vurt wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:So what's so bad in seeking attention?

well if they have depression nothing of course.
but pretending to have depression to gain attention is different.
Maybe they have a real depression because they don't get enough attention? There are loads of lonesome people out there...

loneliness can be a symptom of depression
depression isnt a symptom of loneliness though.

some people with depression bring loneliness on themselves by isolating themselves, typically these are not seeking attention

Here. Here.

I always tended to withdraw from ppl whenever I got depressed.
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
KVRAF

5549 posts since 8 Oct, 2007, from an inharmonious society

Postby mcnoone; Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:05 pm Re: Mental Illness

trimph1 wrote:I always tended to withdraw from ppl whenever I got depressed.

Same here. Later after my depression subsided. I found I rather liked the habit of withdrawing from people.
...or was it the internet?
KVRian

823 posts since 8 Dec, 2003, from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:08 pm Re: Mental Illness

I did the opposite - I'd throw myself into social situations and hate it, which would just feed my cyclical thinking, and I'd do all over again.

A few good friends who didn't take any of my shit was the better part of my antidote.
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
KVRAF

1898 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm Re: Mental Illness

i think there's a lot more basic normal humanity to it than just calling things "mental illness". i think the "chemical imbalance" hypothesis is bunk, though some people do seem to benefit from certain drugs. The more people i meet, the more i think that anyone with "behavioral problems" or "mental illness" is reacting like a regular human being to abuse, stress, injury, etc.

There are clearly physiological issues of the brain, as demonstrated by birth defect, genetic disorder, and injury, but i think those are more rare. At least, not as common as the pill popping society we've become here in the USA makes it look. No one is allowed to have human emotions or human reactions. We're not allowed to emote, feel sad, feel lonely, get angry, etc.

Society doesn't want to own up to its mistakes and toxicity, so it's easier to brand people as mentally ill when they find society to be toxic to them. Then there's all the "you don't need anyone" BS, the "bootstraps and personal accountability" BS, the "you're too sensitive" BS, and the desire for pharmaceutical corporations to make money... We've gone from stigmatizing emotional problems to making people feel "normal" for needing pills to "fix" problems (and those pills don't fix problems; they suppress symptoms).

blah blah blah... there's no way i couldn't comment on this thread... :-O
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
KVRAF

4412 posts since 16 Feb, 2005

Postby camsr; Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:03 pm Re: Mental Illness

Why do people get all psycho about psychology? :D
Rad Grandad

24571 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:50 pm Re: Mental Illness

Jace-BeOS wrote:i think there's a lot more basic normal humanity to it than just calling things "mental illness". i think the "chemical imbalance" hypothesis is bunk, though some people do seem to benefit from certain drugs. The more people i meet, the more i think that anyone with "behavioral problems" or "mental illness" is reacting like a regular human being to abuse, stress, injury, etc.

There are clearly physiological issues of the brain, as demonstrated by birth defect, genetic disorder, and injury, but i think those are more rare. At least, not as common as the pill popping society we've become here in the USA makes it look. No one is allowed to have human emotions or human reactions. We're not allowed to emote, feel sad, feel lonely, get angry, etc.

Society doesn't want to own up to its mistakes and toxicity, so it's easier to brand people as mentally ill when they find society to be toxic to them. Then there's all the "you don't need anyone" BS, the "bootstraps and personal accountability" BS, the "you're too sensitive" BS, and the desire for pharmaceutical corporations to make money... We've gone from stigmatizing emotional problems to making people feel "normal" for needing pills to "fix" problems (and those pills don't fix problems; they suppress symptoms).

blah blah blah... there's no way i couldn't comment on this thread... :-O

now person on earth can tell me there isn't a serious physiological aspect to PTSD...:shrug:
As long as you hate, there will be people to hate
-George Harrison
KVRAF

8954 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 pm Re: Mental Illness

I think the majority of people haven't seen cases of PTSD and the like first hand, but then they feel comfortable to carry an opinion about it somehow.

I don't think anything more really needs to be said on that topic. That pretty well sums it up.

The more people i meet, the more i think that anyone with "behavioral problems" or "mental illness" is reacting like a regular human being to abuse, stress, injury, etc.

Sure they are. How could they be doing anything else? Reacting like martians?

The issue is that the way the brain/body deals with these situations makes the person incapable of surviving and dealing with things day-to-day in their life.

That is the definition of mental illness. Unable to function effectively in society.

We can't both expect people to function (eliminate welfare, etc) and then at the same time discount the issues they have which prevent them from functioning as expected.

What should we do? Shoot them? That is what is revealed about a person who has these sorts of opinions. Either they weren't thinking this through, or they honestly would prefer we just get rid of anyone who doesn't live up to their standards.

I think the question you're asking yourself is: Is society broken?

You're saying these people aren't "mentally ill", society is mentally ill. Only it doesn't work that way. Society is made up of people, it doesn't exist on its own. If society is mentally ill, people are mentally ill.

There are most definitely people out there who are not capable of dealing with the society we've given them. I think the reaction to the increasing number of people who can't cope by claiming "oh but they can cope, they just don't know it" sounds an awful lot like denial.

As people get pushed more and more, less and less of them are going to be able to cope. It is only natural.

Are we going to put our heads in the sand and pretend this isn't happening, or are we going to start looking for solutions to the problem? Yes, medications only offer treatment for symptoms. In a lot of cases there is no cure. You can't cure a person when it comes to their ability to deal with society. They either can or can not. Either we treat the symptoms or the source of the problem - change society to make it possible for them to cope.

You said people are expected to pop pills to cope because they are expected to, but who expects what?

Who expects people to pop pills? More importantly who expects them to cope with a system that is clearly incompatible with a large number of people?

Those very same people do. Those people are society. It is a complex organism all its own and it evolves by itself. The direction it is headed maybe doesn't look so great, but what can be done? It needs to reach a tipping point where people actually do something, whatever it is they do.

The very root of the problem is what you said, this is all just humans being humans. Reacting like humans to human issues. That is what drives all of this and will continue to do so.

(So the cure would be to take the humanity out of it. Good luck! Now we can understand what those super villains who want to destroy earth are all motivated by.)

I wish I could shorten all the needless ranting but I don't know how to say it all with fewer words. The point is we have much bigger problems than all of that and getting into a discussion about real vs. fake mentally ill and so on is just a laugh. Hah. Good one.

Meanwhile I would suggest that people popping tons of adderall or ritalin or tylenol for that matter all deserve the same respect as people with "more serious" or "real" issues like PTSD, mania, depression, schizophrenia and so on. They deserve the same respect you'd give to any human being.

The bigger issue we have is the fact we're not giving all those humans that kind of respect, apparently.

http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm
KVRAF

3990 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 pm Re: Mental Illness

I find it interesting that whenever the subject of mental illness comes up, there is always a faction who are quick to point out that medication is over-prescribed, some people are just faking it to get attention, lots of depression isn't real because people are being affected by their circumstances, and blah blah blah. Of course all of these things are true to a certain extent, but why immediately start dismissing what is a common and serious set of health issues, just because you have anecdotal evidence that the label doesn't accurately apply to some people who use it?

I've dealt with depression all my life, pretty much from the time I was old enough to walk and talk. At certain times it has been more debilitating than others, but for the most part I've learned to deal with it. Along with that comes fairly significant social anxiety and also a more generalized form of anxiety which runs on one side of my family. I've tried therapy and various meds, but never found any of that to really help in my particular case. And on top of all that is OCD related to Tourette's syndrome, which also runs in my family.

If I have one pet peeve about people falsely claiming mental illness, its everyone who casually throws around the term "OCD", as if it was a fashion statement or a descriptive term for normal behavior. As in, for example, "I'm really OCD about naming all my tracks in Ableton Live." I just want to smack people who say that.

Edit- I meant to add, also, that science and medicine are still in the very early stages of understanding how the brain works. Mental illness is a physiological condition, just like any other health problems. Because what exactly is there in your head, other than the brain? There isn't an intangible "you" apart from the physical cells of your brain. Eventually, a hundred or so years from now, scientists will have hopefully deciphered much more of the inner workings of the brain, and devised much more precise and effective treatments based on that understanding. For now, we have to make do with the best tools at our disposal, which usually comes down to medication and therapy. But there is still much room for improvement.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/4" audio patchcord
KVRAF

2389 posts since 21 Jul, 2004

Postby macmurphy; Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:46 pm Re: Mental Illness

well said, deastman :tu:

i don't get involved in these sort of discussions because i'm over-sensitive about the subject.
i'm bi-polar and i need, yes need to gobble 20 pills a day to stay
relatively stable. i've tried coming off the meds in the past and all attempts have been disastrous including a couple of suicide attempts (one of which admittedly was very half-hearted) and lots of cutting along with all the other extremes of highs and lows.
the most frightening things i've experienced are mixed episodes, where the extreme highs and lows happen simultaneously. i wouldn't have believed it possible had i not gone through it myself.

neil.
KVRAF

18356 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 pm Re: Mental Illness

deastman wrote:I find it interesting that whenever the subject of mental illness comes up, there is always a faction who are quick to point out that medication is over-prescribed, some people are just faking it to get attention, lots of depression isn't real because people are being affected by their circumstances, and blah blah blah. Of course all of these things are true to a certain extent, but why immediately start dismissing what is a common and serious set of health issues, just because you have anecdotal evidence that the label doesn't accurately apply to some people who use it?

I guess that isnt aimed at me, as i clearly didnt base my comments on 'anecdotal evidence'.

...nor have i said 'ALL' ppl fall into the same catagory.

i do wish ppl would read posts before giving a knee jerk reply...
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic