Looking for Stereo DC generator utility plugin

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not quite to the point where I can do it myself yet. But I feel like it would be a pretty simple signal generator.

Does anyone know of an audio plugin that can output a DC signal? I'm looking to generate values between 1 and -1 for testing and metering in real time. Specifically, I want to feed a DC signal to a goniometer and do some visual confirmation and measuring.

It's a bit overkill, but here's a Poly-Ana patch that makes a DC level. It's probably not quite perfectly flat (I've made an almost zero pulse width waveform, then low pass filtered it so only the major DC component remains). It's probably a wee bit below 1.0 as well, hard to dial that in exactly.

Hit the hold button (just to the right of the virtual keyboard) and then a key around the middle of the keyboard. You'll get your DC level. To change between positive and negative use OSC 2's INV PHASE button. (Note that the low pass filtering will make this transition smooth, not instantaneous.)

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/ ... evel01.zip

All you're going to see on your goniometer is a single dot at the top center or bottom center.

jwb367 wrote:I'm not quite to the point where I can do it myself yet. But I feel like it would be a pretty simple signal generator.

Does anyone know of an audio plugin that can output a DC signal? I'm looking to generate values between 1 and -1 for testing and metering in real time. Specifically, I want to feed a DC signal to a goniometer and do some visual confirmation and measuring.
You could use FuncShaper from http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html. Just give it a constant expression as the wave-shaper and it'll happily output DC as long as you don't enable the output filtering.

I use Sytrus and modify a square wave with the "half" wavetable function. Happily outputs DC at 0dB

Word,

Thanks for the ideas. I could generate some test signals in Matlab but it would just be nice to have something to vary as needed. This would be especially helpful for stereo testing
AdmiralQuality wrote: All you're going to see on your goniometer is a single dot at the top center or bottom center.
Touché, Admiral. But that would only happen when if the output generated from Left and Right channels are the same. Actually, it would vary along the line x=y depending on the amplitude you chose for them to share. The Goniometer readout should always be a solid dot somewhere as long as the the DC remains static. But if DC on the left was 0.5 and DC on the right was -0.5, then the dot would be on the line x = -y (or, reversed polarity). The more I think about it as a utility, I can see how its pretty lame. But I could watch how the relative phase of my signal is affected by a plugin, then I could move the dot to anywhere in the lissajous figure and test for discontinuity. I just think it might be helpful to see a DC response to a filter in real time.

You want a plugin that generates a static DC offset? That is really easy to create. What platform etc?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”