Clipping in Average Performance Load

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi ,

I use cubase 7.5 as my DAW .
I have editted audio ( Vox ) and had splitted the audio by by bar to sync in proper tempo .

Whenever I play the audio back , I can see that there is a clipping in the erage Performance Load and " click" sound occurs at a few places .

Why does this happen ?
Is there a way to reduce the performance load ?

bump

bump

If you cut up audio at random points, you get clicks. If you do it carefully and position it at a zero-crossing point, then you won't hear any clicks. Some audio editors are smart and do a very fast fade-in (or out) to get rid of such clicks.

If you speed up the tempo, then two pieces can overlap and the sum of these can be above the maximum, and thus produce clipping.

Hard to say what really happened without having a very close look at the point where you hear a click. Zoom in until you can see individual samples. Don't know weather Cubase can do that, but the better audio editors can.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Cubase will always split at zero crossings if you set it up that way.

Of course, there is always some minor debate about how effective that really is for some stereo material where the zero crossings may not line up across the stereo pair. Given that, small auto-fades may work 'universally' better for splits.

As to ASIO meters, another area of random debate, what the various different CPU meters actually mean from one product to another. They certainly don't seem to all be doing the exact same thing so, generally speaking, I pretty much ignore them if the music is playing correctly, not dropping out or otherwise breaking up, mmv.

I don't hear a 'click' sound at the point where the cut is . the ' click ' sound occurs due to the peak in avergae performance load .

How do I reduce the average performance load . Is it because of more number of cuts in the event ?

vignesh.vijay wrote:I don't hear a 'click' sound at the point where the cut is . the ' click ' sound occurs due to the peak in avergae performance load .

How do I reduce the average performance load . Is it because of more number of cuts in the event ?
I do not know about 7.5, but that average performance load meter is tricky and deceptive on Cubase 7. It is an indicator of CPU usage, not a cause. Nonetheless, I have seen relation between the number of spikes in that meter and the occurence of non-reproducible audio/synth processing drop-outs. In Cubase 7.

Record a portion of one of your pieces with that 'click' offline. First of all, does that artifact record? Can you zoom in in an audio editor and see what it is?

If it's a vocal sample, did you do any DC offset correction? That can sometimes add artifacts. I have the dickens of a time between what Wavelab "corrects" and what Cubase reads.

Try creeping up your ASIO buffer numbers and sizes in small increments.

I dont hear the click sound when I export the audio file . I guess it has something to do with the CPU performance

To 'reduce the load' means to reduce what you are doing, simply put.
You can buffer the load more and accept more latency. And you can see about making your system perform better but I'm not going to do your searches or work there for you at the moment.

jancivil wrote:To 'reduce the load' means to reduce what you are doing, simply put.
You can buffer the load more and accept more latency. And you can see about making your system perform better but I'm not going to do your searches or work there for you at the moment.

My System configuration is :

i7 3rd gen processor
8 GB RAM
1 TB hard disk
Windows 7 64 bit
DAW used : Cubase 7.5 64 bit
Kontakt 64 bit

Would I need a better configuration than this ?

Have you tried this:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

System specs are more than fine.

What soundcard are you using? Are you drivers proprietary to your soundcard (preferred) or are you using ASIO4All or some other generic driver? What are your buffers/latency?That's a vital link.

My experience with Cubase 7.05 is that Cubase 7 requires much larger audio buffers than were required for earlier Cubase versions (about 7 times higher than Cubase 5.35) and I had to suffer larger latencies as a result. But these are just my experiences.

Jancivil is correct, you need to start doing your own research into these processes necessary to running a DAW. "How to optimize Windows 7 to run a DAW" would be a good search to start.

vignesh.vijay wrote:
jancivil wrote:To 'reduce the load' means to reduce what you are doing, simply put.

My System configuration is :

i7 3rd gen processor
8 GB RAM
1 TB hard disk
Windows 7 64 bit
DAW used : Cubase 7.5 64 bit
Kontakt 64 bit

Would I need a better configuration than this ?
I mean there are things to look at such as 'DPC latency check' or there could be crap in the system you could do without that are eating resources.
I can't be conclusive about the system specs without knowing your usage. EG: I run over 8 GB RAM frequently. I expect it's not a lack of power per se, however.

I can offer one thing based in what I see: are you trying to stream samples off the same [regular old, spinning 7200RPM] hard drive as your system? That would be a real bottleneck that you want to address ASAP.

Also there are ways to have Kontakt handle its work, balancing streaming ['DFD' setting] with a small adjustable buffer actually going to RAM, vs the setting 'sampler' which does not stream. Which is a kind of involved topic.

Zombie Queen wrote:Have you tried this:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

System specs are more than fine.
Please find my6 latency check here :

http://postimg.org/image/lo3he79bf/

Not sure if the ltency is low or high .

And I use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 as my soundcard

Again, if you are trying to make Kontakt's samples happen with good performance off of the same drive as your operating system, you're bottlenecked, with this streaming waiting in line behind a number of necessary processes; it is not high priority. Unless it's a SSD, which is a different matter, and which I don't know about, you really need to get the samples onto another dedicated drive which isn't busy with the operating system.

Power users of samples will dedicate a drive per library, in fact.

Do you have Cubase set for multicore support? Or Kontakt. With some people enabling both is a problem, some people have good succes with one, some the other. NI recommends in general to use the host's with it as a plugin.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”