The Moon Sleeps in the Middle of the Day

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My first finished song in a long time...last night I sent it to a few friends for their feedback...one was a dear sweet soul name Henry who lives in my building and has struggled with MS his whole life. He hadn't been feeling well so I thought it cheer him up that he was one of the first to hear it...his reply was music always helps...this is forever dedicated to Henry Lacostic

https://soundcloud.com/hink/the-moon-sl ... the-middle
Last edited by Hink on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Sorry to hear about your friend Hink. MS is a b@st@rd of a thing. :(

I dig the sabbathy vibes on the tune though
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

thanx but I was mistaken...MD not MS...I appreciate the words on the song...I think the mix has some work still, I posted it prematurely so any suggestions are welcome :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Not knowing what MD was, I've looked it up and learned a little. It sounds like a heartbreaking condition. I hope he had people in his life that made living with it that little bit easier.

As far as the song is concerned...erm...maybe the drums seem a bit drowned out at times - cymbals in parts. But that can be a good thing - I've got records from 70's rock bands where the drums are just the rhythmic glue and not for taking centre stage. The guitar is the daddy here! I like that way it doesn't let up, making an almost of wall-of-sound effect which I like in rock so I'm cautious about suggesting tinkering with that too much to let anything else through!
A. The higher the fewer.

+1 to that Sabbath reference from Birmingham :wink: especially the lick at 1:14. In places the cymbals are very quiet, in other parts they sound ok. Maybe that "wind" effect is swallowing up some frequencies as it modulates.

I actually got to see Sabbath back in '78 with Van Halen supporting. That was a memorable gig.

I was sorry to hear about Henry. My sincere condolences.

Sorry to hear about Henry.

Good tune with some nice guitar work. I think the mix could be better. Upper mid-range guitar frequencies dominate the mix. Everything else sounds too quiet.
Last edited by Frantz on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Awesome John, Bringing happiness to others is so important and if music is the tonic then bloody brilliant. Say hello from me and wish your friend well and keep getting your tracks out for him, Get him into studio Hink even/if that is do-able. Nothing beats putting a smile upon the face's of friends, family and loved one's.

Thanks for sharing and speak soon dude :tu:

Dean

:hug:
Regards, Mike

Thanx for the suggestions and kind wishes...I'm going to remix this tonite I hope...what I notice when I hear it on my home stereo is the strings that are very sublet were louder than I wanted, I'm still not satisfied with the guitar tone. The performance (good or bad) is really what I was going for, but Sabbath was far from my mind...that's not a bad thing and I do hear it.

The drums were different for me in this, it is jamstix but I really learned jamstix with this and spent hours getting the drum sound I wanted. I was trying to to lay off a lot of cymbals on purpose and just want those mellow fills on the toms. The drums were done a head of the beat and any other programming was done loosely intentionally (no quantizing), I wanted a more human feel for this song...I should add this song is one that I have been playing for a long time and finally decided to settle on a guitar part and call the guitar performance done...I did that a couple of months ago...I spent a lot of time after reworking the rest of the parts to compliment the guitar as best I could. I am going to try and bring the cymbals up some and see what happens.

I also want to thicken the guitar tone some, a little more eq (maybe hass effect) and maybe some delay or reverb. In this first mix the only fx for the guitar are the recorded returns from my hardware Yamaha MX-400 that I use to monitor through effects with when recording...I do not record the fx on the same track as the mics...so I did mix those returns in but I'm going to try it with some of samps fx. I'm also going to pull the ribbon mic out of the mix and add in a take with the SM 57 in a diferent position.

first mix always sux for me :oops:

What a nice thing to do. My best wishes to you and Henry :hug:

I agree with your own thoughts about the track, nevertheless I enjoyed it just
the same.
'cause it has that quality this genre needs. Some kind of realness.

Well done :clap:

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

thanx sbj...here is my second mix...I have a few issues when I hear it on my home system, I wish what I heard in the headphones came through better (why I wont mix with just headphones), the mix sounds good through my near fields but I wont say what my concerns are yet :) (I do think I am zoning in on just what I want)

https://soundcloud.com/hink/the-moon-sleeps-in-the

edit: forgot to trim the end again :dog:
Last edited by Hink on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I just replied to your PM before seeing this :dog:

Oh well, I'd better run to the meetings I have then I'll take a listen :)

This mix sounds better to me too.

Not sure about the minute of silence at the end though! :P <-- in after your edit!
A. The higher the fewer.

Listening to your second mix I think the Guitar is a little
bit to high(volume).
Maybe also cut the bass around 100hz so the bottom
end becomes clearer.

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Henry looks like a fun guy
The photo reminded me of a great movie called my left foot.
Lots of energy emiting from that picture!

Your song ..... ACE
Love it.

Mix: Good. Arangement: Splendid
The bleeding guitar: Just overwhelming

Return to “Music Cafe”