New T-RackS Master EQ 432 NOW AVAILABLE (full GUI pic inside)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS CS

hibidy wrote:I sent a support ticket, it happens with L/R also, the long story short is that the settings are not recalled properly independently. (you'll move the shelf on the "L" and the "R" one has moved even though you didn't intend it.

It's about 90% of the time. Sometime it works, which can fool ya!
Cheers! I think it`s should be a fairly simple fix once they are on to it.

Agreed wrote: As Dave put it in a bit of greatly appreciated private correspondence that he gave me permission to talk about nonetheless: "The Fairchild is a law unto itself." Hell yeah :love:
Sounds like we still need a full WikiLeaks style reveal on all this info! :wink:

Did some critical demoing between this 432, the UAD/Brainworx Millennia NSEQ-2 and UAD/Brainworx's brand new Dangerous BAX EQ. I tried all three in a stripped down mastering setup on a few different mixes and A/B/C'd them...largely to taste, though at times I matched some frequencies when possible.

In my opinion I thought the 432 and the Dangerous BAX sounded preferable to the material I was auditioning with. The Dangerous doesn't offer a lot of different freq cut/boost options but where you can adjust, it sounds quite nice and the words 'solid' or 'strong' come to mind as I listened to the results.

the 432 sounds really, really good. Hats off to IK! I think it is easily as flattering as the new Dangerous EQ, arguably more so. The 432 may have just a touch of grit or a slight 'analog-ish' edge to it but it sounds good and present to my ears, 'dimensional'. With the addition of two mid bands with selectable frequencies and band widths, the options are far more vast than the Dangerous.

As for the Millennia NSEQ-2?...well, it isn't my cup of tea. Aside from the elegant GUI, I think the high shelving was my favorite attribute. Even still, I preferred the results of the high shelving on the Dangerous, and the high bell boosts on the 432. I am surprised with this, more or less, I thought they would all sound 'good' in their own way. I have to wonder how accurately the Millennia is modeled. I spent time researching all of these hardware units trying to get a better understanding on the pedigree and even most common applications for each. This included time reading forum posts over at GS ~ many mastering engineers love this $4k mastering EQ (Nseq-2). I read continuously about something called a Forssel Mod that many insist improves the Nseq-2 EQ (even more) but that is obviously not coded on this plug-in.

I kept thinking my naivety was in the way (as in 'user error') as the disparity of the results which I was achieving between the Millennia and the other two seemed too much...Since I don't have this well regarded hardware (Nseq-2) I don't know if this is a knock on Millennia or Brainworx or yours truly;-) ...because Brainworx has some other wonderful plug-in models out there and I know the company that Millennia keeps, I am happy to take the fall but after spending a fair amount of time demoing and A/B/Cing, does it say something that I was able to improve the mixes fairly quickly (to my ears) with relative ease using the 432 and Dangerous BAX but not so much with the Millennia?

So yeah, the Master EQ 432 is a wonderful plug-in!! My favorite IK plug to date! I think it may also be the hungriest CPU native plug-in i've used as well; truly for mastering or maybe for a song with just a few tracks like a piano & vocal. Earlier I mentioned the 'elegant' Millennia GUI, it should be noted, simple as it is in its asthetic, I think this is also the best IK GUI to date - good on IK that it sounds even better than it looks.
Last edited by sadkin on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lolz, I liked in that video with reaper where the guy is surprised because it takes 4% :hihi:

It's higher on my 4770. but the 4770 is a beast so unless for some strange reason you want to run like 50 of them, then you'll be fine :D

hibidy wrote:I sent a support ticket, it happens with L/R also, the long story short is that the settings are not recalled properly independently. (you'll move the shelf on the "L" and the "R" one has moved even though you didn't intend it.

It's about 90% of the time. Sometime it works, which can fool ya!
Yes, they are aware and able to verify under certain OSes and hosts so it should be fixed as soon as possible.

Yay team!

OK - I had to pick this one up. With the detented mastering controls it's pretty fast to focus in on a sound and better-ize it. With a couple of jam points ($9) I got it for $90 (to purchase 120 credits) on the introductory price which isn't so bad.

The sound is mighty fine and I'm going to have a lot of fun comparing the sound with Equilibrium and Nebula Songtec (the 250ex version) among others. I'm thinking I'll use the T-Rex 432 to quickly get a sound, then use Vst analyzer (or noise/spectrum analyzer) to match settings on other eqs, hopefully teach me to listen and get closer matches by ear someday. I can already see in Vst analyzer the IK curves seem a little more mathy (curves are more smooth/ symmetric) than the Nebula 250ex, for obvious reasons since one is sampled. I know we're supposed to listen but I couldn't resist. The 432 curves seem to hold their shape down in the sub bass so I like that also.

All in all, Custom Shop has more manners now and I got a great sounding and fast EQ. A fine evening!!! :love:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Yes, they are aware and able to verify under certain OSes and hosts so it should be fixed as soon as possible.
:tu:

kylen wrote:
AudioGuy720 wrote:And an option to turn the T-Rex logo off under preferences, to shut the whiners up.
Or change it to a choo-choo train...I don't care what anyone else wants :lol:
They should just change it to a big hairy c0ck… It'd probably draw less criticism :lol:

sidrat wrote:
kylen wrote:
AudioGuy720 wrote:And an option to turn the T-Rex logo off under preferences, to shut the whiners up.
Or change it to a choo-choo train...I don't care what anyone else wants :lol:
They should just change it to a big hairy c0ck… It'd probably draw less criticism :lol:

Unless you were hinting that you'd like to send your own submission, in which case I can route you to the correct (meaning another) department. :)

Seriously, though, we get a few complaints (but not many) about the logo. It doesn't seem to affect the use of the plugin - the sound especially - for most users. However, the complaints - and in this case suggestion - will be relayed.

The logo was one of the first things my wife noticed about the plugin when I loaded up an instance of the Echoplex model (which is awesome, by the way) when I was showing her a project I am working on - she asked if it was the Jurassic Park logo, I explained, no, it's T-RackS, like ... a T-Rex... get it? T-RackS, T-Rex?

Amazingly there was no protracted discussion or comparisons to a preference for a picture of genitals or goatse or whatever, you wouldn't believe how startled I was when she just immediately accepted that and moved on without any further comment. It's almost like she didn't care and was more interested in the sound and what I was doing in the project that I was showing her... Makes you think... ;)

Wow! That is what you call `calm in a crisis` :hihi:

EDIT:
Actually... nevermind.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

kylen wrote: All in all, Custom Shop has more manners now and I got a great sounding and fast EQ. A fine evening!!! :love:
Glad you enjoy the T-RackS Master EQ 432 and the new Custom Shop manners. Thanks!

Peter - I'm still enjoying the 432 it is a very good sounding and helpful (workflow) EQ. I noticed last night that after I've set up the 3 bands and shelfs I can use bypass to hear the difference in changes I've made. I'm wondering if you guys might consider a bypass per band so I could better audition the individual changes I've made. I guess my brain isn't granular enough to be able to hear changes that are pretty close in frequency. I can hear the bass and high shelf changes easy enough but a high band and a high shelf change I need to roll the gain setting back to 0 and put it back. Just a minor workflow thing I guess... any interest in that?

Return to “Effects”