What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Best Drive Plugin

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Agreed
KVRian

1137 posts since 2 Mar, 2009, from Crossett, Arkansas, USA

Postby Agreed; Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:00 pm Re: Best Drive Plugin

Favorite one for that job now is Klanghelm SDRR. It used to be Decapitator. So that's pretty awesome, considering the price difference, if you haven't bought one yet. Second favorite, though it's more like a channel strip for individual tracks than a master bus tool, is PreAMPed by LVC Audio. It actually has full channel strip functionality per option selected in the plugin, so it's not exactly the same thing as SDRR, and It just got a couple of very good updates, too. I guess I include it here because the degree of saturation has been increased substantially with the latest patch for PreAMPed.

Tony at Klanghelm offers the free IVGI plugin which is still everything that SDRR offers behind the scenes, but mostly pre-configured with just a few controls user exposed; handy for getting a taste of what one of its four modes sounds like if you're evaluating, but also useful as a free saturation tool.

Matt at LVC recently came out with PhreePhuzz, which is a cool freebie just aimed at saturation. It has some very mild overlap with PreAMPed but not much at all, PreAMPed is much more like having a bunch of different channel strips with variable EQs, variable saturation, variable transformer models, and noise floor (though the latter is defeatable if you don't want it on) based on what hardware type (not exact models of anything, more models of different TYPES of channel strips - an ethic that Tony at Klanghelm shares, going for making new cool digital stuff that is inspired by nifty analog character, but not directly modeling particular devices).

PhreePhuzz is all about saturation. Maybe with the recent update that increases the range of saturation (and the control you have over it) in PreAMPed, however, it might be more relevant to what PreAMPed sounds like, in addition to being a good stand-alone.

Nick Crowe's Tube Driver is another very good freeware to consider. If you can run SM plugins, then Bootsie/VOS has done a ton of work on refining his saturation implementation over the years.

As far as more expensive commercial options go, I am very partial to T-Racks CS' recently updated highly driven character plugins' saturation, on a case by case basis. I think it was a pretty massive upgrade and it hasn't been talked about much! You can kinda pick and choose based on your needs with the CS, so if you like a particular kinda thing, demo it and see if you end up digging it.
V0RT3X
KVRAF

3974 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 pm Re: Best Drive Plugin

If you don't mind Ilok I've heard great things about what KUSH audio has to offer with their UBK-1
claudedefaren
KVRist

78 posts since 10 Mar, 2013

Postby claudedefaren; Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:06 am Re: Best Drive Plugin

Saturn here. Just threw it on vocals for a new tune i started. It's so good. Also seconding the crow tube driver.
djscorb
KVRist

327 posts since 3 May, 2007, from UK

Postby djscorb; Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:55 am Re: Best Drive Plugin

I use:

Voxengo Tube amp
Ableton Saturator
Sonnox Inflator
Wavearts Tube amp
u-he Satin
TB Reelbus
SDRR

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...
Synthetic Wav
KVRer

9 posts since 27 Feb, 2014, from France

Postby Synthetic Wav; Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:53 am Re: Best Drive Plugin

I like Soundtoys, wavearts tube saturator.
Last edited by Synthetic Wav on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com
xiphiuz
KVRist

68 posts since 10 Apr, 2002

Postby xiphiuz; Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:08 pm Re: Best Drive Plugin

xiphiuz wrote:Cytomic The Drop: http://www.cytomic.com/drop

Be sure to give it a testdrive. Its just amazing!

I need a list of the filters in the Drop. Does it model the Moog Ladder filter into high distortion?[/quote]

Well, can't say I've played with the moog yet, because its not in the available beta yet, but should be within a month or two.
But the current models (sallen and cascade) are amazing

Just listen:

https://soundcloud.com/cytomic/the-drop ... s-circuits

With pre/post gain and drive you probably won't ask for more :-)
Armadillosound
KVRian

699 posts since 28 Aug, 2013

Postby Armadillosound; Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:36 pm Re: Best Drive Plugin

Camelphat
Magneto II (Cubase 7)
Ohmicide

Cover drive,saturation and distortion for me :)
lacandon
KVRist

332 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Postby lacandon; Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 pm Re: Best Drive Plugin

Culture Vulture samples for Nebula and Cytomic The Drep drive is miles ahead from the uad moog !
djanthonyw
KVRAF

6669 posts since 20 Jul, 2004, from Boston

Postby djanthonyw; Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:18 pm Re: Best Drive Plugin

Satson, Satin, Tube Saturator
You are currently reading my signature.
morelia
KVRAF

3947 posts since 15 May, 2002, from Brisbane , Australia

Postby morelia; Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:25 pm Re: Best Drive Plugin

Not necessarily best, but my favorites.

Soundtoys Decapitator
FabFilter Saturn
Kush Audio UBK-1
Ohmforce Ohmicide
Klanghelm SDRR
My Music >>> °morelia ° Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 12gb, Windows 7 (64), Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
ariston
KVRAF

2831 posts since 28 Jun, 2009, from Wherever I lay my hat

Postby ariston; Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:25 pm Re: Best Drive Plugin

Studio devil preamp all the way. It's the most natural sounding I've tried so far. The wavearts saturator was also very good from what I remember with my demo sessions, just very heavy on cpu. And then there's Twintube by SPL, which is nice in that it offers you a good deal of control over the added harmonics. It made a huge jump quality-wise from the previous version.

And finally, thinking a bit out of the box here, Satin! For when you want that warm, fuzzy, cuddly tape saturation.
zeep
KVRian

1277 posts since 17 May, 2005

Postby zeep; Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:59 am Re: Best Drive Plugin

Ableton Saturator and Overdrive.
foosnark
KVRAF

2603 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:30 am Re: Best Drive Plugin

Maul, Ohmicide, Supercharger GT
Tp3
KVRAF

1555 posts since 7 Feb, 2007

Postby Tp3; Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:04 am Re: Best Drive Plugin

Klanghelm SDRR
Camel Crusher/Phat
Mault CM/SE
Voxengo Tube Amp
LVC PhreePhuzz/PreAMPed
SK Drive
Last edited by Tp3 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The whole notion of Analog vs Digital emulation has long gone haywire...
zerocrossing
KVRAF

7086 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:53 am Re: Best Drive Plugin

Another Saturn fan here. Also, check out Oligarc. As well as doing great modulation effects it's got a really cool overdrive.
Zerocrossing Media
http://www.zerocrossing.net
4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects