Steinberg USB dongle on a USB hub

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is anyone running something like this and if so, have you had any bad behaviour?

I need the USB hub for a power source.

Works like a charm here with £25 no brand Usb hub.

Cheers
A

Same here, no problems
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick-boxing.

Same here.
No problems ever.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hi,

I had it on a USB hub for sometime with no issues, but... as of a month ago, I got the eLicenser broken message, no license found ... blablabla, which drove me nuts :x

But.. I was lucky enough to think of moving it out of the hub, and plug it directly into my PC's USB2 port, restarted the PC, and tried booting Cubase 7. and it came back to life, no more issues.

I'm still unable to figure out what happened, since it used to work fine when it was plugged into the hub.

By the way it is a Belkin Hub, although all of my other USB locks (i.e iLok2, and other stuff) are connected to the hub, and all work fine. Only Steinberg's USB key (eLicenser) was having issues, and this only lately.

You might want to avoid Belkin Hubs, or get some recommendations from other users who have no issues.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Please excuse the possibly stupid question (as this is a new area for me)... Is everyone here talking about AC-powered USB hubs ?

flugel45 wrote:Please excuse the possibly stupid question (as this is a new area for me)... Is everyone here talking about AC-powered USB hubs ?
I am, yes.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

There are ALOT of bad USB hubs around.

Never had a problem with a good USB hub and the dongle.

Don't buy the cheapest shit.. or try before you buy. Dont need to have AC power but its to have anyways.

My system at home has three or four dongles on an unpowered USB hub daisy-chained off a powered USB hub. One of them used to be an eLicenser dongle, though not any more.
At work, I have an iLok running fine off an unpowered hub.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Some years ago I purchased a cheap unpowered Targus hub, 7 or 8 Euros, and I've got an eLicenser, an iLok, an USB keyboard and the connection between the UPS and my computer plugged into it without an issue.

My ten yr old Belkin powered hub is still working fine with the Steinberg dongle

Thank you all. Good info!

i have two running without probs.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I used to have mine plugged into a powered hub with no issues.
Currently have it plugged into my PC though.

I use it on a hub side by side with an iLok 2, no issues whatsoever.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”