64bit FL Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Groove Machine

If i have all my plugins in both 32 and 64 bit, will i gain something from using the 64 version of FL (RAM advantages aside)?
only RAM
for the rest it depends on your plugins.. A plugin could do well in 32bit & not 64bit, or vice versa, for random reasons

Will FL x64 be able to handle more samples in ram?
yes but.. still not hours-long samples, because it's one thing to have more RAM, things also have to be adapted to use longer lengths, etc. Like, the wav format, it's old & limited to 2GB. There are 2 extended versions of it, we still haven't decided which one to use. We'll probably go for Sony's W64 tweak, but not all classic WAV chunks are compatible.
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

chokehold wrote:
highkoo wrote:The confusion for me starts at-
What does a 64bit host running 32bit plugins have over a 32bit host running 32bit plugins?
What kind of benefit would any kind of user see there?
i.e. What boost does the host itself get out of having more ram?
i.e. Why bother running an x64 host and bridging if you use x32 plugins?
Did you really read my entire post?
I answered those questions.
Answered as in pointing out the disadvantages of bridging and that you do not need to have an x64 host if you use x86 plugins.
Well you danced around the answers, I will give you that. ;)
I certainly appreciate the explanations in your post, but you did not nail down answers to the unknowns. For me anyway. I think that having the answers already in mind, your post is quite thorough. Your last post was specific;
chokehold wrote: The host itself gets absolutely no boost from being x64.
That seems to basically be the answer, although maybe it does get extra sample loading from what gol is saying.

Ive just never seen it plainly stated that a user is *better off* ignoring an x64 host until they are using mostly x64 plugins.

With all the x64 hype, and bridge talk, and update talk, I think its significant.
Live just recently went x64 too right?

Im not using any plugins that I am aware would benefit from more ram access, and Im running a pretty much maxed out i7. I occasionally hit the ceiling on it with effects/synths, and I always figured that somehow moving it all to x64 would have to help somehow. Now Im wondering if Id get anything much out of it, and what kind of set up will give me more without me changing workflow.
I need to crack open Convolver more often, and probably revisit the ancient concept of bouncing... :hihi:
Anyway, thanks all. I think I understand where I am at with this now.
ImageImageImageImage

I don't think this has been mentioned, but FLS is also designed to run as a plug within other hosts. I'm personally looking forward to FLS x64 because I'll be able to run it in Cubase x64 without a bridge.

Also, development of FLS x64 has also meant that a number of the IL plugs are being developed for x64, and I'll be able to use them in Cubase x64 as well.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Also, development of FLS x64 has also meant that a number of the IL plugs are being developed for x64, and I'll be able to use them in Cubase x64 as well.
yes, 64bit for our VST's is more important than for FL right now
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

tony tony chopper wrote:
Does this include your plugins? I know the Maxx ones are 64bit beta, but would love to be running Harmor natively in Cubase64.

EDIT - nm, there's a 64bit beta on the IL forum. :D

fandango wrote:
tony tony chopper wrote:
Does this include your plugins? I know the Maxx ones are 64bit beta, but would love to be running Harmor natively in Cubase64.

For the record here is the state of play as of this post. In addition, where there is now a 32 Bit VST plugin AND it's on the 64 Bit native list there will also be a 64 Bit VST version.

Included 64 Bit Instruments:

- 3x Osc
- Autogun
- BeepMap
- BooBass (new)
- Dashboard
- FPC
- Fruit Kick
- Fruity Dance
- Fruity DrumSynth Live (new)
- Fruity DX10
- Fruity Envelope Controller
- Fruity Granulizer
- Fruity Keyboard Controller
- Fruity Slicer
- Fruity Wrapper
- Harmless
- Harmor
- MIDI Out
- Ogun
- Patcher
- SimSynth Live (new)
- Slicex
- Sytrus
- Wave Traveller (new)

Included 64 Bit Effects:

- Edison
- EQUO
- Fruity Big Clock
- Fruity Convolver
- Fruity dB Meter
- Fruity Delay 2
- Fruity Delay Bank
- Fruity Fast Dist
- Fruity Flangus
- Fruity Formula Controller
- Fruity HTML NoteBook
- Fruity Limiter
- Fruity Love Philter
- Fruity Multiband Compressor (new)
- Fruity NoteBook
- Fruity PanOMatic
- Fruity Parametric EQ
- Fruity Parametric EQ 2
- Fruity Peak Controller
- Fruity Reeverb 2
- Fruity Scratcher (new)
- Fruity Send
- Fruity Soft Clipper
- Fruity Spectroman
- Fruity Stereo Enhancer
- Fruity Stereo Shaper
- Fruity Vocoder
- Fruity WaveShaper
- Fruity Wrapper
- Fruity X-Y Controller
- Gross Beat
- Maximus
- Newtone (new)
- Patcher
- Soundgoodizer
- VFX Color Mapper
- Vocodex
- Wave Candy
- ZGameEditor Visualizer

Missing Instruments + Effects (see below to see what's planned)

- Autogun
- BassDrum
- Buzz Effect Adapter
- Buzz Generator Adapter
- DirectWave
- Drumaxx
- DrumPad
- Effector
- FL Slayer
- Fruity LSD
- Fruity Soundfont Player
- Fruity Video Player
- GMS
- Hardcore
- Pitcher
- Plucked!
- PoiZone
- Sakura
- Sawer
- Synthmaker/Flowstone
- Toxic Biohazard
- Wasp
- Wasp XT

Will be available in 64 Bit:

- Autogun
- BassDrum
- DirectWave
- Drumaxx
- DrumPad
- Effector
- Flowstone
- Fruity Video Player
- GMS
- Hardcore
- Pitcher
- Plucked!
- PoiZone
- Sakura
- Sawer
- Toxic Biohazard

Won't be available in 64 Bit:

- Buzz adapters
- Wasp, Wasp XT, FL Slayer (compilation issues)
- Fruity LSD

Possibly:

Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Is there some chance that you release in the near future stable 64Bit versions of the plug-ins? I think I can still not use Harmor 64Bit (I read in the forum and it seems there are a lot of problems with access violations and stuff)

chokehold wrote: Edited for brevity....But if you work like me, with sometimes multiple Kontakt-instances containing 16 instruments between 30MB and 1.5GB each, maybe a Superior Drummer drumkit at 1.5GB along with it, and then some synths, samples and FX - you'll VERY soon reach the limit of 3 or 3.5 GB RAM which is the limit for 32-bit applications. Even if those samplers use Direct-From-Disk, because that still requires a partially RAM-preloaded amount of the samples to work fluently.

So if you're doing mainly "synth stuff" and maybe string together some sample loops, then you shouldn't have to worry about 64-bits. Just stay on 32-bit and be happy you can continue to use those laid-back 32-bit plugins. ;)

But if you're doing things like ethnic or orchestral stuff with EastWest, Kontakt, HALion, etc. then you should at least consider 64-bit because it MAY (!) make your life a lot easier. Or at least raise the limit of samples you can use.
Hallelujah Brother! Someone that understands me :D

Kidding aside though, I went the 64 bit route because of the ram issue. Working like you it didn't take long to crash my hosts with out of ram. But now I cannot use some of my most favorite plug-ins (IK - are you listening? :-o)

So my point is, there is no Utopia; for now anyway. Maybe someday :(

But I agree, IF you need to use more ram, 64 bit is the way to go. Otherwise, stay with 32 bit and be happy :)

Happy musiking!
dsan

So, when will FLStudio finally go 64bit for real? This beta is almost a year old if I am not mistaken...

highkoo wrote: Will FL x64 be able to handle more samples in ram?
That depends on sampling rate. I use Edison sometimes to load DJ sets when I want to do some tweaks. Some sets are too long, but if I diminished the sampling rate, they would fit. x64 would enable using the desired sampling rate AND loading the larger files. RAM is the limit in x64 land!

I guess what this means is that now only my 32 bit plugins will crash in FL.....

Image-Line wrote:
fandango wrote:
tony tony chopper wrote:

For the record here is the state of play as of this post. In addition, where there is now a 32 Bit VST plugin AND it's on the 64 Bit native list there will also be a 64 Bit VST version.

Included 64 Bit Instruments:

- 3x Osc
- Autogun
- BeepMap
- BooBass (new)
- Dashboard
- FPC
- Fruit Kick
- Fruity Dance
- Fruity DrumSynth Live (new)
- Fruity DX10
- Fruity Envelope Controller
- Fruity Granulizer
- Fruity Keyboard Controller
- Fruity Slicer
- Fruity Wrapper
- Harmless
- Harmor
- MIDI Out
- Ogun
- Patcher
- SimSynth Live (new)
- Slicex
- Sytrus
- Wave Traveller (new)

Included 64 Bit Effects:

- Edison
- EQUO
- Fruity Big Clock
- Fruity Convolver
- Fruity dB Meter
- Fruity Delay 2
- Fruity Delay Bank
- Fruity Fast Dist
- Fruity Flangus
- Fruity Formula Controller
- Fruity HTML NoteBook
- Fruity Limiter
- Fruity Love Philter
- Fruity Multiband Compressor (new)
- Fruity NoteBook
- Fruity PanOMatic
- Fruity Parametric EQ
- Fruity Parametric EQ 2
- Fruity Peak Controller
- Fruity Reeverb 2
- Fruity Scratcher (new)
- Fruity Send
- Fruity Soft Clipper
- Fruity Spectroman
- Fruity Stereo Enhancer
- Fruity Stereo Shaper
- Fruity Vocoder
- Fruity WaveShaper
- Fruity Wrapper
- Fruity X-Y Controller
- Gross Beat
- Maximus
- Newtone (new)
- Patcher
- Soundgoodizer
- VFX Color Mapper
- Vocodex
- Wave Candy
- ZGameEditor Visualizer

Missing Instruments + Effects (see below to see what's planned)

- Autogun
- BassDrum
- Buzz Effect Adapter
- Buzz Generator Adapter
- DirectWave
- Drumaxx
- DrumPad
- Effector
- FL Slayer
- Fruity LSD
- Fruity Video Player
- GMS
- Hardcore
- Pitcher
- Plucked!
- PoiZone
- Sakura
- Sawer
- Synthmaker/Flowstone
- Toxic Biohazard
- Wasp
- Wasp XT

Will be available in 64 Bit:

- Autogun
- BassDrum
- DirectWave
- Drumaxx
- DrumPad
- Effector
- Flowstone
- Fruity Video Player
- GMS
- Hardcore
- Pitcher
- Plucked!
- PoiZone
- Sakura
- Sawer
- Toxic Biohazard
It is good to see x64 versions of those plugs but I was hoping to to see Groove Machine in that list. Groove Machine Synth is in that list "GMS" but no x64 version for Groove Machine which GMS is derived from??? :scared: :?:

I feel like I keep learning and forgetting about 32 bit / 64 bit and what it's all about. Each time i think have 64 bit figured out (what it is, why it's better) then I don't actually remember later. I have heard about the RAM thing though.

Its the greatest trick the devil ever played...
ImageImageImageImage

So IS FLS x64 bit yet or not?

I went on the IL site for the first time in quite a while yesterday to see, and any reference to a native x64 version of FLS is conspicuously absent. The usual (and misleading, IMHO) compatibility language is still there, but nothing about an actual x64 version.

And in my download area, you can't tell without actually downloading the files which vsti's are x64.
I've been using Sytrus and a couple of others for a while, but the rest seems to be still in beta. And, I couldn't find any links to a currently active beta.

Am I missing something very obvious (wouldn't be the first time)?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”