What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

2764 posts since 13 Jan, 2005, from Deutschland

Postby murnau; Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:25 am did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

finally i stopped buying the stuff i bought immediately on release date from different developers.
simply, i noticed that nearly everytime i bought something a few month or half year later some kind of sale started with huge discounts.

it's not that i think they dont deserve the money they get or that i'm angry or something, of course not.
i just found that the way u-he for example deal with this is what i like best.

i just wonder how "many" other customers think the way i do and what developers can do to avoid this (intro price)?
“Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more” ― Nikola Tesla
KVRist

363 posts since 17 Nov, 2004, from Penrith, Australia

Postby jacqueslacouth; Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

I understand why some people feel this way towards developers who have large discount sales, but for me, I love a bargain! Sure I miss some and have paid full price for plugins, but courtesy of sales I have a much broader range of tools at my disposal. Neither has it deterred me from buying from non-sale developers (I have plenty) but I love a bargain and at the end of the day, those developers are simply stimulating a cash flow. Different business models, but who is to judge? If the tool does the job and I want it, I buy it (if I can afford it), the sale cycle just allows me to afford more than I otherwise could. I don't get angry if I buy a synth and it goes on sale the next week, that's life, I'm still well ahead because of sales….and I LOVE IT!!!!
The continued existence of country music is conclusive proof of NO GOD!!!!
KVRAF

2114 posts since 27 Dec, 2002, from London

Postby cron; Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:42 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

I also avoid buying things if I know they regularly go on sale. If it's a fairly cheap thing I might just go for it. I often see things people are trying to sell in the Market Place for more than the sale price. Say asking £50 for a plug that usually costs £70, but was on sale for £30 just a month or so back. It's no wonder they don't shift. When a developer sets a fair price and sticks to it, the plug-ins retain their value much better.

I really like the intro price and early adopter discount models though. The Mangle at £20 for what started as an unstable beta version has been one of the best purchases I've made recently. It's now a stable beta and getting better all the time. I also grabbed Plogue's Chipcrusher at a discounted early adopter price as soon as it became available. A week later it went up to the normal price and a demo was made available. A lot of people complained that they wanted to demo it before buying and it was unfair that they missed the discount as a result. That's the point guys! The developer offers a discount if you're willing to take a chance on version 1.0 of the product. The irony is that loads of improvements were made during that week (dry/wet slider, pitchable machine noise, improved latency handling etc) and to my mind the improved plug-in was actually a better value proposition at the increased price than version 1.0 was at the early adopter price.
KVRAF

18400 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:48 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

murnau wrote:finally i stopped buying the stuff i bought immediately on release date from different developers.
simply, i noticed that nearly everytime i bought something a few month or half year later some kind of sale started with huge discounts.

it's not that i think they dont deserve the money they get or that i'm angry or something, of course not.

i just wonder how "many" other customers think the way i do and what developers can do to avoid this (intro price)?

an intro price for say one month is a good idea....

i do wonder tho, devs that have a lot of sales (xmas/easter/aunt mauds birthday etc) if they actually sell much out of the sale period. If customers know you have frequent sales, why would they buy at full price...?

personally i dont care as i never buy anything :hihi:
KVRist

316 posts since 15 Dec, 2011, from Bucharest, Romania

Postby e@rs; Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:43 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

No, I've just started... I love sales!!! That's why I don't have any u-he product. Maybe I'll get Presswerk if it will have a nice, 'analogue' GUI and sound, but only if they have a very attractive intro price. So, yeah, it appears I hate full prices.
KVRAF

6588 posts since 22 Sep, 2008, from Windsor. UK

Postby tehlord; Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:14 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

I think a perfect example of this is Fxpansion.

I would never, ever buy a new product from them as they have a habit of putting it on sale just a few weeks after release.

I recently saw an entire fxpansion (except BFD) account for sale on KVR for about $400. That was for 7-8 really good plugins.

Madness
KVRAF

4533 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:36 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

Same for the IK Multimedia stuff.. I wonder how many will buy the new Sampletank at full price, knowing they have had so many crazy sales and groupbuys :neutral:
KVRian

1286 posts since 3 Jan, 2005

Postby fedexnman; Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:36 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

I buy from the smaller companies these days Sale or Not . Don't have any U-he yet . If Zebra 3 is a must have I may go there .
KVRAF

1680 posts since 10 Feb, 2008, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Nokenoku; Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:37 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

I like to get a "good deal", but I also like to be able to make a purchase whenever I want.
I purchased some stuff in discount-sales, but I also purchased some stuff without any deals.

Only thing I really don't like is ridiculous stuff like East West is doing.
They almost always have some kind of deal, and usually you save 50% or more.
So they should rather just reduce their prices.

Or Native Instruments ...
You can basically buy KOMPLETE and get a very good price/performance-value ... or you can buy anything seperately and feel you made a terrible purchase.
Last edited by Nokenoku on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVRAF

2783 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:52 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

murnau wrote:finally i stopped buying the stuff i bought immediately on release date from different developers.

I must admit that i don't get your point. Maybe you could elaborate on the reasons, why you would not buy from devs who have sales, i don't see any reasoning in your post. I think one big point you forget also is that you can't know when or if something goes on a sale. And another thing is that when there is a competing product which just came out, there might be a break in of sales for your product, so you might want to react to that by lowering your price, so you get some sales. Or other reasons, like seasonal break in of sales, or you just want more customers. Really, there are loads of reasons, and i think many customers will be more than happy not paying the full price. And those who "GOTTA HAVE GOTTA HAVE IT" on the first day, like the people standing in queue for the new iPhone, will be happy to pay the full price to be the "FIRST FIRST" to have it. Fair enough. :shrug:

I think the bottom line once again here is that business is not evil, but rather relates to the wishes of the customers. It's not possible in any other way.
KVRAF

1522 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:27 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

well, it's two fold. on one hand, cases in point - IK Multimedia, D16 Group or Plugin Alliance. i won't ever think of buying anything from them at full price, because i know that sooner or later, it'll go on sale. i'm pretty happy with my current arsenal of plugins and instruments, so i can wait. on the other hand, some stuff i bought on sale that i'd otherwise never even consider or heard of (e.g. Orange Tree stuff). sales are a good way to generate buzz and get your product be known.
From Russia with love
KVRAF

7955 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:40 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

I just wait for holidays. Christmas was ridiculous. The bad part was I didn't have any money..
KVRAF

2764 posts since 13 Jan, 2005, from Deutschland

Postby murnau; Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:42 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

i mean the sales which happen a few month after the release date, not the sales from stuff which is years old. and with "stopped" i mean that i dont buy it on release date anymore because of that. the headline is a bit unclear but i wanted to keep it short.
“Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more” ― Nikola Tesla
KVRAF

8943 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:53 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

I don't like sales. I loose so much money because of them. Always when I want to save some money, there's another sale... :cry:
KVRAF

2783 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:27 am Re: did you "stopped" buying from devs with sales too?

But imagine there were no sales. You'd either buy nothing at all, or lose even more money. :hihi:
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic