LoudMax 1.12 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
LoudMax

LoudMax wrote:It really does mean that you can increase the volume at the input stage before the plugin and it won't allow distortion. But no one will ever need 740dB overhead.
It's just important to know that the input signal won't be clipped at 0dBFS. Some other limiter do that.
Ok. Understood.

And sure, I don't want to be even near that number. :)

LoudMax wrote:
solidtrax wrote: What is important to know is that this limiter has a pretty slow release to keep it from distorting. Because it's slow, it doesn't work perfect on all material. In my experience, it's a nice limiter when used gently.
The release time is adaptive and will only get slow when distortion would become audible.
Ah, I learned something today, thanks!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Very nice! Thanks for continuing development on this already great brickwall limiter. I love using it on bass guitar.

Really nice free little limiter! It's been updated in July to v1.13 :)

http://loudmax.blogspot.nl/
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Just re-discovered this limiter and 1.13 seems to be working nicely in renoise. Amazingly light on the CPU!

Thanks Loudmax.

This is probably the best freeware limiter for making a mix loud, though it does distort noticeably in the process. It can't compete with software like Elephant or higher end plugins (not to disparage Elephant at all, it's just what immediately comes to mind when I think "affordable limiter that has kept up with all the Joneses on the loudness front"), but it's also $0.00 and that's an extremely attractive price. I've used this to smash the CRAP out of some trashy drum loops, it's really good at that kind of thing. Does not do "subtle." Fantastic plugin to have in the toolkit if your DAW has no complaints, though, it is good at the things it does and dead simple to use.

Agreed wrote:This is probably the best freeware limiter for making a mix loud, though it does distort noticeably in the process. It can't compete with software like Elephant or higher end plugins (not to disparage Elephant at all, it's just what immediately comes to mind when I think "affordable limiter that has kept up with all the Joneses on the loudness front"), but it's also $0.00 and that's an extremely attractive price. I've used this to smash the CRAP out of some trashy drum loops, it's really good at that kind of thing. Does not do "subtle." Fantastic plugin to have in the toolkit if your DAW has no complaints, though, it is good at the things it does and dead simple to use.
but then it exactly is not what it claim to be:

"LoudMax is a Look-Ahead Brickwall Loudness Maximizer Plugin with a clean transparent sound. It is designed to retain the original character of the music as much as possible even at high compression levels."
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Really handy to slap over the master channel as a safeguard even if you want to swap out for something else later.

Amazing what can be had for free these days! 8)

Thank you i will give it a try :)
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

I use this plugin on bass guitar. I love it!

It is really handy to throw on an individual track to catch peaks, I used to use Pocket Limiter for that but this replaces its functionality and removes the sort of nebulous "not for commercial use" clause (which is arguably unenforceable, and who'd even know, but I want to respect the developer's intentions I guess - especially with modern tools like this available in place of the older stuff).

@Agreed i think you missunderstood the ula for Pocket Limiter though,
'You are allowed to use it for personal use only.
You are not allowed to re-copy or sell the dll file for money or include the dll
on compilation CDs e.c.t' just sayin'.
Last edited by spacedad on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacedad wrote:@Agreed i think you missunderstood the ila for Pocket Limiter though,
'You are allowed to use it for personal use only.
You are not allowed to re-copy or sell the dll file for money or include the dll
on compilation CDs e.c.t'
:o Are you sure? I could have sworn... Really?

Welp, that's sure something, haha.

Still, Loudmax is a better limiter than any of the ones in that collection, in my view. I can use it for the exact same thing that I'd have used Pocket Limiter for, which is a pretty subtle task in my workflow: as a peak catcher that can act as a sort of last-step in gain staging individual tracks to make extra sure that nary a single peak slips by unnoticed. The CPU hit is just so minimal that it's nearly free.

It doesn't seem to be as "clean" with its limiting when it comes to the unwanted things that limiters bring with them at extremes, when compared to higher end, professional software, but I actually kinda like that on certain things. I used it with some EQ and a very slight saturation plugin to absolutely SMASH some drums to the point where a real, acoustic kit sounded like samples on a track.

I know that the developer has stated that it has clean headroom up to something like 700dB, but I have found it can get really trashy when it gets really heavy. I dunno, intentional behavior or not? Sure is useful.

It's still very good at the standard limiting tasks where your program average isn't killing your dynamics but there are some overages and you don't want that - not square wave smashed, but loud mixes. It just seems to do some stuff that I don't usually associate with a typical infinite ratio look-ahead clean limiter when used for extreme smashing. Am I alone in that?

Agreed wrote:I can use it for the exact same thing that I'd have used Pocket Limiter for, which is a pretty subtle task in my workflow: as a peak catcher that can act as a sort of last-step in gain staging individual tracks to make extra sure that nary a single peak slips by unnoticed. The CPU hit is just so minimal that it's nearly free.
I use it for the exact same purpose. Peak catching and very subtle gain staging. It's perfect for that. I tried a lot of free limiters, and for me this one came out as the best. Sounds good, very convenient to use, solid and really light on cpu. And both 32-bit and 64-bit versions available :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Loving this. So easy to use and works a treat.
no sig

Return to “Effects”