Ariston - A night out

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://soundcloud.com/ariston/a-night-out

Lucy Liu and Photek were in my head when I was knitting this track.

like the ethnic drum sounds and the flute very atsmospheric
sounds well produced

Is this Chinese Drop-and-Gong-Step? :o

Nice song, would fit great to a documentary about Shaolin monks... :D

An odd hybrid between current dance music and traditional Chinese music. It is technically impressive and well produced but, to be honest, my main reaction was, "Why?"

Thanks for listening!

@Tricky: I had some sort of fight scene in mind, but nothing brutal, something poetic like Hero or Crouching Tiger. Technically speaking, I'm glad that the atmosphere comes across, because I really know next to nothing about Chinese music - I assume that the stuff they play in Chinese restaurants is about as authentic as Kim Kardashian, and that's about the breadth of my insight into Chinese music. :)

@ Frantz: I have to say, the question "why?" has never, ever entered my head where music, or any of the arts, for that matter, are concerned. I guess the best answer is "why not?". It's not like I have some definite plan in mind when I approach a new piece of music, it "just happens". So basically, this is me, and that's all the "why" I need.

I just wanted to generally say that I really appreciate your feedback; you're always very straightforward about it, and that's much more valuable than false praise.

Very intriguing (and enjoyable) track Ariston -
I loved melodic Eastern / Oriental instrumentation pieces (I sometimes try to do Japanese style compositions), and I wasn't expecting the more modern drum beats. But I think they went well together and I think that the clash of different styles / textures - and the movement from one 'scene' to another - really gives the impression of a good night out!

Cheers,
Doug

ariston wrote: @ Frantz: I have to say, the question "why?" has never, ever entered my head where music, or any of the arts, for that matter, are concerned. I guess the best answer is "why not?". It's not like I have some definite plan in mind when I approach a new piece of music, it "just happens". So basically, this is me, and that's all the "why" I need.
"Why not?" is a good answer. The world would be a more interesting place if everyone making music went in with no preconceptions. For better or worse, it seems like most people restrict themselves to narrow genres.

Doug1978 wrote:Very intriguing (and enjoyable) track Ariston -
I loved melodic Eastern / Oriental instrumentation pieces (I sometimes try to do Japanese style compositions), and I wasn't expecting the more modern drum beats. But I think they went well together and I think that the clash of different styles / textures - and the movement from one 'scene' to another - really gives the impression of a good night out!

Cheers,
Doug
Thanks very much for checking it out, Doug, glad you liked it!

This made me smile, since I read the title and thought that I'll be bombarded by some heavy duty Swedish House Mafia extravaganza (I think I subconsciously added 'Saturday' to the tittle, lol), but instead I was hit by a gong! hehehe!

Some really nice touches there! In my other music alter ego existence , I make what can loosely be described as "world music" and I do enjoy ethnic stuff mixed with contemporary production techniques, even if it's quirky!

I was trying to guess what you have used for the drum glitch factor, and Turnado came to mind...is it?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Hey himalaya, thanks for listening. I love listening to music of other cultures, and it's always interesting for me to see what influences manage to burrow their way through my subconscious and come out into the open. I've got a few electro-Fela-Kuti tracks sitting on my HD somewhere, which are probably just as quirky as this one.

The drum glitches are Stutter Edit and Turnado, in succession, with the transitions played "live" using my own presets. We had a thread here a coupla months ago about glitch techniques, and this is what I prefer. I admire the tenacity of people who meticulously tinker with the waveform, but it's not for me. Just the thought of getting the glitches in this track via editing gives me mouse elbow!

I have been know to favour the use of "Chinese" instruments in some of my tracks, so I was looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. Nice choice of instrumentation, with gongs, finger-cymbals, flute and erhu, and good work with the melodies too. I thought the track really took off when the DnB/glitch stuff came in. Great mix too.

Good wok :dog: :)

seismic1 wrote: Good wok :dog: :)
Thanks a lot, that really made me laugh! :) I'll have to use that in conversation...

There's that really useful asian percussion in the Kontakt library which I always use. I've always been meaning to invest in some deep-sampled percussion, though, because I really enjoy these sounds.

Anyways, thanks as always for giving it a listen and for the feedback, it means a lot!

brilliant stuff and superbly mixed... traditional oriental meets the digital age, nice job :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:brilliant stuff and superbly mixed... traditional oriental meets the digital age, nice job :tu:
Thank you very much for the feedback! Glad you liked it.

Return to “Music Cafe”