Which ipad mini for cubasis?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Should I get the original mini with more memory? Or, the ipad mini with retina display,which has the fasterA7 chip?

Thanks, Bill

P.S. I see garageband is available free with ios. How does it compare to
cubasis?

I use an iPad 4 (A6) and Cubasis works flawless. Only thing I regret is I got the iPad for free with a energy-contract and it's only 16 GB which gets full quite easily.

I never got the hang of Garageband. It has it's own (Apple) logic and although you can create your own musical lines it feels like it's engineered towards people who have no knowledge of music (lots of autoplay functions etc). Also a lot of settings are hidden in menus and it feels like you're stearing a cruiseship instead of a speedboat switching from instrument screens to your timeline and such.

Cubasis on the other hand feels like a modern DAW. Lots of thing you recognize and very easy to get the hang of it. Nice GUI, lots of updates and (also) interapp audio.

Only downside is the somewhat mediocre sounds that are in Cubasis. Even with the addition of Micrologue it's under-equiped. Then again most people nowadays have one or more iOS-synths anyway so...

I never tried Beatmaker or Auria but compared to Garageband and FL Studio, Cubasis is the best.
The only DAW that stands a change of competition is Nanostudio. Slightly different workflow but also very fast and comprehensive.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Thanks, I'm a cubase user,.looking forward to transferring projects and using icontrol.
Hopefully, icontrol will speed up work flow.

Alas I don't have the desktop version. I'm still contemplating about which remote controller to use. Leaning towards Lemur but the price is a bit of a barrier
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I hear Ya Spiritos. This whole tablet thing is a price barrier.I started out wanting
a $90 hisense tablet for traveling, the Hisense sero7 pro is only $60 more, then 16GB ipad mini only
$150 more, ect.....

Yeah, I don't think I would've bought an iPad if I hadn't gotten this particular deal..
As for Android.. I'm not familiar with those audio-apps but from what I've read I still belive the iPad is the way to go.

There is however quite the blooming business in refurbished iOS devices. It might be worth getting a used iPad as there are always people who trade in their 'old' devices when a new one comes out. Cubasis will run from an iPad 2 with 48 voices (sames as iPad mini).

Well, you could get a full Windows 8 8" tablet for 299 :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/21 ... _1_tablet/

UltraJv wrote:Well, you could get a full Windows 8 8" tablet for 299 :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/21 ... _1_tablet/
Wow! It would be great to have Sonar X2 running on it as it has native touchcontrol. Alas the review isn't too ravishing..

Cubasis works just fine on my iPad mini (non retina). Of course you'd be more limited in the number of Audiobus / IAA synths/effects you can run simultaneously which is the real factor (unless you're just wanting to track your external synths with it).

How much memory is in your ipad mini? I want to use synths, sample tank ios with cubasis, record guitar & bass too. I'm sure the a7 will run more plugins.I would also like shoot videos of me playing. Hopefully I can use irig as my sound source while shooting.

As for windows tablets, Do the lower priced units have enough storage space and cpu power to run sonar?

The Toshiba Encore meets the requirements to run Sonar. Better is the Dell Venue pro 8 :

http://www.trustedreviews.com/dell-venu ... let_review

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd

Thanks UltraJV, Are You running sonar on a tablet?

No, I use Full size PC. I think that for audio, the full windows 8 tablet is now hard to beat for cheaper. As its full Windows, It will run existing standalone audio stuff or DAWs with plugins.

Hello Bill!

I would recommend the retina version without hesitation.

Also, You should really have a gander at my latest blog post.

Right now I'm using my newly started blog to document a project where I'm producing an entire album using only an iPad mini (1st generation non-retina).

In my latest blogpost I am talking about Audiobus and Cubasis, but for the most part I'm describing what I feel is the biggest issues about production work on an iPad mini. There a lot of useful information in there.

http://www.ptc-crew.com/jakobhaq/buddhadrome6_2/

Thanks jakobhaq, keep us posted here too. I'll check out your blog.
How much storage space in your ipad mini 16GB,32GB?

Edit; Saw your blog, good info.Didn't think about the internal memory.
Good luck with your project.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”