What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

The problem with ST:Voyager...

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

13572 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:28 pm Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

vurt wrote:ca we do dr who next and how he had no right to keep wiping out the daleks. genocidal madman!

:hyper: :hyper:
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
Beware the Quoth

21190 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

So the problem with st:voyager that's been identified is that some people take lightweight science fiction far too f**king seriously, right?

Meanwhile I'll be posting my thesis on why Lexx is the most singularly audacious attempt to revive the Cathar heresy ever, with particular reference to 790 as the Head of Baphomet. Jacques du Molay, thou art avenged.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
KVRist

100 posts since 25 Nov, 2005

Postby HordePrime; Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:32 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

whyterabbyt wrote:So the problem with st:voyager that's been identified is that some people take lightweight science fiction far too f**king seriously, right?

No, the problem is people expect a certain level of quality (and sophistication) from a sci-fi show, a Star Trek one in particular, and Voyager consistently failed to deliver.

If all you want is a quick mindless bit of stupidity, there are much easier ways of doing it - go watch Pokemon or something.

Put simply, the problem with Voyager was that it just wasn't that good!
(And the contrast was even more noticeable at the time when compared with the concurrently ran DS9, or even other sci-fi shows such as Babylon 5).
KVRAF

2774 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:41 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

HordePrime wrote:No, the problem is people expect a certain level of quality (and sophistication) from a sci-fi show, a Star Trek one in particular, and Voyager consistently failed to deliver.

Ok, so you didn't like it, fair enough. No need to make false declarations then though. :P For instance, people don't really expect a certain level of quality, otherwise a series like Enterprise wouldn't have been cancelled after 4 seasons, and series like Stargate would not be so popular. I mean Stargate's demand is really very low level. I even would go so far as to say, that people nowadays are less and less demanding. Some nice pictures, some impressive action, and they will be pretty happy.
KVRian

1309 posts since 31 Jan, 2003, from Ghent, Belgium

Postby T-CM11; Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:34 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

chk071 wrote:people don't really expect a certain level of quality, otherwise a series like Enterprise wouldn't have been cancelled after 4 seasons, and series like Stargate would not be so popular.

Are you saying Enterprise was good and Stargate was bad? :lol:
KVRAF

3404 posts since 1 Aug, 2005, from where butter flies

Postby Zombie Queen; Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:48 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

T-CM11 wrote:
chk071 wrote:people don't really expect a certain level of quality, otherwise a series like Enterprise wouldn't have been cancelled after 4 seasons, and series like Stargate would not be so popular.

Yep, this is why Firefly only lasted 1 short season.
KVRian

Postby T-CM11; Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

Zombie Queen wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:

Yep, this is why Firefly only lasted 1 short season.

The first 2 seasons of Enterprise were terrible, 3rd season was cool, 4th season was ok, but felt like they were preparing for cancellation.
Stargate SG1: First season was meh, but I loved everything else. There was some great dry humor in the series, especially thanks to RD Anderson. Atlantis was ok, but with many weak episodes, often featuring 'the natives'. Universe was just plain bad, but I still wanted to see it resolved, and not ending with a cliffhanger...
Cancelling Firefly was just a crime! :evil:
KVRAF

7917 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:25 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

Firefly was crap. An old west town BUT with holographic windows! That actually break when people get thrown through them. Right. Also, that whole train episode was ripped off from a Nintendo Star Wars game.
I did like Serenity.
KVRAF

7917 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:26 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

The sin was canceling Defying Gravity.
addled muppet weed

34214 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:32 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

its all shit designed to keep spotty nerds from breeding. and from the last convention i went to seems to be working fairly well, needs a few minor improvements though.
KVRist

100 posts since 25 Nov, 2005

Postby HordePrime; Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:55 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

Enterprise was utter rubbish from start to finish. The surprise there is that it wasn't cancelled a lot earlier.

And if hadn't been a "Star Trek" show (even if not initially titled as such), it almost certainly would have been. In fact, it never would have got a green light in the first place.

They only just scraped 4 seasons because they needed 100 episodes for syndication.

No matter how bad Voyager was, at least it was never as bad as Enterprise.

The biggest sci-fi crime of them all was cancelling/abandoning Crusade (the B5 spinoff). (Please don't tell me the background, I already know it all).

chk071 wrote:Some nice pictures, some impressive action, and they will be pretty happy.

Yep, this pretty much explains the Abrams Star Trek reboot films.
KVRAF

2774 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:01 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

T-CM11 wrote:

Well, i won't argue with you about taste now. :) But concerning the demand, Stargate is definitely a couple of levels below any series of Star Trek. I mean you hardly have to use your head at all, which of course is quite positive for the average TV watcher. And if you want to hear my opinion, then i would say that Stargate is bad. :P But each to its like. Funnily i found Stargate Universe to be quite decent as the only series, but i guess that's because i'm just not the usual Stargate target audience, because it seems most of the fans didn't like it when it was cancelled.
Beware the Quoth

21190 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

HordePrime wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:So the problem with st:voyager that's been identified is that some people take lightweight science fiction far too f**king seriously, right?

No, the problem is people expect a certain level of quality (and sophistication) from a sci-fi show, a Star Trek one in particular

bwahahahaha. in yer wildest, bucko.

To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
addled muppet weed

34214 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:08 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

HordePrime wrote:Enterprise was utter rubbish from start to finish. The surprise there is that it wasn't cancelled a lot earlier.

And if hadn't been a "Star Trek" show (even if not initially titled as such), it almost certainly would have been. In fact, it never would have got a green light in the first place.

They only just scraped 4 seasons because they needed 100 episodes for syndication.

No matter how bad Voyager was, at least it was never as bad as Enterprise.

The biggest sci-fi crime of them all was cancelling/abandoning Crusade (the B5 spinoff). (Please don't tell me the background, I already know it all).

chk071 wrote:Some nice pictures, some impressive action, and they will be pretty happy.

Yep, this pretty much explains the Abrams Star Trek reboot films.

babylon5 is a big pile of shit!
KVRian

Postby T-CM11; Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:29 am Re: The problem with ST:Voyager...

vurt wrote:its all shit designed to keep spotty nerds from breeding.

So you're saying it's important. 8)

Now all we need is a way to stop everyone else from breeding... :D
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic