Upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit: experiences with different copy protections

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Not totally sure where to post this but mods are free to move if necessary.

Until yesterday i was using Windows 7 32-bit at both my desktop PC and my notebook.

Now i decided to upgrade my Notebook to Windows 7 64-bit (had both DVDs for 32.bit and 64-bit in the package). This upgrade is only possible with a clean install which means everything had to be reinstalled from scratch (with using 64-bit plugins where possible).

Installing and activating Ableton Live 9 Suite 64-bit worked like a charm. After being logged into my account all licenses were installed automatically. Installing Reaper 4 64-bit was simple too (needs a serial).

Then i started installing my plugnis for which i first had to dowanload the latest 64-bit versions first (no 32-bit plugins installed after the 64-bit upgrade at the moment).

I started installing the eLicenser software which i need for several plugins that got their licenses on an USB eLicenser dongle (e.g. Waldorf, Xils Lab and Arturia plugins) and like a charm too while additionally it was very fast. Installed the corresponding plugins and did not have to care about their protection any futher.

Then i installed all plugins from Tone 2 (6 synths + 2 FXs) and i first copied all key files to the Vstplugins folder. Worked perfectly too, without any problems.

Then i continued with the serial protected ones. Was a bit more work as the serials have to be entered at the correct places in the plugin GUI or at the installer. Still quite simple anyway.

Finally i started installing plugins that got a CR protection and now the problems started. Even when at the same notebook with the same hardware it seems to be necessary to request new activation codes. Have noticed this with 3 plugins now and do expect more of this. Don't want to call names of the plugins here which would be a bit unfair IMO. Will maybe mention here if this could not be solved for certain plugins.

Conclusion (for the moment):
The eLicenser dongle and key files (are the most simple to handle, serials are OK too but CR really sucks...

Based on this i don't really get why several people here are bashing the eLicenser dongle. Don't have experiences with the iLok dongle yet so could not comment there.

Before i forget:
The PSP NobleQ EQ plugin has a different protection. This has two files to install or remove a key to the registry which is quite simple too.
Besides that there were also some free plugins which do not need any copy protection (this includes e.g. 64-bit plugins of OBXD and some TAL plugins).

Based on that here is a kind of my personal ranking for the used copy protections:

1.) no copy protection
2.) eLicenser dongle
3.) key files
4.) registry installer (e.g. PSP NobleQ)
5.) Serial number
6.) Challenge/response (CR)

Note: The eLicenser dongle is maybe less easy when you have to install a new license so this rating is for the case that the licenses are already installed. In the other case where you have to install new licenses it would change position to be after the serial number .

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I'll guess that CR-protected software needs new authorisations as the new OS is detected as a different system (it all depends on the algorithm used and which system components are detected).

And, just to say, I've not had any problems with CR activations here.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:I'll guess that CR-protected software needs new authorisations as the new OS is detected as a different system (it all depends on the algorithm used and which system components are detected).

And, just to say, I've not had any problems with CR activations here.
It is no big problem as far as the developer is still available.

For one of the problematic synths i just received a new authorization by email as the automatic procedure did not work for some reason.

Compared to the other 5 protections i mentioned this is still more difficult and less reliable. Also none of them seemed to cause issues with a change in either hardware or OS (as they also work properly on both my computers).

Around 90 or more percent of all trouble i ever had concerning copy protections were somehow related to CR ones.

I do not say i would not purchase any CR protected plugins but it is my least favored one.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Actually, this is a good post. Informative :tu:

I'm glad everything seemed to go good for you Ingo.

It's just too bad things are the way they are that all protection mechanisms can't be your #1.

Hope the rest of your installs are smooth!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

was the win 7 32bit you had installed before what came on it from the factory? cos if it was it wouldn't have been installed using the actual windows key on the sticker, it'd be a SLP copy. Hence when you reinstalled actually using your real product key the s/w will see it as a 'different' system.

jdnz wrote:was the win 7 32bit you had installed before what came on it from the factory? cos if it was it wouldn't have been installed using the actual windows key on the sticker, it'd be a SLP copy. Hence when you reinstalled actually using your real product key the s/w will see it as a 'different' system.
I did not have a preinstalled Windows 7 but hadpurchased a boxed version some time ago. This contained both DVDs for 32-bit and 64-bit and have same serial/key.

BTW so far i had less problems with the switch to 64-bit than expected. For most of the plugins i actually use i found a 64-bit version and for a few others (mostly free ones) i found a substitution.

Anyway i'll keep my desktop PC at 32-bit for a while, also to have both options for upcoming Beta tests on which i participate quite often. In fact i did this installation/upgrade mostly for taht purpose too.

BTW for my dekstop PC i got a second Windows 7 boxed version with both DVDs.

The activation of Live 9 Suite would have been possible offline too but than i would have to install a bunch of serials/codes for all products in the Suite. With the Online activation all this was done automatically from my account.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

OS variant is one of the defining points for every C/R system I know of. So yeah- you'd need to reauthorize.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Hi,

still installing some plugins on my notebook while currently this is mostly related to CR protected ones.
At the moment i plan to only use native 64-bit plugins on my notebook, also because Live 9 64-bit does not include a bridge.

This is a list of native 64-bit hosts/plugins i already installed with copy protection method in brackets:

Hosts/DAWs:
- Ableton Live Suite 9.1.1 64-bit (CR/Online activation)
- Cockos Reaper 4 64-bit (serial)
- Herman seib VSTHost 64-bit (free)

VST Plugins:
- Waldorf Edition 64-bit (serial)
- Waldorf Lector (eLicenser dongle)
- Tone 2 Nemesis (key file)
- Tone 2 Rayblaster (key file)
- Tone 2 Saurus (key file)
- Tone 2 Gladiator 2 (key file)
- Tone 2 Firebird (free)
- Tone 2 Warmverb (key file)
- Tone 2 FilterBank 3 (key file)
- Xils Lab V+ (eLicenser dongle)
- Xils Lab Oxium (serial)
- Xils Lab Synthix (eLicenser dongle)
- Xils Lab PolyKB II (eLicenser dongle)
- Xils Lab XILS 3 (eLicenser dongle)
- Xils Lab RAMSES (serial)
- KV331 Synthmaster 2.6 (serial/key file)
- U-He Diva (serial)
- U-He ACE (serial)
- Dmitry Sches Diversion (key file)
- Datsounds OBXD (free)
- Linplug Albino 3 (serial)
- Linplug Spectral (serial)
- PPG WaveGenerator for PC (CR)
- Arturia oberheim SEM V (eLicenser dongle)
- Arturia Prophet V (eLicenser dongle)
- Arturia Jupiter 8V (eLicenser dongle)
- Arturia Minimoog V Original (free, serial/activation code)
- Cableyguys Curve 2 (serial)
- GForce ImpOSCar 2 (serial)
- Hamburg-Audio Nuklear (CR)
- FXpansion Geist (CR)
- FXpansion DCAm Synth Squad (CR/serial)
- Korg Legacy collection Analog Edition 2007 (MS-20, Polysix, MonoPoly, Legacy Cell) (CR)
- Korg Legacy Collection Digital edition (Wavestation, M1, MDE-X) (CR)
- TAL BassLine-101 (serial)
- TAL U-NO-LX V2 (serial)
- TAL Chrous-LX (free)
- TAL Noizemaker (free)
- TAL Dub-3 (free)
- D16 Drumazon (serial)
- D16 Phoscyon (serial)
- Mutools MUX v5.5 (serial)
- Truepianos v1.95 (serial)
- AdmiralQuality Poly-Ana (serial)
- Cakewalk Z3TA+ 2 (serial)
- KiloHearts KHs ONE (serial)
- Audio Damage Phosphor (serial)
- Martinic Combo Model V (free)
- Martinic Combo Model F (free)
- Arts Acoustic Big Rock Phase Shifter (key file)
- PSP NobleQ (registry installer)
- ERS Dimension D (key file installer)
- ValhallaDSP ValhallaVintageVerb (key file)
- Stillwell Audio The Rocket (key file)
- Stillwell Audio Bomardier compressor (key file)
- Stillwell Audio VibeEQ (key file)
- Melda Free Bundle (free)
- Voxengo SPAN (free)

Plugins i got that are not available for native 64-bit yet
(including some Synthedit plugins, called SE here):
- SonicCharge Synplant (serial), 64-bit and 2.0 update seem to be planned
- GSI VB-3 (serial)
- GSI GS-201 Space Echo (serial)
- Schwa Oligarc Bundle (key file)
- MaxSynths Crisalys (SE synth)
- MaxSynths Latte (SE synth)
- XHun Audio Little one (SE synth)
- WOK Clockwork (SE plgin)
- WOK SAM (SE synth)
- Tactile Sounds Substance (free, SE synth)
- RS-Met Signal Analyzer (free)
- Tune It! tuning plugin (free)

UPDATE: Just installed NI Komplete 6 and NI Monark.

Some others are planned to be sold so not on the list now.

ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
Got NI Konplete 6 + NI Monark but those could be used only on one PC so will stay at
the desktop PC (on Windows 7 32-bit and Live 9 32-bit) at the moment.

ingo

i have reaktor on 2 pcs.

vurt wrote:
i have reaktor on 2 pcs.
With the same license?

As i got Reaktor as part of Komplete 6 i could not install seperately.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
i have reaktor on 2 pcs.
With the same license?

As i got Reaktor as part of Komplete 6 i could not install seperately.

Ingo

yep same licence.

vurt wrote:

yep same licence.
UPDATE:
Just checked again. Maybe i had misunderstood something...

Will try to check ASAP.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:

yep same licence.
UPDATE:
Just checked again. Maybe i had misunderstood something...

Will try to check ASAP.

Ingo

yep i think you misunderstood something. i asked about it on their forum a while back as i wanted to use it on my laptop for live situations as well as o my pc for studio situations. was told as log as i dont use both simultaneously ie laptop as intrument running into pc with reaktor fx it was fine to have up to 3 installations at any one time.

vurt wrote: yep i think you misunderstood something. i asked about it on their forum a while back as i wanted to use it on my laptop for live situations as well as o my pc for studio situations. was told as log as i dont use both simultaneously ie laptop as intrument running into pc with reaktor fx it was fine to have up to 3 installations at any one time.
Hi,

many thanks for the hint.
Just started installing Komplete 6, Monark and the corresponding 64-bit plugins on my notebook.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

good stuff. glad i could help.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”