Fragile Gods - "All That Remains" (new mix on Mar 10)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sbj wrote: Your songwriting is excellent.
If I were to make a track in this genre I could learn a lot from
this.
Well done :clap:
Thanks for the very nice feedback! :D

Allomerus wrote:Really enjoying this perky track Frantz! The Thomas Dolby reference by PatchAdamz is apt. Sounds great and would indeed be great in a club. :)
Thanks for checking this out. I'm happy to hear that it's danceable. It wasn't the main focus but I consider it a plus.

I have to confess that I'm not hearing that much similarity to Thomas Dolby but he is the original synth nerd so I don't mind the comparisons. :)

It definitely reminds me of the 80s as well, but in a really good way. Shades of Bowie, shades of Depeche Mode, but also unique. A big thumbs up from me! :)

Frantz,
Thank you for the recent review! Now your tune: instrumentally reminds me of Depeche Mode at times (a compliment). Vocals are slightly pitchy at times, though they fit the song well. Singing reminds me of Bowie and Trent Reznor at times. Song sounds rather 80's for the most part (fine by me). I like the synths. Nice song! I also own SEM-V & Diva. I suggest trying u-he Zebra if you haven't already done so.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

seismic1 wrote:Lots of great stuff going on the background, rhythmic arps, percussion, vocal echoes. Nice details.
There is sort of an ambient track running underneath throughout. Thanks for noticing it and all the other details. :)
seismic1 wrote:The lead synth that entered at 0:16 reminded me of "World in My Eyes". In fact I thought this track sounded more DM than Dolby. All the sounds mesh together nicely and the mix was great.
That string patch is a Diva preset. It's the only synth preset used here. I normally start off with presets and replace them with original sounds but that patch sounded so good I decided to leave it.

Yes, I suppose if I slowed the tempo down and somehow turned up the quality of the vocals, it could be DM. But I guess we'll have to settle for FG. :wink:

Thanks for the great feedback.

Great stuff! Love the vocals. Production sounds very polished. Nice volume, sounds like a radio release to me.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Zombie Queen wrote:Good song in electric-eclectic-80s mood, I like it.
Thanks ZQ.
Zombie Queen wrote:I thought the vocals in the chorus part could be less loud and less high-freq and maybe even have more drive, just in less head drilling manner...
Yeah, vocals are always a struggle for me. I wrote the vocal melody for the chorus on keyboards without really considering the difficulty in singing it. After multiple attempts, I think I got a decent performance down but ran out of energy and perspective in the mixing stage. I will probably attempt to remix the chorus later when I can approach it with fresh ears.

I appreciate the feedback. :tu:

Really great tones Frantz - a spritely leap of a song and a clear, wide mix too.

Nice stuff :)
Doug

Awesome dark synth pop Frantz, really enjoyed it! :)
Image Image

Nice bass.

I like the chorus best, but the whole thing's enjoyable. Good sound too.

Thanks, Frantz.
No longer a moderator.

Emerald Tablet wrote:Fresh and full sound.

Love it
Thanks for the listen Remmie. :)

joejohnstun wrote:Is it just me or does this sound a teeny bit old-fashioned. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel 80s all over. Maybe it's on purpose.
Yes, you're right. I was a teenager in the 80s and soaked up all of the electronic music at the time like a sponge. By the time the 90s rolled around, I was less impressionable and also electronic music shifted away from songs and more towards DJs and producers making tracks. I lost interest and starting listening more to 60s and 70s music and other genres.

At some point, I want to figure out how to incorporate a few newer elements into my music.
joejohnstun wrote:Very majestic, almost a royal sound like something you'd play at the coronation of an 80s king, whatever that is.
Funny description. I know what you mean. :D

Thanks for the feedback.

layzer wrote:the music sounds flawless. great sounds and lyrics. you pegged the dolby "blinded me with science" solo sound at 2:47! have to agree with ZQ, also feel the chorus vox had a wee bit to much mid-highs preventing it from sitting smoothly in the mix. in all, a great sounding example of my fav music era. :tu:
Glad you enjoyed it. The Dolby resemblance is accidental but I see what you mean about that solo sound. Yes, I should do something about the chorus vox. At the moment, I'm anxious to move onto something new but I will come back to it at some point.

Thanks layzer for the helpful feedback. :)

I thought the vocal arrangement was cool, the back and forth of the vocal mix. I wish when I'm working on a solo track I could incorporate vox to my stuff without relying on others so I fully appreciate what you've done. I suppose theres nods to other synth styles but its your comp and I enjoyed the sounds and how it was put together, it shows creative arranging.

I listened to this a few times on a variety of systems and I really like it - great song! - I cannot go too much into comparisons a la sounds like... because I'm not a regular listener of that genre and not very familiar with similar music from the 80s. But this reminded me of Telefon Tel Aviv - probably you know the project? - you mentioned blending your style with a few elements from contemporary electronic music & revisiting them might be interesting. I did a few listening comparisons with songs that I thought had something in common with yours - "Helen of Troy" and "You're the worst thing in the world" - that was very instructive - I think the mix and overall production are really great, and I found myself preferring your track to the other two. Thanks for sharing...looking forward to hearing more :)

Return to “Music Cafe”