Clavia Nord Lead 2X (Worth buying) or better to use VST synth to emulate its sounds ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djanthonyw wrote:It does for me, but when I want something that sounds just like a Nord, Discovery is spot on now with the latest version.
No it doesn't. It totally misses on those aliasing oscillators.

:lol:

But yeah. The latest version of Discovery Pro made me sell my Nord Lead 2x faster than you can say, "Where's the Unison?" :dog:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Well I purchased Discovery years ago when I had my Nord 2X, and I agree that it didn't sound like a Nord then, but the latest version definitely sounds as good.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:Well I purchased Discovery years ago when I had my Nord 2X, and I agree that it didn't sound like a Nord then, but the latest version definitely sounds as good.
I'd like to check out the latest version. I had a quick look on YT for the latest features and it sounds very good, plus I like the way you can stack Ocs.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Isn't synth1....

T-CM11 wrote:
Vectorman wrote: Now as far as the new NL4 goes, it seems a bit pricey for what it is unless you're a pretty hardcore Nord fan. For that price, one could buy a pair of Macbooks for live performance that could run any number of softsynths.
When I go to a concert, I'd rather see someone operating a Nord than a laptop. But yeah, I don't think it's worth the price difference compared to a NL2 or 2X... But if money was no object, the NL4 is the VA to rule them all. 8)
They wouldn't be playing the laptop, though - they'd be playing controller keyboards (very possibly with larger and better keybeds than what one finds on Nord synths). Just considering the visual aspect, most people in the audience don't know the difference between a MIDI controller with some knobs on it and a Nord/Virus/etc. Myself, given that most of my stuff is more piano-based with some added synths these days, I'd be way too busy playing with both hands and singing to be bothered with tweaking knobs. Now, for an act that does synth-dominated music and lots of live sound tweaking is a bigger part of it, obviously having knobby hardware synths would be more important. Though I've seen a few electronic acts on TV lately and watching them hold down a key or a simple chord while playing with knobs wasn't all that visually engaging. Which I suppose is why the cameras spend most of their time focused on the singer. :wink:
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

If the OP wants a great sounding Nord Lead 2x emulation then definitely check out what DiscoDSP has to offer with Discovery.

Also wasnt the aliasing issues with the Lead2x fixed with the 24bit dac?
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:If the OP wants a great sounding Nord Lead 2x emulation then definitely check out what DiscoDSP has to offer with Discovery.

Also wasnt the aliasing issues with the Lead2x fixed with the 24bit dac?
No.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Vectorman wrote:most people in the audience don't know the difference between a MIDI controller with some knobs on it and a Nord/Virus/etc.
So? Most people don't even notice when audio jacks aren't plugged in. Does that mean that you should start playbacking? (= rhetorical question, of course :P )

Vectorman wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Vectorman wrote: Now as far as the new NL4 goes, it seems a bit pricey for what it is unless you're a pretty hardcore Nord fan. For that price, one could buy a pair of Macbooks for live performance that could run any number of softsynths.
When I go to a concert, I'd rather see someone operating a Nord than a laptop. But yeah, I don't think it's worth the price difference compared to a NL2 or 2X... But if money was no object, the NL4 is the VA to rule them all. 8)
They wouldn't be playing the laptop, though - they'd be playing controller keyboards (very possibly with larger and better keybeds than what one finds on Nord synths). Just considering the visual aspect, most people in the audience don't know the difference between a MIDI controller with some knobs on it and a Nord/Virus/etc. Myself, given that most of my stuff is more piano-based with some added synths these days, I'd be way too busy playing with both hands and singing to be bothered with tweaking knobs. Now, for an act that does synth-dominated music and lots of live sound tweaking is a bigger part of it, obviously having knobby hardware synths would be more important. Though I've seen a few electronic acts on TV lately and watching them hold down a key or a simple chord while playing with knobs wasn't all that visually engaging. Which I suppose is why the cameras spend most of their time focused on the singer. :wink:
Exactly. I've seen a countless number of interviews where people have a Nord in the studio, and are just using it as a controller. It would be amusing if this was the case at a show, and were using really long midi cables while having the laptop hidden. You think anyone would be able to tell the difference? Even people that know what a Nord is? :lol:
You are currently reading my signature.

Vectorman wrote:Now, for an act that does synth-dominated music and lots of live sound tweaking is a bigger part of it, obviously having knobby hardware synths would be more important.
The Advent used to have a cool live act, he didn't play any keyboards but he was constantly tweaking controllers for Live, a hardware looper, a hardware filter, and a DJ mixer. It was exciting to watch and it looked like he was having fun, and I think that communicates as much as or more than the actual music.

arkmabat wrote:Isn't synth1....
It's supposed to be. But as far as i can judge, from Youtube vids, and sound example from the Nord, at least the filter is totally different. (as the Synth1 filter is pretty sucky)

Uncle E wrote:
Vectorman wrote:Now, for an act that does synth-dominated music and lots of live sound tweaking is a bigger part of it, obviously having knobby hardware synths would be more important.
The Advent used to have a cool live act, he didn't play any keyboards but he was constantly tweaking controllers for Live, a hardware looper, a hardware filter, and a DJ mixer. It was exciting to watch and it looked like he was having fun, and I think that communicates as much as or more than the actual music.
I guess for a lot of people who make modern electronic club music, that's about the only kind of live performance they can realistically give, since so much is based around arpeggiator and step sequencer-driven lines that don't lend themselves to actually being "played" per se. Clearly there are a lot of people who like going to see performances that consist of triggering sound bites and fading prerecorded tracks in and out on a mixer and tweaking filters and that's cool. I suppose it's a performance art of a different sort. It's just not my thing.

One one-man show I did kind of dig was Thomas Dolby, who isn't necessarily a dazzling player but did play many parts live in between tweaking his gadgets during his one-man tour a few years ago. I recall on a couple of songs, he did the looper thing, playing parts into the recorder a track at a time and building up a backing track in front of the audience, and then once it was in place, he launched into the song and played keyboards and sang on top of it. Kind of a cool blend of modern tech and traditional musical skills.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Vectorman wrote:I guess for a lot of people who make modern electronic club music, that's about the only kind of live performance they can realistically give, since so much is based around arpeggiator and step sequencer-driven lines that don't lend themselves to actually being "played" per se. Clearly there are a lot of people who like going to see performances that consist of triggering sound bites and fading prerecorded tracks in and out on a mixer and tweaking filters and that's cool. I suppose it's a performance art of a different sort. It's just not my thing.
One of the worst live electronics acts I've ever seen was Daft Punk. They had a giant live console in front of them and all they were doing was mixing in parts together. To be fair, it was an early tour in support of "Homework" and every live recording I've heard from them since sounded far more exciting.

The very best live electronic act I've seen, at least in the sense that you're speaking of, was Roni Size and Reprazent. Live singer, live MC, live drummer, live bassist, and a bunch of guys standing around triggering S-760's. It was the live musicians who made the show exciting. Same goes for Underworld, The Prodigy, and Armin Van Buuren. The Advent is the most exciting all electronic act I've seen.

People used to like our live shows when I was with Nara and I think that had something to do with our music being mostly improvised. People became a lot less interested when we went computer-based and mostly pre-programmed.

Hi,

Wow.. time flies, revisiting this thread makes me feel like I just posted this topic yesterday :)

Anyone here got the NL4 or NL4 (Rack) ?

Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

Wow.. time flies, revisiting this thread makes me feel like I just posted this topic yesterday :)

Anyone here got the NL4 or NL4 (Rack) ?

Do you still own the Nord lead 2x? I'm thinking on getting one, what's your experience after all these years
Some people say that it sounds like any other vst, others say it has a unique sound, i really like the interface and some demos i've seen on youtube, maybe is not analog but i'm not looking for true analog sound, just a good hardware synth, with unique sound and easy to program.
Who is this doing this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”