Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've never had a Michael Kelly before. The one I'm buying only 50 were built.

It's 300 used including shipping.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Definitely looks the part.

So far from what I've seen of other MK's ... they mostly look/play like samick's The Patriot is very close to a fastback / avion in contour and, sound. (smaller LP'ish)
I'm very happy with my fastback so there is no reason for me to look at something else.
Still given the option for an archtop solid body ... I'd opt for a raven 350. The neck is super super slim. The fretwork is the best thing I've ever seen come out of Korea and I love my Parker P44 I've got a raven west 450. It's a smaller prs type semi-hollow body and is fairly close sounding to a samick RL4 with a stop tailpiece. But the neck is better (thinner and narrower and 24frets) It's warm but not as warm as the model I'm getting nor does it have the presence. (I hope)

I'm hoping for that Robert Conti tone. Not really 335 ish or 175 ish. it's somewhere inbetween.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcKkNZc4goU

That will be the guitar I buy when I win the lottery.

hibidy wrote:It's not going to be my "next" guitar, but I really would like a Vai Jem. They've gone WAY WAY up in price to redunculousville but was just thinking I'd really like one.
When I was a kid, I thought the handle had a sustain button in it. ;)

Uncle E wrote:
hibidy wrote:It's not going to be my "next" guitar, but I really would like a Vai Jem. They've gone WAY WAY up in price to redunculousville but was just thinking I'd really like one.
When I was a kid, I thought the handle had a sustain button in it. ;)
I would even like one of the beat up ones. Wow, It's scary that people have enough coin to plink down on one of those!

hibidy wrote:
I would even like one of the beat up ones. Wow, It's scary that people have enough coin to plink down on one of those!
Surprised you never saw the japanese investors with suitcases of cash.
I'm sure I've told you this story before.

We have this annual event called.. The guitar show.
http://www.gordysmusic.com/Guitar_show_Information.php

It's changed in recent years. Dealers, collectors and the general public all show up and show their wares. It used to be if you brought your guitar you got in free. Japanese investors come with suitcases of cash to buy collectable guitars which they take back and store in a vault for 20 or 30 years. They throw money at people who have guitars that will appriciate in value.

A buddy of mine used to collect old reject guitars. Kay's, Silvertone, Harmony, etc. He'd buy em for like 50 to 100 fix em up and store em.
He put out a big display at the guitar show. Some investor bought it all out lock stock and barrel.... That investor eventually became the head of Eastwood guitars. The new stuff they produce is so much amazingly better then the originals.

It'd be awesome if that was a used guitar that got that way from actual playing. I've always liked those while JEM's but I'm afraid of getting a counterfeit. Anyway, the Bad Horsie is my favorite.

yeah, but that's because you have one :hihi:

@bad horsie, is that a lopro? I thought Vai liked the original edges

@counterfeits: It's AMAZING how many there are. Most of them are really bad, I'd have no way of knowing with some though.

Yeah, it's a lopro.

The ones I've seen were pretty bad. They're all over the place when I got to the Chinese trade shows. :-/

The price tag of $7,777.77 Is a gratuitous example of how obscene and vulgar the arbitrary pricing of high-end guitars has become. There's no meaning to it, whatsoever! The prices are just jacked up to see how much people will pay. I'm starting to discover, guitars in the price range of $300 to $1200 are where the sweet spot is. I'm suspicious of paying any more than that :shrug:

I saw the Steve Vai video for the EVO

I hate to say it but it reminded me of a green acres episode. Mr Haney has a chisel and a hammer and he's antiquifying junk furniture.

blueman wrote:
The price tag of $7,777.77 Is a gratuitous example of how obscene and vulgar the arbitrary pricing of high-end guitars has become. There's no meaning to it, whatsoever! The prices are just jacked up to see how much people will pay. I'm starting to discover, guitars in the price range of $300 to $1200 are where the sweet spot is. I'm suspicious of paying any more than that :shrug:
yeah, not even the crack when the neck joins the body is real :hihi:

I talked to a couple of people who played them and though they couldn't afford it either, they were surprised by how great they played and sounded.

I'll bet if I picked up Vai's "Evo" though, I'd probably not like it. A new Jem has gone from a street of 2200 to THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS in the last couple of years :o Sorry, me want, me no have.

@300-1200: Closer to 1200 :hihi: The Carvin and the Fender were about that (maybe a tad more) and they are STELLAR instruments. The one ibby I have left was about 1100 new and it's stellar also.

All those "inexpensive PREMIUM" guitars? Long gone. They were built alright, they played ok, but they sounded like ass. Didn't matter what I tried with pickups.

I am jacks wasted money.......

tapper mike wrote:I saw the Steve Vai video for the EVO

I hate to say it but it reminded me of a green acres episode. Mr Haney has a chisel and a hammer and he's antiquifying junk furniture.
I thought it was fun to watch, but I know whatcha mean.

I've always wanted a Suhr

They have a used one down here, at my little GC but they still want 1599 for it which isn't in the cards (literally or figuratively) So, I'm kinda scared to play it (it's in the case)

Ah well, prolly the closest I'll ever be to one.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”