Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

xiphiuz wrote:That's great news and impressive work Andy :clap:

Just for the record: Which OS, host, soundcard and buffer settings did you use?
The full setup is below.

Test system: a single core of a 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Host: Live 9.1.1
Audio: 44.1khz with 64 sample buffer, firewire connected RME Fireface UCX
Method: Load a virtual instrument, play a Sawtooth wave at 440 hz full volume. Add The Drop, and switch off all blue power buttons. Enable x4 oversampling and note the cpu use as the baseline amount of cpu. Now switch on the LP filter and set to 800hz and 75% res, take note of the cpu, enable 4 pole and note the cpu, switch off the LP and repeat for the HP. Now subtract the baseline measure from these and divide by 4.

This method will give a result of how much cpu the filters themselves are consuming and remove all other variables.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Thanks andy, this helps a lot! Can't wait for the new beta. Or will it be a full blown release already?

Intrigued and looking forward. :D

That's great news. Really looking forward to trying the new filter models on the new release.
Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
Artist: http://soundcloud.com/nigel
Label: http://soundcloud.com/diplopiarecords

I finally had time to play around with the LFO - it sounds hot.

I used the Drop's LFO in the second half of the track in my sig

Didn't go overboard with modulation or automation because the simple LFO on the 1 beat sounded so nice...(except the last 10 seconds where I sped it up)

Can't wait for 1.0 with some presets made by the person who knows this thing inside out :tu:

I picked it up this weekend to give Andy a little encouragement so close to the big release. I'm quite excited; I've been watching from a distance for a long time in anticipation of this release.

:hyper:
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

wesleyt wrote:I picked it up this weekend to give Andy a little encouragement so close to the big release. I'm quite excited; I've been watching from a distance for a long time in anticipation of this release.

:hyper:
I'm super excited about the upcoming release as well, it's been around 3 years in development, which is back breaking in terms of a product lifecycle, so your purchase really helps and is very much appreciated. Cytomic is a small business so every purchase helps.

There are stupendous amounts of advanced algorithms and tech that have been developed and poured into The Drop and the results will speak for themselves. This work has already paved the way for at least 2 more plugins this year if not more, so it is a very exciting time for me :)

Oh, there will be more purchases. I have had the money saved for this groundbreaking software filter for nearly 3 years. Just been waiting for it to be out of Beta ;)

I have been thinking about making a MIDI controller that looks just like the drop, to use with the Drop and to control my other filter plugins. I wish I was good at building things. A tabletop unit, not too big itself, but with nice big quality knobs...
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:Oh, there will be more purchases. I have had the money saved for this groundbreaking software filter for nearly 3 years. Just been waiting for it to be out of Beta ;)

I have been thinking about making a MIDI controller that looks just like the drop, to use with the Drop and to control my other filter plugins. I wish I was good at building things. A tabletop unit, not too big itself, but with nice big quality knobs...
That's great to know :tu:

I'm going a re-organise the user interface at the moment to fit the visualiser in, I'll post some initial renders in the next day or two, so hold off on getting any midi controllers made up if you want it to have the same layout :)

andy-cytomic wrote:I'm super excited about the upcoming release as well, it's been around 3 years in development, which is back breaking in terms of a product lifecycle, so your purchase really helps and is very much appreciated. Cytomic is a small business so every purchase helps.
I'm so glad! You are most welcome.
andy-cytomic wrote:This work has already paved the way for at least 2 more plugins this year if not more, so it is a very exciting time for me :)
Way cool. Looking forward to those as well!
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

andy-cytomic wrote:
pheeleep wrote:Oh, there will be more purchases. I have had the money saved for this groundbreaking software filter for nearly 3 years. Just been waiting for it to be out of Beta ;)

That's great to know :tu:

I'm going a re-organise the user interface at the moment to fit the visualiser in, I'll post some initial renders in the next day or two, so hold off on getting any midi controllers made up if you want it to have the same layout :)
Making a Drop Midi controller is more like "wishful dreaming" for me at this point. It would need push buttons, led's... I have 0 knowledge or experience doing this. How about you make a deal with a hardware company to make one and I will buy it? :)
Play it by ear

It's been a long haul! I'm definitely looking forward to the final version too! :tu:

Sorry if this is a known behavior (or "feature" ;) ) but is it normal for the modulators not to be able to affect the LP Freq at all when it's at 0? I would expect it to be modulated from its lowest setting into the audible range by the modulators. Thanks!

Breeze wrote:It's been a long haul! I'm definitely looking forward to the final version too! :tu:

Sorry if this is a known behavior (or "feature" ;) ) but is it normal for the modulators not to be able to affect the LP Freq at all when it's at 0? I would expect it to be modulated from its lowest setting into the audible range by the modulators. Thanks!
Yes, this is a feature, you are just not seeing the application in how you are currently using the filter.

If you want modulation to continue then leave the cutoff at around 1-10 hz or above. Most filters have a lower bound of 20 hz, but if you check the labels / values on The Drop it goes all the way down to 0 hz.

Frequency modulation is equivalent to multiplication of the cutoff frequency by the modulator freq = 2^(cutoff + modulation) = 2^(cutoff) * 2^(modulation), if the cutoff is 0 hz then anything * 0 = 0, so you stay at 0. This is very useful if you want to smoothly filter in or out a sound that has even large modulation on it, you just turn a single cutoff knob to get the job done.

andy-cytomic wrote:This work has already paved the way for at least 2 more plugins this year if not more, so it is a very exciting time for me :)
This is news I like to hear :D
Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
Artist: http://soundcloud.com/nigel
Label: http://soundcloud.com/diplopiarecords

andy-cytomic wrote:There are stupendous amounts of advanced algorithms and tech that have been developed and poured into The Drop and the results will speak for themselves. This work has already paved the way for at least 2 more plugins this year if not more, so it is a very exciting time for me :)
Amen, count me in !

Return to “Effects”