Help me make a decision

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At the end of last year I decided to upgrade my Maschine MK1 to Maschine Studio. Not long after I had an opportunity to get an Ableton Push on an offer I couldn't refuse. I'd also recently switched from Ableton to Cubase and found Ableton more creative for what I am doing right now so it seemed like a no brainer.

After around 3 months I've been thoroughly been enjoying Push whilst the Maschine Studio has basically gathered dust. I'm not sure what it is, the 2.0 software doesn't feel as good as the 1.8 to me and I rarely use the factory samples (big fan of the driven machine drum packs). In addition the whole composing process with Push seems fuller, especially with the scales, note sequencer and superior drum sequencer.

A while back when I was using Maschine I was writing some more 'hip hop' styled stuff but I don't do that as often now. And I can just as easily slice up samples in Ableton. So right now it feels like I have 2 tools for the same job.

Problem is, regardless, Maschine Studio and the software is a fantastic piece of kit. And I do have a habit of regretting selling things once I have done it, but it just doesn't seem worth it and I could invest the money elsewhere if I sold Maschine Studio.

So has anyone else been in a similar situation? Regretted it or never looked back?

Love to get some thoughts to help me make up my mind!

I'd say if there was something pressing you had to get funds for that was gonna provide a particular function you can't yet achieve with the gear you already have, then yeah definitely sacrifice the dustiest piece of kit.
But if not and your just pissed by looking at it because you're not utilizing it at the moment, give it some time and put it on the shelf. The inevitable workflow reinvention will likely bring you back to it for some reason or another.
That said. I've bought and sold (for a loss) maschine twice. The second time around I had an epiphany that for me, I trusted hardware to sit on the shelf if need be for a lot longer and still be viable when I returned to it. Native Instruments does a hell of a good job at making their products obsolete in a years time.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”