In-the-womb drums

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You guys know that rich, warm, fetus-like kick and snare in Björk's song Unravel? How can I recreate that in Ableton Live 9? I've tried adding reverb to drum samples, but it makes them rather high-pitched, not deep/rich. Any suggestions for other effects I can add/layer to get that sound?

It is too dang good!

Sounds like its reverbed through filters and then saturated in tubedistortion, heavily compressed and waveshaped with envelopes. Pretty hard to make good, and it'll take a lot of time.

A good analog modelled filter like The Drop with a healthy dose of drive can work wonders for warming up a sound. I've found myself cutting highs more and more as time goes on, with either EQ or a nice LPF. Digital recording and synthesis preserve the highs too well (almost perfectly) so when you have multiple tracks, they can tend to have a harsh high end.

A good tip with reverbed drums is to sample the reverb of each hit, then you can cut it off when the next one sounds (or not, your call), which can really let you amp up the bigness without getting muddy layers of overlapping tails.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Charms wrote:You guys know that rich, warm, fetus-like kick and snare in Björk's song Unravel?

It is too dang good!
No problem Charms, simply get back into the womb and record it. :tu:

Love that Bjork.

Sendy wrote: I've found myself cutting highs more and more as time goes on, with either EQ or a nice LPF. Digital recording and synthesis preserve the highs too well (almost perfectly) so when you have multiple tracks, they can tend to have a harsh high end.
You know, I hadn't even thought to cut the highs, and it's so obvious to me now that that's where a lot of the sharpness probably come from! Haha, thanks!

PatchAdamz wrote:
Charms wrote:You guys know that rich, warm, fetus-like kick and snare in Björk's song Unravel?

It is too dang good!
No problem Charms, simply get back into the womb and record it. :tu:

Love that Bjork.

Hahah! Yeah, that's pretty much what I've got to do. She is magnificent!

All good advice above... But to me it distinctively sounds played back at half speed as well.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

low pitched drums>dark room reverb>bitcruscher or distortion capable of breaking up the sound good>lowpass filter with minimal resonance> compressor> transient modifier.

That will do it. You might want to sample regular pitch drums through your reverb and then pitch them down after in order to further darken the sound and make it sound like more of a part of the sound.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Sound Design”