What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

In-the-womb drums

How to make that sound...

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Charms
KVRer

6 posts since 4 Mar, 2014, from Detroit, MI

Postby Charms; Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:28 pm In-the-womb drums

You guys know that rich, warm, fetus-like kick and snare in Björk's song Unravel? How can I recreate that in Ableton Live 9? I've tried adding reverb to drum samples, but it makes them rather high-pitched, not deep/rich. Any suggestions for other effects I can add/layer to get that sound?

It is too dang good!
charliecrash
KVRer

11 posts since 7 Nov, 2010

Postby charliecrash; Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:49 pm Re: In-the-womb drums

Sounds like its reverbed through filters and then saturated in tubedistortion, heavily compressed and waveshaped with envelopes. Pretty hard to make good, and it'll take a lot of time.
Sendy
KVRAF

4418 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:56 pm Re: In-the-womb drums

A good analog modelled filter like The Drop with a healthy dose of drive can work wonders for warming up a sound. I've found myself cutting highs more and more as time goes on, with either EQ or a nice LPF. Digital recording and synthesis preserve the highs too well (almost perfectly) so when you have multiple tracks, they can tend to have a harsh high end.

A good tip with reverbed drums is to sample the reverb of each hit, then you can cut it off when the next one sounds (or not, your call), which can really let you amp up the bigness without getting muddy layers of overlapping tails.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
PatchAdamz
KVRAF

1757 posts since 12 Nov, 2012

Postby PatchAdamz; Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 pm Re: In-the-womb drums

Charms wrote:You guys know that rich, warm, fetus-like kick and snare in Björk's song Unravel?

It is too dang good!

No problem Charms, simply get back into the womb and record it. :tu:

Love that Bjork.
Charms
KVRer

Postby Charms; Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:15 am Re: In-the-womb drums

Sendy wrote: I've found myself cutting highs more and more as time goes on, with either EQ or a nice LPF. Digital recording and synthesis preserve the highs too well (almost perfectly) so when you have multiple tracks, they can tend to have a harsh high end.

You know, I hadn't even thought to cut the highs, and it's so obvious to me now that that's where a lot of the sharpness probably come from! Haha, thanks!
Charms
KVRer

Postby Charms; Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 am Re: In-the-womb drums

PatchAdamz wrote:
Charms wrote:You guys know that rich, warm, fetus-like kick and snare in Björk's song Unravel?

It is too dang good!

No problem Charms, simply get back into the womb and record it. :tu:

Love that Bjork.

Hahah! Yeah, that's pretty much what I've got to do. She is magnificent!
BertKoor
KVRAF

8303 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:53 am Re: In-the-womb drums

All good advice above... But to me it distinctively sounds played back at half speed as well.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
Ah_Dziz
KVRian

1212 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Postby Ah_Dziz; Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:27 pm Re: In-the-womb drums

low pitched drums>dark room reverb>bitcruscher or distortion capable of breaking up the sound good>lowpass filter with minimal resonance> compressor> transient modifier.

That will do it. You might want to sample regular pitch drums through your reverb and then pitch them down after in order to further darken the sound and make it sound like more of a part of the sound.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Sound Design